Thoughts on Centenary Book by Rhett | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thoughts on Centenary Book by Rhett

What a great day!

A few beers watching the Boxing Day Test coverage as well as reading (almost) cover to cover this amazing publication.

One paragraph that struck me early on in the book was from Vic Thorp. I won't say word for word what's written (at the risk of breaching copyright), but the sentiment that every Richmond player that pulls on an RFC jumper goes out and tries his absolute best regardless of his skill level.

"So I plead you to honour every man who wears your uniform" - Vic Thorp

It's been a long time since a book has stirred the emotions like this one.

Well done Rhett on a incrediable book, finally a detailed picture of the Richmond Football Club.
I was just wondering about Jack Dyer, true or false?
Did he become a police officer so he didnt have to joint the Army? this is what someone told me.
But I also heard that he had to stay back from the Army to keep morale high in Australia.
Just wanted to know your thoughts on this.

To me it sounds like blastformy (spelling).

tigerbeau said:
Well done Rhett on a incrediable book, finally a detailed picture of the Richmond Football Club.
Did he become a police officer so he didnt have to joint the Army? this is what someone told me.
But I also heard that he had to stay back from the Army to keep morale high in Australia.

stop hanging around with Collingwood (spit) fans

tigerbeau said:

no,complete crap that one.
he joined the police force in 1934, 5 years before the war started.

"In 1934, he joined the police force for no other reason than the cops paid
six shillings a week more than the fire brigade".

Ghost.
Well happy birthday.!
Now if this season gets ya down, just trawl through the Premiership photos at the back of the book. Hope you find a favourite chapter

There is a discussion to reprint the book (not for this year I don't think)- as most of the book is sold out.
I have already done some additional interviews (Stephen Parsons- remember him!), and have a few lined up in the coming weeks ( Cloke/ Jess )- to give a few more chapters in a reprint

- Rhett Bartlett.

Rhett

Just wondering why there was so much focus on so many obscure players from the past when you only featured 5 players from the last 30 years. I would have thought that players such as Raines, Wood, Cloke and Campbell deserved recognition for their contribution to the club, especially when there a pages on players that played only a handful of games for the club.

Regardless though it is a fantastic book and I was most pleased to have it signed by yourself, KB and Tom Hafey.

Sergio

Serpico.
a few answers to your questions.
Firstly, alot of the early players had passed away, so those who were left had play a handful or under 100 games.
having said that, the more obscure players in the book say 'Arthur Barr Kemp, Sid Dockendorff, Tom Allen, Brian Davie' all have very interesting observations of the club. You find often those who were not at the club for a long length have strong memories and opinions of the club.

Having said that- a reprint is in the works, and as such , further interviews will be conducted for the reprint. As stated before, Jess and Cloke are booked in for an interview. I have made contact with Geoff Raines to be interviewed- and will also interview , I hope, *smile* Clay, Brian Wood, Michael Green as well.

So hopefull it will help fill in any gaps. Always remember, it is a book which will grow with each year

Rhett Bartlett
rhettrospective.com

rbartlett said:
Serpico.
a few answers to your questions.
Firstly, alot of the early players had passed away, so those who were left had play a handful or under 100 games.
having said that, the more obscure players in the book say 'Arthur Barr Kemp, Sid Dockendorff, Tom Allen, Brian Davie' all have very interesting observations of the club. You find often those who were not at the club for a long length have strong memories and opinions of the club.

Having said that- a reprint is in the works, and as such , further interviews will be conducted for the reprint. As stated before, Jess and Cloke are booked in for an interview. I have made contact with Geoff Raines to be interviewed- and will also interview , I hope, *smile* Clay, Brian Wood, Michael Green as well.

So hopefull it will help fill in any gaps. Always remember, it is a book which will grow with each year

Rhett Bartlett
rhettrospective.com
So when you say a reprint Rhett, I take it to mean all the same character interviews plus extras, or will it be the extra interviews by themselves?

Hi Rhett,
Have browsed the book at the AFL shops & I do admire the work & presentation of the book. Great stuff.
What really impressed me is the overall presentation of the book, it looks very classy with a touch of heritage feel to it.

You had mentioned of a possibility of a limited edition book being released & have held off in buying this 1st Edition (only becuase the "wife" won't understand me buying it twice). Nearly bought the book at the signing in the city.

I have expressed interest in this book, is there any news if that will eventuate?

(reason I don't wish to miss out on this being sold out & might hint for my birthday coming up)

A lBundy

Cheers mate
I would suggest oyu buy the book that is in the book shop

The limited edition version wont be out anytime soon- the next version will probably be an updated version with additional chapter (ie: David Cloke, Campbell, Raines, Jess etc). But that is not til some time down the track.

My recommendation would be to buy it now before it sells out- as I believe there is only around 400 left

Rhett