Tigers earn their stripes (Herald Sun) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers earn their stripes (Herald Sun)

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Tigers earn their stripes
22 June 2003 Sunday Herald Sun
By HOWARD LEIGH

A GROUP of Richmond players who last week were labelled as "Spud's Duds" answered the challenge in yesterday's VFL match at the Coburg City Opal.

With Richmond coach Danny "Spud" Frawley watching on, several senior Tigers backed up yesterday with the Coburg affiliate.

Rory Hilton, Adam Houlihan, David Rodan, Tim Fleming, Kayne Pettifer and Craig Biddiscombe joined other listed Tigers Mark Dragicevic, Ben Holland, Royce Vardy and Clinton King in the match against Carlton affiliate the Northern Bullants.

Rodan, who was in doubt because of a groin strain, played more than a half before being rested, despite close tagging by Bullant midfielder Frankie Raso. Rodan finished with six kicks and five handballs.

Coburg won the physical encounter 10.10 (70) to the Northern Bullants 9.7 (61) to register its second win of the season.

Houlihan 25, who has played all 12 games for Richmond this year, was the pick of the bunch, kicking two first-quarter goals and helping form a wall across the half-back line with Holland and Hilton in the tense final quarter.

Houlihan finished with 23 kicks, five handballs and six marks.

Dragicevic, 22, took a giant step forward yesterday after two knee reconstructions which threatened his career. He gathered 16 kicks, 10 handballs and four marks and with King worked strongly under packs and at stoppages.

Coburg coach Paul Spargo said Dragicevic was to be admired for the way he had fought his way back after almost two years out of football.

"Each week he is getting better and we are now really starting to see the way he can play," Spargo said.

Holland claimed six kicks, nine handballs and five marks. Since coming back from a knee reconstruction, he has had to bear a thigh muscle strain and a VFL suspension. "I've had a mixed bag of fruit, but my knee has been good," Holland said.

Biddiscombe had 18 possessions, King 17, Hilton and Pettifer 15 disposals and two goals and Fleming had 13. Vardy booted two goals with five touches before being benched in the final quarter.