Tigers season slipping away | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers season slipping away

mightytiges said:
I agree with alot of what you just said MC but we will stay exactly where we have been if we DO finish 9th. It's the worst place to finish come draft time. You finish too high for the best draft picks and you are out of the finals as well so you don't attract interest from bottom clubs so you can trade for those best picks as they don't rate your side. It's a double whammy.

I'm not suggesting it's ideal MT, just clarifying the possible reasons why supporters would want us to finish outside the 8.

hasn't anybody been watching any other games lately...

The likes of Brisbane and Adelaide are not infallable, there should be no reason with the extra break, Johnson, Cambo and Otto back in and with some form.

I think that the Adelaide trip is a REAL opportunity, Brisbane is tougher but still - you never know

I dont understnad how people can just give up hope, we still have a fair way to go, and winning 6 more games is very probable.

Im positive about the next to games.

The last thing i want to see is richmond finishing 9th again! maybe if we DO make it to the 8 the boys might show some spark?? ::)

julzqld said:
Has the fat lady sung yet?

Just depends on what you expected or hoped for before the season began, as to whether the fat lady has sung Julz.

Some expected to just see some real overall improvement in the team. On that score, it's looking like most other seasons really.

If you expected a top four finish, that's looking very unlikely at this stage.

But if you expected to just play finals football, even if it's from eighth spot on the ladder, then that's still a possibility.

We've lost hope in what we wanted or expected to see, but we still have hope that we can make the eight, just not in the way we would have hoped or liked.

That's where the disappointment is for us.

I expected an improvement in our style of play and that definately hasn't happened. So in that respect the season is over for me and I'm waiting for a new season with a new coach to instill a game style that resembles todays modern footy which we can build and develop the team with the inclusion of some new young players.

As the saying goes - "you can't get blood from a stone"

Some of the negative posters make a very good point however about our game style/plan .... It IS very defensive and uninteresting to watch.... I recall even in 2001 Danny would admit "yeah look we won ugly today but got the 4 points.... I don't mind winning ugly if ya get the 4 points".
And now this year we are "grinding games out". So personnel or not, we have had an ugly, uninteresting, defensive style of play for awhile now.
Well 'winning ugly' and 'grinding games out' MAY get you into the finals on the odd occassion it will never win you a premiership. This problem must be looked at!
Also his part in list management including recruitment in the past few years has played a huge role in not having any players who were able to be given a go when the injuries did hit. As we all know they do in footy.....

When was the last time we really pumped a side? Probably Fitzroy??
When we are in front and have a decent margin we always let them back into it... then the margin flatters the opposition.... or we wait until we are 4,5 ,6 7 goals down and then decide "better try now boys otherwise it might be too late to come back".
Until we can play a more attacking style of football and all 22 players put in as hard as Cogs and do the hard running like they did earlier in the year....we will never pump sides or demoralise them (like has happened to us many times over the year) we will just "grind the game out" and be happy with the four points.
If we are to ever become a top 4 side the above needs to change and quickly!!

Dog - you are a breath of fresh air. This is exactly why we won't make it under spud the dud. It's good that we have Miller on board but he is not a coach and won't change our game style. Hopefully he can assert his authority and ship out the potatoe farmer.

Tigerdog said:
Some of the negative posters make a very good point however about our game style/plan ....

Until we can play a more attacking style of football and all 22 players put in as hard as Cogs and do the hard running like they did earlier in the year

I love how you call yourselves negitive posters......lol

Your right i think if every player on our team went in as hard as coggers every game we would have an awesome (!!) team!

Peopl people people - Its not all about hardness and determination. You need a system in your play and you need skillful players to execute this.