Tigers hit by $85,000 lawsuit (HeraldSun) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers hit by $85,000 lawsuit (HeraldSun)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigers hit by $85,000 lawsuit
04 April 2004 Sunday Herald Sun
Glenn McFarlane

TWO former Richmond Football Club employees are suing the club for almost $85,000.

In court documents lodged separately this week in both the County and Magistrates Court, the former employees claim the Tigers owe them $57,916 and $26,491 respectively in commission on sales and bonuses.

There is speculation that several other former employees are also considering legal action against the embattled club.

"I'm aware from my clients that there were other people who were dismissed or resigned in similar circumstances who have money owing to them and may be stepping forward," said Eugene Arocca, litigation partner for Maurice, Blackburn, Cashman.

The documents allege that former sponsorship manager Jon Toop was told by Richmond chief executive Ian Campbell last November that the club's financial predicament was so tenuous that it had made his position redundant.

"They gave that as a reason for dismissing him, and others," Arocca said.

"To dismiss a person at the upper end of the ladder because the club is in financial trouble is ludicrous when that person is obviously important to the sponsorship dollar."

Toop, who started in the role at Punt Rd in 2001, is claiming the sum of $38,416 representing commission on sales and a further $19,500 in bonuses.

Another former employee, Clint Hillas, a corporate sales executive, is claiming $25,091 representing commission on sales and $3500 in bonuses. Hillas resigned from his role after a meeting with Campbell in December last year.

Campbell said yesterday: "It has been passed to our lawyers, but we are essentially unavailable for comment due to the nature of the action. We have received some documents, I'm not aware of any new ones."

Richmond replaced six staff members in December, outsourcing a number of its commercial operations.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9179850%5E19771,00.html

Don't worry, I'm sure President Clinton has it all under control.

If he could talk, I'm sure he'd tell us that :mad: