Tigers find that goal kicking small forward | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers find that goal kicking small forward

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Zantuck has 4 goals just after half time.

Umpire just gave PICKETT a goal for taking a dive that the commentator described as a Joke.

At least we're having a bit of a crack today.

We do so much better when we go direct.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I'm finding it so hard to get enthused. Sounds like they're having a crack at times then quickly reverting to bad habits.

I haven't watched any of the game yet but the guys on 3L0 are a big wrap for Hyde's efforts. I'd love to know why Chris has never been given a go. Even this week he probably wouldn't have got a guernsey if Spud's useless PETtifer wasn't injured.

They are pretty keen on Fiora's game too.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Exactly Rosy.

3AW haven't mentioned them a lot but both have been far from disgraceful with 17 and 13 possession a piece halfway through the last quarter.

Ports Inaccuracy have kept us in the game though.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Oh well, only a week until next season starts for us.

I hope some miracles occur in the next couple of months, because another season like the last two would just be unbearable.

Bring on the changes.

Interesting Greg Miller in a pre game interview was discussing the culture of the club.

He said we mightn't see things they are doing now come to fruition for a couple of years until the next generation of leaders comes through.

He named Cogs, Otto and Zantuck.

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
During the past 21 weeks, there have many posters on here severely doubting the worth and abilities of Fiora and Zantuck.

My personal opinion of these 2 players has always been that they will be very good players for the RFC. I think the major problem in halting their progress is our one and only DUD, who would be capable of turning the likes of Daniel Wells into an uderachieving player.

Zantuck has been played in 4 or 5 different positions throughout the season, coming out on top of his opponent in the majority of games. Today cemented his worth with 5 goals from 6 kicks, good leading into the corridor and equally good disposal into the forward line from Fiora on 3 or 4 occassions.

Dispose of the 10 or so 'talentless' hacks around these blokes, with players who actually have footy brains, and watch Ty and Aaron progress into consistent, servicable players at worst with potential to become match winning players given the right coaching and direction.

As it stands, both their places on the Richmond list for 2004 should be signed and sealed at seasons end.

R

rampagingtiger

Zantuck is no where near being a decent small forward...if the club ever believes that hes a small forward we may as well shut down the place.

iLoVeNeWmAn

Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
I agree that Zantuck is not a small forward, but IMO today's effort showed that his place on the Richmond list is definately warranted.

He has played the majority of his games at FB in the absence of *smile*, but with his one foray at FF he manages to kick five goals and more impressively, lead smart and well which most other FF players for us have not been able to do.

He has a big frame, if fairly composed and has been given big jobs on top name players this year. Although akward, his disposal is quite good and he is one of the few on our list who has both the vision and accuracy to find players inboard in starting an attack.

Being versatile coupled with his age (he's 22 I think) gives me the 'belief' that he will a plus for us in the coming years.

But, like Ben Haynes, we will never know his true potential as long as the potato man is coaching the club.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Just got home from the game and it was pretty empty in the stands!

Hyde's game was encouraging though he did make bad decisions on occasion. He more than once looked backwards for a handball option when he had clear kicking options 40m up the ground. However, when he's had as little senior game time as he has, i guess you have to cut him some slack.

There was definitely enough there to make you ask why it's taken till now to throw him in and give him a go. Had we done this in the early rounds, we'd likely have had another half decent midfielder by mid season.

Zantuck has always been good. He's a competitor, but he's only a pinch hit forward.

Fiora was good, and will be better if he's ever played in his correct position on the wing. If i was coaching the opposition and saw Fiora line up on the wing, my first instruction to his opponent would be to try go forward as much as possible to keep him on defensive side, because his offensive skills are so good. However, Frawley does this for the opposition by playing him back.

Credit where credit is due. Joel Bowden had a lot of the ball and was very polished with his skills. We got a couple of goals and should have had a few more from dead accurate passes from his boot. He conceded a few goals to his direct opponent, but this happened when Joel was sucked into play trying to cover other opponent who had got loose.

He might be our first trade option, but he could embarrass the heck out of us under a positive coach.

mongrel_punt

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Mar 4, 2003
Hawthorn
[quote author=frickenel

He might be our first trade option, but he could embarrass the heck out of us under a positive coach.

I agree with a lot you had to say frickenel. And as you quote, Richmond seem to coach to the negatives and never to our strengths.

I'd let the coaching staff go, before Joel.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
Zantuck was excellent today for a non established forward leading very direct. I can only conclude that after playing on some big names in recent times eg Lloyd last week that he has learnt a lot and knows where a forward should lead to.

Perhaps some of our more established forwards should be sent down back to play on a player the calibre of Lloyd so that they can learn where they should be leading to in the forward line?

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Hate to put a dampener on the Zantuck luv fest but IMHO he has no hope of cutting it as a forward, long term. He lacks the skill or creativity required to be a long term success up forward.

Still, its good for the lad to have another string to his bow but if he's got a future it lies in the backline.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
rosy3 said:

AS QUOTED BY ROSY

I haven't watched any of the game yet but the guys on 3L0 are a big wrap for Hyde's efforts. I'd love to know why Chris has never been given a go. Even this week he probably wouldn't have got a guernsey if Spud's useless PETtifer wasn't injured.

Rosy the 3LO comentator must of been in the medillion club bar for the game.
Hyde proabably had 4 or 5 kicks and 6 to 8 handballs
Should of kicked a goal but was too frightened too kick it. A big wrap, probably not, sorry to disappoint you.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
frickenel said:
Hyde's game was encouraging though he did make bad decisions on occasion. He more than once looked backwards for a handball option when he had clear kicking options 40m up the ground. However, when he's had as little senior game time as he has, i guess you have to cut him some slack.

Yep sounds like he was following instructions, you know the ones that are not really our game plan, but everyone plays

Fiora was good, and will be better if he's ever played in his correct position on the wing. If i was coaching the opposition and saw Fiora line up on the wing, my first instruction to his opponent would be to try go forward as much as possible to keep him on defensive side, because his offensive skills are so good. However, Frawley does this for the opposition by playing him back.

What else do you expect from Mr Negative himself

Yeah thats what worries me to.

iLoVeNeWmAn

Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
TigerFurious said:
Hate to put a dampener on the Zantuck luv fest but IMHO he has no hope of cutting it as a forward, long term. He lacks the skill or creativity required to be a long term success up forward.

Still, its good for the lad to have another string to his bow but if he's got a future it lies in the backline.

While I don't think Zantuck will be played as our FF for the next 10 years, I struggle to see why you would say he lacks the neccessary skill or creativity as a forward.

First of all, I don't think you need an abundance of skill to be a FF - just enough to be able to turn sharply and kick at goal (which is something Richo couldn't and never will be able to do) and something that Ty can do quite comfortably.

As for creativity, I recall a couple of games last year (against Collingwood and another) where Ty ran forward and kicked a couple goals off the ground that most proffessional soccer players would have been proud of. Also another ripper was against Sydney this year where he kicked a clever goal.

For a player who hasn't spent much time down there, he definately has the composure, the strength and the accuracy to play somewhere in the forward line.

As for your luv fest comments, I would like to know who you think would have done a better job than Ty this afternoon??? Are you one of those guys who thinks Kane Pettifer deserves a game???

FoX

Tiger Cub
Jul 27, 2003
Again spudly shows his lack of creativity. Why not try a move like that before the slump took over our season?
Port can shuffle thier players in a number of diff positions whereas frawley stuck too his grinding one dimensional gameplan making us too predictable and easily exploitable.
Has filled a large hole with gaspars injury in defence but sometimes the best defence is a good.....