Tigers must deliver: Frawley (richmondfc.com.au) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers must deliver: Frawley (richmondfc.com.au)

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Tigers must deliver: Frawley
Paul Gough
afl.com.au
1:54:05 PM Thu 17 July, 2003

Richmond coach Danny Frawley says his side – without a win since May – will have to produce its best performance of the season on Friday night if it is to end its long losing streak by beating in-form Collingwood.

The Tigers have slumped from third to 11th on the ladder since their last victory – way back in round eight against Melbourne - and now find themselves up against a side peaking at the right time following three straight wins.

And the Tigers will go into Friday’s game at the MCG and indeed every game for the remainder of this season without their captain Wayne Campbell and vice-captain Darren Gaspar, who are out for the rest of the year with achilles and knee injuries respectively.

It sounds like mission impossible and even Frawley agreed before training on Thursday that the Tigers faced a difficult task this week – even more so considering the club is coming off its third loss by less than a kick in the past five rounds.

“We are in a position we didn’t want to be in after a terrific start to the season and it’s going to be a challenge to how we react to even last week’s performance,” he said of the last minute defeat to Geelong.

“We are pretty dirty on ourselves to be in this position but morale is positive.”

Frawley said the ‘common denominator’ in each of the Tigers recent close losses to the Kangaroos, Carlton and Geelong was the absence of both Campbell and Gaspar due to injury in the dying stages - which has robbed the team of its ability to steady under pressure.

And he admits the absence of Gaspar, who did his knee in the dying minutes of the round 11 loss against the Kangaroos, will be felt even more this week.

That is because he would have been the man to stand Collingwood’s in-form spearhead Chris Tarrant.

"Darren Gaspar probably has the best record in the competition on Tarrant if you look at the last five times he has played on him – he is irreplaceable," Frawley said before nominating Ty Zantuck, Andrew Kellaway and even much-maligned midfielder Joel Bowden as possible opponents for Tarrant.

Frawley said the Tigers’ second group of leaders, players such as Brad Ottens, Ben Holland and Justin Blumfield had not been able to fill the void left by Campbell and Gaspar because of their own injury problems.

But for all the difficulties the Tigers are enduring in 2003, Frawley has not written-off the season just yet although he was also quick to acknowledge the enormity of the task confronting his team against the Magpies.

“We still think we’ve just got to win a game of football and keep ourselves in the (finals) hunt, that’s all we’ve talked about,” he said.

“(But) Collingwood play a good brand of team orientated football and they have got a hell of a lot of confidence.’

“They (Collingwood) are a terrific side, well-coached and well-disciplined and we will have to play some of our best football of the year to win.”

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
DragicevicFan said:
Frawley said the ‘common denominator’ in each of the Tigers recent close losses to the Kangaroos, Carlton and Geelong was the absence of both Campbell and Gaspar due to injury in the dying stages - which has robbed the team of its ability to steady under pressure.

I think there are more important common denominators that that Danny.

What about our style of play? What about the lack of passion?

The common denominator is these are teams we should have beaten convincinly and if Danny thinks close results
mean the Richmond team is only Campbo and Gaspar away from the cellar dwelling teams he's in denial imo.

A very poor start was a bigger factor in last weeks loss rather than a couple of players out injured.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
rosy3 said:
DragicevicFan said:

I think there are more important common denominators that that Danny.

What about our style of play? What about the lack of passion?

The common denominator is these are teams we should have beaten convincinly and if Danny thinks close results
mean the Richmond team is only Campbo and Gaspar away from the cellar dwelling teams he's in denial imo.

A very poor start was a bigger factor in last weeks loss rather than a couple of players out injured.

Very well said Rosy - not much more is needed to be said. Can't Frawely just say "It is/was not good enough" and leave it at that, instead of making up excuses. This frustrates the tiger fans even more than the crappy performances.

Did he stop to think that the cats were without their best player and we had our best 21 before he used injuries as an excuse.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Agree wholeheartedly rosy.

“We still think we’ve just got to win a game of football and keep ourselves in the (finals) hunt, that’s all we’ve talked about,” he said.

Danny, we haven't won a game for 2 months, we're 2 1/2 games outside the eight with only 7 games to go and we can't beat bottom sides like Carlton and Geelong.

Plan and play for 2004 and the future.

“(But) Collingwood play a good brand of team orientated football and they have got a hell of a lot of confidence.’They (Collingwood) are a terrific side.... well-disciplined

Sadly we don't play a good brand of team orientated footy :mad: and many of our players are not disciplined.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Leaving out the Sydney game and the first half on Saturday, I think the boys have given each game a good crack Rosy, apart from the usual suspects that have been letting us down for a while. I couldn't criticise the passion and effort of most of the guys this season.

kb7882

Tiger Champion
Jul 10, 2003
Lilydale
Bowden on Tarrant ? Did he actually say that ? Did he actually even think it ? Jeez, it's worse than I thought.

P

PuntRoadRoar

Dean3,

are you serious??? a good crack?? you have got to be kidding.... your kidding arent you?

WestCoast game....played 1 qrt went home early to get an early flight.

Sydney was a very crap effort lacked the passion for the pill, weak effort

Kangaroos, this game summed up our season kick 3 of the first 4 goals and couldnt go on with it. They wanted it more

Carlton - was a shocking loss to be 3 goals up on top in the 3rd quarter then have 9 goals kicked to our 4 goals by what everyone knows a dud team, theres no having a good crack in it there.

Brisbane lions - had a "good crack" in the first 15 mins afterwards i didnt see anyone having a good crack.

Adelaide - if you call kicking 6 goals in a match having a good crack then we must have been watching a different game

Geelong - first half what a joke, you cant call our last quarter having a crack, playing for 1 quarter isnt having a crack IMO

Dean3

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
PRR. Did you even read my post? ::)

I think it's just plain silly to suggest that AFL players don't try. There's a difference between playing badly and not trying. Try to work it out if you can.

Future Tiger Champ

Tiger Cub
Jul 17, 2003
There has been something troubling my mind for quite some time, what happened to the side that came from 50 points down against Hawthorn, and beat Essendon by a comfortable amount??

The team has the ability just not the passion, Rex Hunt on 3AW last week absolutely gave it to our boys because there was no passion that was around during his time. If the team become determined, then the wins will come, You cant beat determination!

Dean3

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Suggesting they're not 'having a crack', not trying, what's the diff?

I think the grinding game plan is a response to not having the personnel on the field to take teams on in a shoot out, rather than self preservation. I don't think we've had anything like the team and consistent structure that we need for most of this season and most of last season.

From what I can see, most of our troubles in the past two very disappointing seasons have boiled down to overestimating the talent on our list after the 2001 finals series, and people's opinion of Frawley can be traced back to that trading/draft period.

P

PuntRoadRoar

dean3

i cant believe your satisfied by their performance in the past 7 weeks and yes i read your post

having a crack, fair go whatever you like to call it, there are levels players will try believe it or not and from what i have seen in the past 2 months they havent given it their ALL

no way have they, i havent seen any off them walk off after a game absolutely stuffed and buggered. they just walk off with their heads down thats all i seen.

mightytiges

Dec 16, 2002
Dean3 said:
Suggesting they're not 'having a crack', not trying, what's the diff?

I think the grinding game plan is a response to not having the personnel on the field to take teams on in a shoot out, rather than self preservation. I don't think we've had anything like the team and consistent structure that we need for most of this season and most of last season.

From what I can see, most of our troubles in the past two very disappointing seasons have boiled down to overestimating the talent on our list after the 2001 finals series, and people's opinion of Frawley can be traced back to that trading/draft period.

Agree in part Deano and would agree fully if against the lesser likes (Carlton, Geelong, etc..) we did open the game up. Our list especially when it comes to depth is poor but it is still better than the likes of Carlton. Plus IMO it's not just player personnel but also tactics where we suffer. We are just too predictable.

Agree about us overestimating the talent on our list after 2001.

P

PuntRoadRoar

now your playing on words dean3

their "having a crack" has been poor and half hearted and not good enough.

mightytiges

Dec 16, 2002
Captain Blood said:
mightytiges said:
Agree in part Deano and would agree fully if against the lesser likes (Carlton, Geelong, etc..) we did open the game up.

There is no self belief at all playing like that against bottom sides and that is a blight on the coach not backing his team.

Not sure why you quoted me CB. I was saying we should have had self belief in ourselves and our superior ability. We should have played an open and agressive style of play against these bottom sides. We shouldn't have grinded away in these matches. It only serves to keep the scores close which enables the bottom side you're up against to build up confidence as the game progresses and get a sniff.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Dean3 said:
Where did I say I was satisfied with their 'performance'? ???

I couldn't see it either Dean. Have you looked in that closet where you hide everything else you don't want anyone to see. ;D

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
Dean3 said:
Leaving out the Sydney game and the first half on Saturday, I think the boys have given each game a good crack Rosy, apart from the usual suspects that have been letting us down for a while. I couldn't criticise the passion and effort of most of the guys this season.
dean if their having a real crack we need to get rid of the lot of them. its like ive been saying for ages most of them arent up to it

Dean3

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
An example of what I mean, although the game against Geelong isn't a great example, but it's the most recent and therefore fresh in the memory. Apart from the agreed insipid effort in the first half, that game boiled down to about 4 schoolyard mistakes:

1. Chaffey failing to punch from behind in 2nd quarter: Graham goal.

2. Ottens handball to S Johnson: Kingsley goal

3. Kellaway punch to Milburn: goal

4. Fiora crashing Newman: Ablett goal.

On each of these occasions I couldn't criticise the effort (ie they weren't holding back or looking as though they weren't interested), but the execution was schoolboy stuff, things that they would have learnt in grade 3 at PE.

Apart from the exceptions that I noted (but were conveniently ignored) I was drawing a distinction between making silly mistakes and generally playing dumb football, and the effort. Follow?

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
This whole week, with Frawley going public, has been a total embarrassment to our club.
The guy is a total simpleton! But then again alot of our supporters could relate to him!!!
I long for the day when we can have an intelligent, knowledgable, inspiring and articulate coach.
Sadly, this wont be till 2005.
No matter what they do with recruiting, we will never win a flag with this dimwhit!!!