Thoughts on Centenary Book by Rhett | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thoughts on Centenary Book by Rhett

feisty tige

Tiger Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Dandenong
Just thought perhaps we could have a discussion thread on the parts we like most from the Centenary book and thought here might be a good place to place it.

I have only got up to just after the bit on Dyer at around page 60 or there abouts. But so far have liked it when they have talked about biffing opposition players and how rough as guts it used to be.

And how at training they would do actual match training not just handball like these days... ;D

I look forward to reading other thoughts from fellow PRE's.

By the way, great read so far and no holds barred it seems! :clap

i have browsed through the copy i have as it is a present so i best not wear it out!! ( and no dear brother , it is not for you!!!)

it is a beautiful looking book....i have read quite a bit of it...i will have to get my own copy after christmas

but what a great job abd some great stories....well done rhett :)

We had an early Christmas so that is why I am reading mine, I didn't have to wait long! ;D

:cheesysanta Merry Christmas everyone!

I have just finished the book. Congratulations to Rhett. Well researched and gives a 1st hand look into some of the personalities and times at Richmond.
Some of the people interviewed were just "names" to me. Big "names," but I didn't know too much about them.
A lot I did know eg Jack Dyer and a couple of others came from anecdotes and papers etc. But this at least gives a more in depth view, and it seems that you can appreciate the players and atmosphere, the tough times, not just in a footy sense but in everyday life (early & mid-century).
Bloody tough breed back then. A lot were men at a very young age, when they tell you about their jobs and they had to walk, run or ride a bike to & from,& for work.
Geez to make a comparison with some of the kids today.
I don't want to go into it too much as I know a lot still want to read it, I mean its not a mystery novel but some people might crack it, if so stay off this thread I guess!!
But in short I appreciate Rhetts' work in bringing all of us this great read.

willo said:
I don't want to go into it too much as I know a lot still want to read it, I mean its not a mystery novel but some people might crack it, if so stay off this thread I guess!!
But in short I appreciate Rhetts' work in bringing all of us this great read.

I nearly didn't start this thread because I thought some people may be waiting for Christmas, but I could not wait ! :D

I am yet to finish the book as I just read it in spits and spurts.

Of course, many supporters will get a chance to see it at Christmas Day i assume, but to those who have already said a few words of feedback thank you very much for that.

the Dyer chapter is interesting- as dyer was ill by the time I had started he was unable to be interviewed, so the players around him spoke about him, painting a picture about him that always isn't flash- but still shows what an extraordinary strong and important figure he was.

Rhett Bartlett

Tried to pick up a copy this morning and it was sold out at both book stores in Warragul.
They told me it was a very popular christmas book.

Well done Rhett.

Was told that *smile* Clay and Kevin Sheedy did not have chapters in the book.
Is this true?

I think there might have to be another book to get more in!! :D

Maybe Rhett is still trying to decipher Sheedy's story!!?? ;D

blackandyellowmatt said:
Tried to pick up a copy this morning and it was sold out at both book stores in Warragul.
They told me it was a very popular christmas book.

Well done Rhett.

Was told that *smile* Clay and Kevin Sheedy did not have chapters in the book.
Is this true?

Both Clay and Sheedy are mentioned through the book but do not have stand alone chapters. Yet. Maybe for a later version
Maybe try www.gspbooks.com.au if you are trying to get one pretty quick

Thanks Rhett, its not for Christmas or anything.
Just finally had some spare cash to buy it.
Think I will still try and be patient and hold out for the LE.

All the best over Christmas & and NYE for you and your loved ones Rhett.

Thanks for the kind words.

If post christmas you are still looking for the book, you can buy straight through publisher at www.gspbooks.com.au

Any limited edition book will occur in the new year. No date confirmed yet etc

Merry Xmas all

Rhett Bartlett

rbartlett said:
Done yesterday........ quick and simple process. It's now up to them and Santa as to how soon it arrives at my son's place.

Santa arrived today for me as well.

On first appearances I can't speak highly enough about this book.
I'm in the design industry myself and this book is magnificently presented.
Obviously a lot of TLC has gone into this publication.

Bravo Rhett. Congratulations you have done the RFC proud. :)

Tigers of old

i was amazed at how beautiful the book looks myself, and the use of pictures and colour throughout it.
That's the efforts of Andrew and James from geoff slattery publishing.

regards
rhett

rbartlett said:
Tigers of old

i was amazed at how beautiful the book looks myself, and the use of pictures and colour throughout it.
That's the efforts of Andrew and James from geoff slattery publishing.

regards
rhett

Well Rhett, Andrew and James deserve a massive pat on the back because their skills are exceptional and it is an extremely professionally presented piece.
Honestly without bias I have seen few football books published as beautifully as this.
I can only imagine that those artists are Tiger fans and if they aren't they now should be. 8)

Pass on my appreciation for their work from this Tiger.

rbartlett said:
Both Clay and Sheedy are mentioned through the book but do not have stand alone chapters. Yet. Maybe for a later version
that link just takes you to the gsp site,then from there it can take you a little bit of time to find rhett`s book.
this link takes you directly to the book.
http://www.gspbooks.com.au/books/Richmond+FC+-+A+Century+Of+League+Football/