Tigers reveal plan to rebuild (realfooty) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers reveal plan to rebuild (realfooty)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigers reveal plan to rebuild
By Robert Grant
September 13 2003

Richmond football director Greg Miller says the Tigers will seek a big-name recruit this year as part of a three-stage rebuilding plan.

Miller also wants "a goalkicking forward, some inside midfielders, and a couple of good old-fashioned, hard-nosed defenders".

Writing in the club newsletter, Miller described a long-term three-point recruiting scheme, highlighted by enticing a "name" player to Punt Road.

"Our plan is to methodically build our playing list over the next three years," he said. "Yes, we will have a number of changes to the list at the end of this year, but due to a variety of reasons, it probably won't be as many as some members might expect."

Miller said Richmond would look to create space in its total player payments to enable the pursuit of a high-profile player. "To get such a player, we'll either have to give up someone on our list, or a first and/or second-round draft choice . . . Unless we had depth in that particular area, it's highly unlikely we'd do a swap deal."

Due to salary-cap constraints, the Tigers had only 36 senior players - two short of the maximum - on their list this season, plus three rookies.

Youngsters are next on Richmond's schedule, as well as recycled players who had not cut it at their original clubs.

"Our second aim will be to recruit the best young talent we can with the draft choices available to us, by working harder than any other club," Miller said.

"The third part of our recruiting plan is somewhat of a contentious one. It revolves around the recycling of players at the bottom end of the draft.

"I'm fully aware of the opinion shared by quite a few of our supporters that the team is not going to get any better with recycled players.

"If you work hard enough - and you know . . . why a player hasn't achieved at a certain club - there are some real opportunities out there among the recycled crop."

He listed Peter Bell, John Blakey and Dean Laidley among the players who had joined the Kangaroos from other clubs during his tenure at Arden Street and gone on to make their mark.

Richmond yesterday also announced the biggest sponsorship in the club's history - a $1.5 million deal with Motorola for one year, initially, extending the company's involvement to co-naming rights sponsor with the Transport Accident Commission.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Due to salary-cap constraints, the Tigers had only 36 senior players - two short of the maximum - on their list this season, plus three rookies.

I posted previously that the reason we didn't elevate Matt Shir from the rookie list could possibly have been a financial decision and was told that wasn't the case.

Now the club have admitted they had salary cap constraints it will be interesting to see if Matt is on the list next season.

Has anyone followed his form closely this year? Any opinions on whether he showed enough to go on the list.

Also any opinions on the other 2 rookies?

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Rosy, I am a little puzzled. I have read both the Age and Herald-Sun versions of Miller's article in the newsletter and both mention Miller saying he wanted "a goal-kicking forward, some inside midfielders, and a couple of good old-fahioned hard-nosed defenders", but I can't find that statement in the newsletter report.

I have The Fighting Tiger in front of me at the moment and I actually think it's quite a reasonable article by Miller, particularly his comment that "...we're three players short on our list as it is now, and we're obliged under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement to fill those places over the next two years... 6-7 choices are a distinct possibility. [ in regards to the number of changes to the list]"

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
A bit of journalistic license there methinks Roar.

They don't exactly quote Greg Miller as saying what we want in the Fighting Tiger.

I think they've taken comments from the RFC site.

Greg Miller said-
"I think we've improved in that area . . . no doubt some guys have steeled themselves and become better, while others need to get better.

"We need some more inside midfielders -- players who can share the load with the likes of Kane Johnson and Mark Coughlan. You can't expect those guys to run 120 minutes and there's a lot of pressure on those two week after week. So we need to bolster our depth in that area.

"There's no doubt that we need another goalkicking forward, too -- someone that leads up the ground. Ty Zantuck showed against Port Adelaide (a five-goal display in Round 21) just what can be achieved in that regard, so we need someone who gets out of the blocks quickly.

"I'd also love to have a couple of players like a Dean Laidley and a Ross Smith-type from back in the old era at the Kangaroos. They were tough half-backs, who were pretty important to the overall team structure."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=119235

Another article-

Frawley said the club’s priorities were to bolster its midfield with speed and hardness, find another prominent forward and potentially look at recruiting a young ruckman.
http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=119473

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
I found the source, Rosy, it was a topic posted by Tigerjoe, quoting an article written by Tony Greenburg wherein he reports Miller as saying those things. Guess the journos stitched it all together. Did you see the article about Broderick in The Fighting Tiger? Pity we've lost him for the time being.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
dont like talk of giving up a 1st or 2nd rnd pick for an established player sounds like millers prepared to make the same mistakes weve been making for the last 20 odd years :mad:

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
from all the reports ive hsd rosy matt shir can play the only way to really find out is to promote him and play him. but with frawley in charge i dont think thats going to happen. :(

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
The financial restraints with our list in 2003 was in part were due to the fact the Footy Dept was directed by the board that the could only pay 97% of this years cap (next season the amount is 98%)

RE MATT SHIR:

I think I have mad my views very clear regarding Matt and I will stand by what I have publically said on this forum and to other friends.

If Matt is on our senior list in 2004 I will sponsor him (through Player Link) simply because I think he worth a shot and actually can play. His skills are better than some of the players we have had on our list this season.

Put in the simplest possible fashion - Matt Shir is (IMO) a better player than Pettifer, Biddescombe, King, Mills, Hilton, Hyde, Houlihan and potentially a better player than Fiora, Dragga, Fleming, and Bowden.

Let's see what can do? He can kick (disposal is good), handball (struth he can hit a target) and he can tackle and he runs the lines, hard in at the contest (and god don't we need a few more like that). Seeing the Club has already said they are looking to a couple or players in the 21-23 bracket who are ready for AFL footy - I think he is worth a shot because he fits that criteria and and he has played senior footy already with Adelaide. Oh and it helps that he is from up Wangaratta way ;)

As for the other 2 Moore and Pickering.

Moore should also be promoted because he is 18 and shows alot. Great skills - certainly needs to bulk up. But if that can be achieved he his a possible key postion player (190cms). Also, we need to get young players and if the draft is as thin as what they keep saying then again he worth a try.

Pickering - in a a couple of words - NO THANKS. the times I watched Coburg he was slow, his kicking to position was ordinary. Adios I say ;D

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
We finally finished paying for Daffy and Bourke this year, so that should allow us to have a full list.

I'd rather have a full list with some young players than to go in short again because we picked up a big name player.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
tigerman said:
We finally finished paying for Daffy and Bourke this year, so that should allow us to have a full list.

I'd rather have a full list with some young players than to go in short again because we picked up a big name player.

I agree Tigerman, lists are too short as it is without cutting them shorter through list mis-management!

However, where do we get them from?

Already we are talking up the possibility of trading both our 1st and 2nd round picks for a senior player. This can only mean there will be limited de-listings as we won't have enough usefull picks to top up the list.

Another thing that bothers me about our trade tendancies is that not only do we trade picks for hacks, but we also put "coughed up players" on our rookie list. We have dome this the past couple of seasons.

Most other teams use their full quota of rookies (unlike us) and take a punt with a few young guys.

Not us - it's the band-aid approach all the way.

Y

YiriSS

koalalil

if matty shir is to be placed on the senior list he has to get his body right, injuries wrecked his season,and he wasnt able to really show what he is capable of of.

i have seen him close up,and i agree with you, he is capable of making the grade, only thing holding him back is his body ,

kelvin moore copped ostietus pubis (im sure i spelt it wrong), he just needs to fill out a bit , and get a little
confidence, the boy can play

pickers aswell got hurt by injuries,

i dont know if anyone has picked up on it yet, but dont you think all these soft tissue injuries are hurting us big time?
the powers that be (fitness staff) are the same 2 that malthouse sacked once he got the job at colliwobbles.
they were obviously no good there, look at the injuries they had then,funny how the same club has bugger all injuries the last 3 years, yet we ALWAYS have more.

it really worries me that the players say "we have the best fitness staff in the league"

along with a third of the list that should go, i say sack them as well
sorry to go on and on but it really pi**ed me off every time each team we played would slam on 2 or more goals at the end of each quarter (red time)
its gotta be a fitness thing

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I am concerned with our loss of manpower through soft tissue injuries.

I think to a large degree that has to be due to our fitness program.

I also wonder whether our negative, stuffing around style of play contributes to this as well. We over use the ball rather than go long and direct which could equate to over use and strain on the body too.

I am also concerned at Campbell being given the all clear to play in the West when the club later admitted he was injured.

It's interesting how Collingwood have been injury free since Spud brought Noel Duncan and co over to Tigerland. I haven't seen stats but I suspect our injuries have increased in that time.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
YiriSS,

The soft tissue injuries are a concern. I have been told that when a player has a knee reconstruction the graft for the ligament is taken from the hamstring area. There is a tendency that if a player has had 2 "recos" that their hamstrings maybe a bit suspect. I think Duncan Kellaway falls into this category. Agree though it doesn't explain all the others.

Have has anyone really come up with an answer regarding Oestitis Pubis? It seems everyone had a theory 12 months ago - the blamed conditioning, hard surfaces (Telstra Dome), too heavier a workload for young players.

On Matt Shir - one of his injuries this season was pure bad luck - the partial trearing of the muscle from the thigh bone. He had OP also, but they put that down to him training too hard when he arrived back from Adeliade.

Kel Moore seems to have suffered the same fate of a lot the younger/taller players in the competition with having mid OP as well. Maybe in his case it has something with him still growing.

On Adam Pickering - I know he had injury problems as well but when he finally got back I don't think he showed enough