Tigers eye Brown, Stevens (RFC site) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers eye Brown, Stevens (RFC site)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigers eye Brown, Stevens
Samantha Lane
afl.com.au
2:46:42 PM Sat 13 September, 2003

Richmond’s director of football Greg Miller says the club has specifically targeted out-of-contract stars Nathan Brown and Nick Stevens as potential recruits over the trade period.

Having recently sent a newsletter to members announcing the club was chasing ‘a big name recruit’, Miller identified Western Bulldogs forward Brown and Port Adelaide midfielder Stevens as ideal personnel to bolster the side that placed 13th this year.

“We’ll be looking at the likes of Nathan Brown, Nick Stevens, the guys that are out of contract who would help us,” Miller told Melbourne radio 3AW on Saturday.

“I think that we lack depth. We’re three short on our list. For one reason or other we’re three short, we’re also short on our rookie list, so there’s a bit to make up there.”

Tigers coach Danny Frawley told afl.com.au earlier in the week, that other recruiting priorities for the club was another go-to forward, a quick and tough midfielder, and a young ruckman.

Richmond is expected to be aggressive in the October trading period, and Miller suggested there would be little sympathy for the club’s underperforming listed players.

“Some guys have had three or four years and they simply won’t be there next year,” he said.

Veteran Leon Cameron is the only Tiger to have retired in 2003, but the playing futures of Duncan Kellaway and Matthew Rogers are undecided, despite the fact they are both contracted.

“Both those guys are contracted, so they’ll make their mind up over the next month, we’ll talk to them,” Miller said.

Meanwhile, Miller denied two Richmond players had been arrested in relation to an incident that saw ruckman Greg Stafford fined for assaulting two people in New Zealand while on the players’ end of season trip.

Miller said he would be contacting Stafford about the incident on Monday, but admitted to always feeling uneasy at the beginning of the off-season.

“I guess this time of year you do hold your breath, because mad Monday, end of season trip, then all the things that go on when players are under so much pressure during the year,” he said.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Add Brown and Stevens and a couple of other surprises and we'd be a very new look Tigers.
Exciting thought seeing the team we've had the last couple of seasons wasn't going anywhere exciting fast.

Interesting Dunc is contracted still. We missed that one on our PRE contract list.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
I dont like the sounds of giving up our 1st rd draft pick. We dont really have any players that Port would be interested in.
However, The Bulldogs would be interested in Holland and a 4th round pick

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
and Miller suggested there would be little sympathy for the club’s underperforming listed players.

“Some guys have had three or four years and they simply won’t be there next year,” he said.

What about the guys that have been underperforming their whole careers? Cambo, Richo, Holland and co!

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
rosy3 said:

So basically that means King, Biddiscombe and Vardy

rosy3 said:
Veteran Leon Cameron is the only Tiger to have retired in 2003, but the playing futures of Duncan Kellaway and Matthew Rogers are undecided, despite the fact they are both contracted.

“Both those guys are contracted, so they’ll make their mind up over the next month, we’ll talk to them,” Miller said.

I think the club would be keen for one of these two to retire, as it would clear up cap room, with one of them able to join Cambo on the veterans list

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
How is trading away valuable early draft picks for the likes of Stevens and Brown going to improve Richmond woeful depth?

We tried that with Johnson last year and it didn't help one little bit. Our midfield was still crap and still finished last in clearances and we gave up a solid player in Torney plus downgraded our first 3 round draft picks.

By the time the club managers to develop a decent list (if ever) to support these players they'll be in their late 20 and their best football will be behind them. Not to mention the high salary that these types will demand.

It appears as though Miller is just putting a new spin on the same old tired recruiting strategy that has failed Richmond time and time and TIME again.

P.S. JohnF you forgot to mention Campbells 2 All Australian selections, Vic representation, Ireland tours and being the clubs leading possession getting from about '97 to '02.

Bulluss

Go the Mighty Tigers
Aug 11, 2003
Melbourne
D.Kellaway extended his contract by one year when Holland and Gaspar held the club to ransom for an addtional $50K. Why cant others have the club in mind and put them first like Duncs.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
DragicevicFan said:
I think the club would be keen for one of these two to retire, as it would clear up cap room, with one of them able to join Cambo on the veterans list

Intertesting point here DF. Both those players can go on the veteran list with Campbo.

Surely they wouldn't be expected to retire with a year of contract left and not receive any payment?

If the club decided they weren't required players and paid them out I wonder if we can claim the vererans discount on the salary cap

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
I dont think i made much sense in my previous post, probably cause i dont really understand the veterans list.

If we have a third player on the veterans list, how much of their salary isnt counted in the cap??

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
It changes with how many palyers on the vet list...3 can claim 1/3 each.....4 claim 1/4 each etc.

tigerjoe

EAT 'EM ALIVE TIGERS!
Aug 24, 2003
Melbourne
How is trading away valuable early draft picks for the likes of Stevens and Brown going to improve Richmond woeful depth?

We tried that with Johnson last year and it didn't help one little bit. Our midfield was still crap and still finished last in clearances and we gave up a solid player in Torney plus downgraded our first 3 round draft picks.

You are spot on Tigerfuriuos it hasn't worked for us in the past and it won't work now because we don't have the coaches with the necessary skills to bring us success.

vladz

Take us forward!
Jul 20, 2003
Canterbury
Shouldn't we be looking to get a key backman? Of course i agree that we need a midfielder to hel Cogs and Johno but Gaspar can't handle a whole backline by his own.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
It is obvious that the club is very interested in Nathan Brown. He is a very talented player that can play in a variety of positions eg up forward, in the midfield or across half back.

What do we think it will take to get him?

Is it possible that the Bulldogs might accept Ben Holland and Joel Bowden in exchange for Nathan Brown?

That way the Tigers wouldn't be giving up an early draft pick for a gun player.

Holland would give the dogs some much needed height in either attack or defence and Bowden could be utilised in a variety of positions. Given the fact that the Bulldogs already have a young list and already have a number of early picks in the draft they may be looking for some readymade players that can bolster their list rather than some more early draft picks (which they already have plenty of).

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Young Tiger said:
Is it possible that the Bulldogs might accept Ben Holland and Joel Bowden in exchange for Nathan Brown?

That way the Tigers wouldn't be giving up an early draft pick for a gun player.

Exactly YT. There is scope here to trade without giving up our first round draft pick for a quality player, but it will take some negotiating, but that is why we supposedly got MILLER in the first place.

If we are very smart we may actually be able to off load some of the overpaid players and actually gain high level draft picks. Now that would be a change.

Problems is, as many have said already, we don't have a lot that have trade value that we can afford to offload.

It is a matter of finding a club that wants what we see as being tradeable and getting the best for that deal.

This will no doubt be one of the most interesting and crucial trade period for the Tigers in quite a few years.

At least MILLERS seems to have mapped out a 3 year plan which is obviously more than has occured in the past.

P

PuntRoadRoar

i doubt we will trade out first pick for either player... i think our second pick will be used with a few of our duds in trade swaps.

but seriously how nice it sounds to get those 2 players i dont think we will even get just 1 of them.........