Tigers strike major deal | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers strike major deal

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Tigers strike major deal
By Lyall Johnson
August 29 2003

Amid the funeral commemorations and special tributes for club legend Jack Dyer, the Richmond Football Club has been bedding down the biggest sponsorship deal in the club's history.

In the next two weeks the Tigers will announce the re-signing of existing partners, the TAC and Motorola - the latter coming on board as a sponsor last year - and also the signing of a number of new corporate sponsors.

President Clinton Casey yesterday denied rumours the existing deal with Motorola would be upgraded to $5 million, but a source within the club hinted the combined value of the new and upgraded deals would not be far off that figure.

"With existing partnerships, we're looking forward to announcing some of the largest sponsorships in the history of the club," Casey said.

"We are going to be upgrading a couple of them, and a couple of existing sponsors are going to join forces and are going to be more than double anything we have had before.

advertisement

advertisement

"The difficulty is, we are losing games, the team's not winning. But apart from that there is some real good stuff happening corporately and it is as strong as it has been for some time."

It has been an emotional week for the club with Dyer passing away last Saturday.

For the match against Port Adelaide the cheer squad quickly put together a banner tribute to Dyer, but for this Sunday's final-round match against Hawthorn the club has organised some special tributes.

All Richmond players have been given permission to wear Dyer's famous No.17 on the sash of their guernseys, just above their heart. A giant Richmond jumper with Dyer's No.17 will be painted on the MCG turf and there will be a minute's silence, followed by the national anthem, before the first bounce.

A video tribute to Dyer will feature on the big screen and fellow Richmond "Immortal" Tom Hafey will talk to the crowd about Captain Blood. Hawthorn Football Club has also indicated its players would wear black armbands as a tribute to Dyer.

I've heard that Motorola will be a major sponsor alongside TAC next year and their logo will also be appearing on our jumper.

That's great news. It seems that Ian Campbell is going to be a fantastic addition to the club. Casey and the board should be congratulated for not rushing into replacing Brayshaw and getting the right person.
Contrary to opinions on other threads, this board has shown a genuine capability and willingness to hire the right people for the right job, and give them their head. That's what a really effective board should do.
I feel confident that if we stick with this current board, ride out the on field problems over the next 1-2years, then we can really look forward to sustained success in both areas over the next 10 years.
All eyes on the trade and draft period now for some clear direction. Fingers crossed.

The Boss said:
I've heard that Motorola will be a major sponsor alongside TAC next year and their logo will also be appearing on our jumper.

I think it may be an alternating deal for the home jumper and the away jumper.

Now I don't want to boast....but..... I have been saying for a couple of months now that there are going to be some big announcements regarding sponsors.

This deal is big - very big - if not the biggest in the AFL close to it.

that is good news but i was hoping for:

Tigers strike major deal: Richmond make deal to release Frawley early from coaching duties.........

just love the clowns in here who keep on bringing up the sack the coach statement on a subject that absolutley has nothing to do with the coach ::)

johnson2richo2003 said:
just love the clowns in here who keep on bringing up the sack the coach statement on a subject that absolutley has nothing to do with the coach ::)

I was thinking the same thing myself J2R ;)

Terrific news and a big congrats to the Club's admin. Agree Dean, Ian Campbell seems to be a fantastic addition to Richmond. Off-field the Club appears to be strong.

Just like to add a special thanks to KL :) .

Walster said:
Whats this away jumper???

Walster, KL was saying that we'll have the TAC logo on our guernsey for home games and the Motorola logo for away games. The actual guernsey won't be changing.

Thank God for that. That would've been the last straw. Although I am worried that the AFL might just pull rank on away jumpers. Heritage jumpers may just have been the first shot fired i.e you have worn diferent jumpers before

mightytiges said:
Walster, KL was saying that we'll have the TAC logo on our guernsey for home games and the Motorola logo for away games. The actual guernsey won't be changing.

Exactly what I meant MT.

I don't know anything for sure but I would expect something similar to the Magpies.

TAC on the front of the jumper and and shorts, Motorola on the back of the jumper for for say away

And TAC on the Back, and Motorola on the front and shorts for say home.

This is great news for the Tigers.

We should be very proud our club for stiching up this deal.

Love the TAC for their loyalty and Motorola for their comittment.

BalmyArmy said:
I agree. This is a Frawley bashing free thread from now on. Can you please keep an eye on it Rosy?

no more frawley bashing??? this site would die if that happened :p

anyway some people can be a bit touchy at times..might need to bring back a oldie but a goodie thread for them to explain it ;)

Thats great news about the new sponsership deal!

Also the celerbrations on sunday sound very well thought out, should be a good day. Lets hope there is a mass turn out ;D
shawry said:
Hawthorn Football Club has also indicated its players would wear black armbands as a tribute to Dyer.

If Hawthorn can do it why the F**K cant Port?? Oh thats right i forgot port only care about port. ::) That club has made my blood boil over the past week :mad: :mad: