Tigers season slipping away | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers season slipping away

P

PuntRoadRoar

Tigers' season slipping away
16 June 2003 Herald Sun
By GEOFF POULTER

RICHMOND has become renowned for teasing its supporters. It builds them up, lets them down.

Happened last year, in other years. It's happening again.

The Tigers were flying after Round 8 with a 6-2 scoreline and third place on the ladder.

But all that has been squandered with patchy performances in the past four weeks.

The Tigers are out of the eight and their finals prospects are rapidly diminishing.

Richmond was expected to handle Carlton's challenge at the MCG on Saturday.

The Blues had been struggling and, despite spirited first- half resistance, Richmond appeared to have their measure halfway through the third quarter.

The Tigers were in charge and led by 16 points with the wind to come home with. That's when things started to go awry.

They were without Wayne Campbell and Kane Johnson, keys to the midfield, where they struggled to control the likes of Anthony Koutoufides, but they should never have lost control from that point.

And even if they had underestimated Carlton's spirit and fighting qualities -- which drove a fightback that reclaimed the lead -- the Tigers had no excuses from the 24-minute mark of the last quarter, when David Rodan pushed them four points clear. But lose it they did.

How? Perhaps the Blues simply wanted it more.

Matthew Richardson has been a matchwinner, but the Tigers didn't seem to use him to full effect. Perhaps the wind made it tougher to kick the ball, but Richo didn't get too many lace-out passes.

As for the Blues, there were plenty of positive signs.

Kouta was an influence; Justin Murphy was able to slip away in attack; Matthew Allan showed plenty around the ground; teenager Brad Fisher impressed with his marking.

They might have an ageing list but there was no lack of spirit.

doesnt take einstein to work that out geoff poulter, but i think his last sentence summed it up really:

"They might have an ageing list but there was no lack of spirit."

oooooooohhhhhhh the humanity !!!!! i knew when i was 7 (1982) i shouldnt have walked under that ladder at school 27 times........................ i just thought i was so clever.

Not slipping away, the season is gone

No point trying to scramble our way into 8th, we need to finish 13th or 14th and get a decent draft pick, and USE IT

pettifer8 said:
no point getting into the eight when wats in going to prove, nothing except that we should have finished 9th or lower when we'll get no further then the first round of the finals
How does making the 8 prove we should have finished 9th or lower?
What a ridiculous attitude. Who knows what can happen once you're there with a full list firing on all cylinders.
Presuming this is the coaching panel and the main body of the list we'll have next season finals experience would be invaluable, and a lot preferable to finishing 9th imo.

The trouble is if we finish 8th, the club could easily fall into the belief we are not far away, which we all know is not the case.

In 2001 we made the prelim, but were a long long way off the grand final teams, and finishing 3rd really flattered us. This resulted in the short term recruiting which has us in the position we are in now, with few young kids, a short list full of matured aged rejects from other clubs, and players who should have been traded or delisted by now.

I reckon we should give these next two games a real crack, and then assess the season then. If, as is likely, we sit 6-8, then we should be playing Schulz, Hyde, McGrath, Nicholls and anybody else at Coburg for the last 8 games, regardless of performance. Just tell them they're in for 8 games, relax and show us what you've got, lap up the experience.
Give Newman, Pettifer et al a regular on-ball/forward role, throw the team around a bit, take off the ugly defensive shackles and let 'em just play footy, run and create and see what happens.
I know people will say that guys must earn a spot and all that baloney, but they need some time and freedom to express themselves on the field, and they're sure not getting it at the moment. Let 'em play a few games without an axe hanging over their neck — you never know we just might find another Coughlan in there somewhere.

rosy3 said:
How does making the 8 prove we should have finished 9th or lower?
What a ridiculous attitude. Who knows what can happen once you're there with a full list firing on all cylinders.
Presuming this is the coaching panel and the main body of the list we'll have next season finals experience would be invaluable, and a lot preferable to finishing 9th imo.

Its not a ridiculous attitude its an attitude that has learnt to face facts the team we are now is not going to be a competitve side if it makes it to the top 8.

its better to not finish in the finals and let the changes take place that everyone wants to happen its no point living in fairyland, (even i've moved out from there) things have gotta change at tiger land and its not gonna happen if we make the finals

Makign the eight gives us hope, is an achievement in itself and should be recognised as such. We still ahve a lot fo younger players and can only do them good rather than getting everyone at Richmond and out of Richmond thinking same old same old. No way id settle for ninth nor should I. I woant us to get as far as we can.

pettifer8 said:
its no point living in fairyland, (even i've moved out from there)

That might be the difference pettifer/tiga chikk. You've said you were a Saints fan until recently. I don't understand how people can just swap teams. I couldn't give up Richmond (much as I'd like to sometimes ;D ) and support another team if my life depended on it.

Maybe you don't understand the ingrained culture of Tigerism and how vital finals appearances are for the long term success of the club.

How do you know what would happen if we made it.

Look at Collingwood last year. If that team could go within a couple of points of the premiership there's no reason we can't too if the cards fall our way.
Maybe we might have an inglorious exit, but then again maybe we just mightn't either.

Agree Dean

If they can pull off the impossible and win one of the next two games, then finals would still be possible.

But if we slip to 6-8, which is more than likely the way we've been playing, then last 8 weeks should be a chance for guys like Mills, Nicholls, Hyde, McGrath etc to be given their oppurtunity to show what they can offer the Richmond footy club

THis will give us a good chance to see what the kids have got, where we still need to improve and who really wants to be a part of Richmond's future

rosy3 said:
Maybe you don't understand the ingrained culture of Tigerism and how vital finals appearances are for the long term success of the club.

How do you know what would happen if we made it.

Maybe you dont understand that im allowed to voice my opinion, just like everyone else on this board. What makes me so different that you have to single me out?

Is it because i have different views to you?

Whats my past got to with anything, you know nothing about it or why i changed my teams or when i did?

Rosy i don't know what ive ever done to you, except voice my opinion, but if you wish to tell me then your more then welcome.

You said yourself i could either get you to re instate me or register as a new user and i have done the latter.

yeah...
Im with Rosy on this what a defeatest attitude oh and don't be affraid to use a bit of punctuation it makes it easier to understand ;D

The basic equation is win 6 of the remaining 10 and we are in the finals.

In my current frame of mind I feel we have no chance at all, but I will take a deep breath and reasses after Bris/Adel road trips.

If there is any fight in some of these players who are clearly looking at there football mortality, then we should give the final 8 a shake, but if they carry on like they have then all over without a wimper.

How many pivotal moments does the club need in recent times to stop and say "*smile*, we are going nowhere fast and it is time we tried to fix this crap.."

Well, here is another chance for the club to do something about it.

I keep coming back to this: If we had Cambo, Gas, Johno all fit in the past 4 weeks we would (IMO) be at 8-4. This with Otto back and due to hit form in 2-3 weeks, plus Holland back.
Injuries are impossible to cover, especially in the midfield, and even moreso senior players (see Brisbane yesterday).
The suggestion that at 6-6, halfway through the season we turf the year and play for draft picks is the most rediculous comment on this forum this year, and that is truly saying something.

Gee finishing 9th or 10th instead of 8th is going to make a big difference come draft time. Considering the dogs, cats and dees are in line for priority draft picks, we'll end up with pick10 instead of pick11. Wow...woppee do da ::).
Making the finals is what the H/A season is all about. It would provide invaluable experience for young guns and would provide a huge boost to the club. If we get smashed in the finals then well and good. It'll show where we are at and where we need to get to. You would reckon after finishing 9th 4 times in the last 9 years that would be that last place our own supporters would want us to end up.
The next two matches will decide our fate. With Cambo, Johnson and Cogs all the middle together for the first time in about 7 weeks, all we need is to win one game to get the confidence back and the side up and running. The sides around us on the ladder are playing just as poorly as we are so I'm not giving up.

I'll put all your minds at ease so you don't have to argue - WE WON"T GET ANYWHERE NEAR THE 8

mightytiges said:
You would reckon after finishing 9th 4 times in the last 9 years that would be that last place our own supporters would want us to end up.

That's the tragic thing about this MT. Our own supporters do want us to finish there, just so we don't continue finishing there.

We can see what needs to happen, but our footy Club seemingly keeps going around and around in circles trying to get success. We take short cuts, make short sighted decisions and think we're doing the best for the Club.

Forgive me for thinking that some past decisions have only been in the interests of those who make them. Everybody else can see that they are not for the long-term benefit of the Club. And everybody else can clearly see where the Club is at. For some reason, the people in it keep deluding themselves and plunging themselves and our Club further into the mire.

We've got ourselves into the hole we're in now because of the decisions made in the past. No point blaming the players for all of that. They're not the one's making the decisions. Just following instructions as best they can, with the amount of guidance and support they receive.

This is make or break time for people, imo. If we can get out of this one then there is still hope, but should things look just as bleak by season's end, decisions will have to be made and the right people should make them at the right time. Not before, not after.

There will be those who believe that now is the time. I don't believe so.

The season might be slipping away, or maybe it's just beginning, because crisis is where we get to see the real mettle of people.

Stand back everyone and just watch what happens. Then we can have a better opinion of people and make decisions based on who is real and who should step aside.

We hate it when we lose the way we did on the weekend and we're going to have an opinion about it. Nothing wrong with that. But let's just watch and see what happens through to season's end.

It's not going to make the rest of the season any easier, I know. I guess I came to terms with reality some time ago. While I'm disappointed about the weekend, I'm not altogether surprised. Like others, every season I cling on to hope and so there are times, such as now, when I need something else to focus on.

Hopefully the young brigade can continue to give us all something to cheer about and something to look forward to.

MC24 said:
mightytiges said:
You would reckon after finishing 9th 4 times in the last 9 years that would be that last place our own supporters would want us to end up.

That's the tragic thing about this MT. Our own supporters do want us to finish there, just so we don't continue finishing there.

I agree with alot of what you just said MC but we will stay exactly where we have been if we DO finish 9th. It's the worst place to finish come draft time. You finish too high for the best draft picks and you are out of the finals as well so you don't attract interest from bottom clubs so you can trade for those best picks as they don't rate your side. It's a double whammy.