TIGERS NEXT COACH | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TIGERS NEXT COACH

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
This site has been littered with calls for Danny Frawley to resign.

Indeed it is doubtsful if he did not have a year to run on his contract if he would be the coach for next season.

If Danny was to resign after Sundays match, who would we like to see as coach at the Richmond Football Club?

I personally am hoping that Kevin Sheedy one day returns home to Punt Road - his record speaks for itself. He is however contracted to Essendon until the end of 2004.

If we couldn't coax Sheeds into returning to Punt Road, you would have to consider his understudy for the past 5 years - Mark Harvey - Played the game similar to what Sheeds did as well and has had a good apprenticeship.

Terry Wallace would also be an option. I believe that he did a very good job with limited resources while at the Bulldogs and his team was always a very committed unit who rarely underachieved.

I would be interested to see who would be the preferred coach at Richmond from others on this site.

I wouldnt mind Garry Lyon.

Lyon has a great footy brain and knows whats going on. Just listen to his commentary.

It's rumored that some coaches actually listen into Garrys live commentary and try out some of Garrys ideas.

Garry Lyon is oneday going to be a super coach. If its with Richmond is anything thing. I really reckon he is awaiting his chance at Melbourne.

However, he'd be the person I reckon we'd need.

I can't see Sheedy coming to Richmond once he's finished at Essendon. 25 years of coaching is a long time. Sheedy remains loyal to Essendon and has Essendon at heart.

Wallace, he'll remain in the media.

If Danny was honest with himself and resigned (if only :-\ ), I'm not so sure we should hire a rookie coach again. We need someone with experience to clean out, rebuild and develop the side. Outside the likes of Malthouse, Sheedy, Pagan and Matthews, the next best candicate I guess would be Wallace. Definitely not Eade. I would love to poach Pagan from Carlton though.

I'd ball my eyes out if Gary Lyon coached Richmond. :'( He's an opinionateted dill with appalling football knowledge for someone who has played the game for so long. :eek: I wouldn't want him to be our boot studder. He's crap!

I hasve heard Sheedy say that when he's finished at Essendon, he would like the circle to be complete by returing to Richmond in some capacity, though not as coach. He intimated he would love to help with recruiting, player development & welfare. As well, his mum is a tiger, and apparently is still struggling to come to grips with him at Essendon.

nwonash said:
I wouldnt mind Garry Lyon.

ed.

Sheedy remains loyal to Essendon and has Essendon at heart.

Nothing could be further from the truth nwonash. Did you see the Footy Show last night and the tie Sheedy was wearing?

It was a Tommy Hafey Club tie!

He'll be back, probably not as coach, but definately in some capacity. May even happen as early as 2005.

Sheedy in charge of the match committee, Wallace as Coach (although Malthouse or Pagan would be better). Imagine Sheedy together with either of those 2! Martians/seagulls/marshmallows....Eddie wouldn't get a look in at Collingwood...........

Malthouse is indeed hte most impressive coach I have ever seen. The way he communicates is second to none, he doesnt beat around the bush and I am in no doubt he is the prime reason Collingwood have made a resurgence.

Quote from Spud's article on the RFC website

"Our players have had a tremendous education this week of what the Richmond Football Club is all about"

Sounds like the coaching staff and management didn't learn anything. Oh gee what a surprise.

g0tigers said:
I would love to see either Sheedy or Wallace coaching the tiges. If neither of them, then id get Mark Harvey down to the club.

I think you have the options outlined perfectoy g0tigers!

If either Wallance or Sheeds can't be brought to the fold, the Harvey. Have heard him talk and he sounds astute, solid and determined.

He certainly wouldn't accept loosing like Frawley does.

Nor would the other two. I remember watching the video of the Bulldogs that was made at the time they almost folded.

Terry Wallace DEFINITELY did not accept "honourable losses"!

The difference in attitude to losses b/t these guys and Frawley is like lightyears apart!

I like the idea of Wallace. Also go back to the idea of a chairman of selectors that isn't at the club 24/7 living in the coaches and players pockets. That way they judge on performance alone and not whether he's a good bloke, or works hard or has been carrying an injury etc. Just watches the game with the match commitee and maybe the weeks final training session and sits in on selection and maybe more importantly at the end of the season when we are deciding who to tade and delist.

Like most here I want a new coach for our team. I've been a Frawley defender always thinking he would get the message that trying the same things over and over again thinking the result will change is insane, but it appears he just doesnt get it. So now, having watched yet another season get frittered away and see Frawley totally lost for ideas until too late he's lost my vote.

However, like just about everyone else here, I'm reluctant to sack him. The club has to get off that treadmill also. So ultimately I'd love to see Frawley and the Tiges come to an agreement where he resigns and takes a chunk of cash but free's us to move forward.

So who would I choose. I think Wallace is the obvious choice, one he's available, two he sets a high standard, three he maintains a good balance between work and skill, four he's got a history of achieving results with limited resources.

Other options are Malthouse and Sheedy, in that order however Malthouse isnt going anywhere and I'm not certain if Sheeds has the fire in the belly required to start all over again.

let's face it with all the smoke and mirror tricks we get from our club regarding danny we are stuck with frawley for at least another 5 losing years..get comfy guys and gals....its gunna get bumpy

Dean3 said:
Enlighten me frickenel. What does Frawley say to the players immediately after a loss?

"Yea Naa" would be my guess!

My post was referring to our game strategy more than the comments he makes.

No team should ever concede a game at half time when only 27 points down. And this week of all weeks, Richmond supporters should understand why!

"Guess" being the operative word. My point is made: none of us have the first clue what Frawley says to the players when we win, lose or draw, so how can we criticise it?
I've long ago learnt that any coach's public utterings have very little to do with what is said behind closed doors.

Dean3 said:
"Guess" being the operative word. My point is made: none of us have the first clue what Frawley says to the players when we win, lose or draw, so how can we criticise it?
I've long ago learnt that any coach's public utterings have very little to do with what is said behind closed doors.

Dean, i could not give a rats fat ring what that drip says, after all our game plan is ther for all to see - IF YOU CAN DECIPHER IT!!

It's obvious that our only concern is to stop the opposition from giving us a caning, even at the cost of actually trying to win!

His words to the press are ALWAYS "If we can stop their running game......"

I say STUFF THEIR F%&#ING RUNNING GAME!!

Run ourselves, get it to the talls quickly so they mark, and if they don't our clever crumbers have an impact

- THEN see who is worried about whose running game!

I don't think Danny Frawley's defensive chicken SH!T strategies are what our club is about and i pity anybody that does.

If he wants to coach like that, let him do it at a club that has supporters that are happy to see a dignified loss - a team like the one he came from for example!