Tigers pay tribute to Jewell | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers pay tribute to Jewell

TigersEatemAlive

Eat'em alive!!!
Sep 25, 2003
Tigerland
Tigers pay tribute to Jewell
8:30:57 AM Wed 28 January, 2004
afl.com.au

Richmond chief executive Ian Campbell has paid tribute to club stalwart Tony Jewell who has been displaced from the Tigers’ board.

Jewell, a premiership player for the club in 1967 and premiership coach in 1980, was one of three incumbent board members standing for re-election, but lost his place to lawyer and investor John Matthies.

Gary March and 1980 premiership player Peter Welsh were returned to the board. In all, there were six candidates for the three vacancies.

“Tony obviously has been a phenomenal servant of the club over an extended period of time and, I daresay, a greater part of his life,” Campbell told Sport927.

Campbell, who seemed peeved that the results had been made public ahead of Thursday night's Annual General Meeting at the Grand Hyatt, confirmed that ‘around 5000’ Richmond members voted, but said the club had expected many more.

It’s understood that some members may not have received their forms through the mail in time to lodge their vote by last Friday.

“The auditors probably felt we may have got seven to eight thousand. There were others who did not receive their mail-out on time,” Campbell said.

“All the voting deals were sent together. All the forms were sent to the mail house and Price Waterhouse conducted the election.

“All the forms were sent at the same time. So whether something’s fallen through the cracks, whether it was Australia Post, who knows?

“We have no idea why some people received them early and some people received them late.

“I think… the members really took this election seriously. They read the information at hand and they made their decision.”

Campbell said that he believed John Matthies had much to offer the club.

“Given his experience in the business world and legal world, he’s going to be a great addition to the board as we try and revolutionise the Richmond Football Club and bring it back to past glories.”

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Things like this have ways of getting out into the public... like on PRE for example ;D 8) ;)

DC8

Eat 'em alive
Nov 21, 2003
Captain Blood said:
Tiger2004member said:
Campbell, who seemed peeved that the results had been made public ahead of Thursday night's Annual General Meeting at the Grand Hyatt,

Have a talk to Casey for giving the details out early.
Leaked memo ring a bell?

Agree wholeheartedly Capt Blood - seems that at roughly the same time Campbell was being peeved on 927, Casey was spilling beans all over the show on SEN. Nothing like a bit of co-ordination and communication eh guys?

But far more importantly (IMHO) was this extraordinary statement by Campbell:

“The auditors probably felt we may have got seven to eight thousand. There were others who did not receive their mail-out on time,” Campbell said.

If Campbell is saying (which I think he is) that some eligible members were denied the right to vote due to some logistical stuff up (irrespective of whose fault it was), then it would only take one complaint from an unsuccessful candidate or a disenfranchised member and the whole election would have to be declared void and held again.

If there is vote proposed at tomorrow night's AGM to confirm the election outcome, I'd be thinking that the Club knew some time ago that not all eleigible members would be afforded an opportunity to vote and they are desperately trying to cover their tracks by blaming PWC and having the AGM endorse their stuff up.

I think we need some answers tomorrow night and any PREs attending the AGM should be fully prepared to raise the same questions at the meeting that we often pose here. I certainly intend to.