Tigers defend Stafford-Everitt clash | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers defend Stafford-Everitt clash

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigers defend Stafford-Everitt clash
1:14:42 PM Sun 27 April, 2003
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

Richmond has come out in defence of ruckman Greg Stafford with skipper Wayne Campbell and football manager Greg Hutchison both adamant Stafford should not face the AFL Tribunal for the incident which left Hawthorn ruckman Peter Everitt with a fractured cheekbone.

Stafford’s forearm made contact to Everitt’s face causing the serious injury during a second quarter centre bounce contest on Saturday afternoon at the MCG.

At the time the Hawks were leading by 45 points with Everitt dominating, having kicked two goals as well as having a hand in several others due to his brilliant ruckwork.

But once he left the field, the Tigers took over to such an extent that they pulled off the greatest comeback in their history – winning by 20 points – with Stafford kicking three goals.

After the game the Hawks were seething over the Everitt-Stafford clash but speaking on Channel Nine’s Sunday Footy Show – Everitt refused to be drawn into the controversy.

“At this stage I don’t think the club or myself really want to comment on the incident itself,” Everitt said.

Everitt said he will have surgery on Monday and he is expected to miss at least the next two matches.

While the incident is certain to be closely looked at during the AFL’s video review on Monday – the Tigers are adamant Stafford should not have to front the tribunal.

Skipper Wayne Campbell told Channel Nine the incident was part of ruck play.

“That the first time I saw it and from what I had heard it was supposed to be quite bad,” Campbell said.

“But I thought Greg’s eyes were on the footy and ruckman do tend to fend off like that, it’s just unfortunate Spider’s (Everitt’s) head was in the way.”

Stafford’s clash with Everitt came just a fortnight after much-respected Channel Nine commentator Dennis Cometti claimed during a Richmond-Fremantle match that the former Sydney big man had a reputation within the AFL for leading with his arms and elbows during contests.

“He is all angles and points Greg Stafford,” Cometti said after a clash in which Stafford crashed into Fremantle youngster Robert Haddrill.

“There is one of those points and it’s not on. He is getting a reputation around the league, Greg Stafford.”

However an angry Hutchison later told Melbourne radio station Triple M that the club believed Stafford was being unfairly singled out for his style of play.

“I just get really disappointed all the Greg Stafford incidents (such as the one with Haddrill) get raised, previous incidents which had nothing to do with this game of football (against Hawthorn),” he said.

Hutchison said the incident in which Everitt had suffered the injury was no different to the many other centre bounce contests that take place in AFL games.

“If you watch ruck contests very clearly, every contest ruckmen go into they go up with one arm to fend off the other ruckman and then use their other arm to tap the ball,” he said.

“In this case unfortunately there has been an incident where a player had been injured and no-one likes to see players get injured.”

“I’m disappointed for Peter Everitt and the Hawthorn Football Club as well but if you watch ruck contests closely – you watch how the contact is made at every centre bounce.”

Hutchison also strongly denied Stafford’s actions could have been termed reckless – which in tribunal cases can be used to suspend players even if they find the actions of the player weren’t deliberate.

“If you take the time to watch the incident, and every ruck contest, you will see it’s not a reckless act,” Hutchison said.

“He just goes about his craft and that’s how ruckman play.”

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I'm glad the club have come out and defended Staff in this incident.
I've never seen a player discussed so much week in week out in the media.
I can't help thinking if Everitt wasn't injured by the contact we wouldn't have heard another thing about it.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
i listened to the hutchison interview.
micheal christian wouldnt let it go and is adamant that stafford,s actions was reckless.
talk about a lynch mob.