Tigers celebrate, Dons drown sorrows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers celebrate, Dons drown sorrows

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigers celebrate, Dons drown sorrows
By Peter Hanlon
May 11 2003

Kevin Sheedy went home to Punt Road last night, still the enemy coach but welcomed into the old fold. For Richmond, there could be no better time to revive an old football tradition than when you've just beaten Essendon by 42 points.

In a move instigated by the clubs' presidents, and not seen consistently at AFL level for nearly two decades, the Tigers welcomed their opponents, club officials and umpires into their inner sanctum for an old-fashioned, post-match get together.

There was a modern addition to the routine - both teams went through their warm-down in the new Punt Road swimming pool - before all retired to the social club to mull over the day.

"We talked about it a couple of weeks ago - I'm showing my age now - about going back to the old-fashioned after-matches every now and again," Frawley said. "It's probably gone out of football and we want to make sure with a few clubs . . . it's dog-eat-dog, but after the game, you can sit down and have a coldie together."

Before the match, Sheedy had described it thus: "Have the battle on the field, but you can actually have a life off it." Afterwards, he said it would do his beaten players "the world of good to go back there", adding that it provided a rare chance to mix with opponents, umpires and officials that was commonplace 15 years ago.

"I think there's a missing link there between the camaraderie that was there in the VFL days, particularly with umpires," Sheedy said. "It's tough for us this week, but that's life. Someone was going to lose today."

After bucking a trend that, before yesterday, had Essendon leading the Tigers 30-9 head-to-head since Sheedy, the former Tiger, arrived at Windy Hill, it was clear who was going to enjoy a drink the most. As Richmond's Mark Coughlan noted: "I don't know how long they'll be hanging around."