Tigers taking care of business: Cameron | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers taking care of business: Cameron

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Samantha Lane
afl.com.au
Tue 22 April, 2003

The critics will point to Richmond’s opponents when Tiger supporters point to their three-match winning streak, but veteran Leon Cameron says no one should underestimate the side’s achievement of “doing what it’s had to do”.

After losing to Collingwood by 28 points in round one, the Tigers have beaten the Western Bulldogs, Fremantle and St Kilda by 22, 48 and 26 points respectively. Coach Danny Frawley has described his team’s effort in the last month as “honest and consistent for three and a half games”.

“People are going to say you played Fremantle at home in the wet, so you give that a game to us,” Cameron elaborated after the team’s round four victory.

“People automatically say that because they obviously don’t travel as well, but you’ve still got to win them.”

“But we’ve done what we’ve had to do. We’ve won three games. Obviously we came up short against Collingwood, but I think we’ve got better from that and we can only do what we can do.”

With up-coming matches against an improved Hawthorn side, an away clash with Port Adelaide, followed by Essendon, Cameron knows there is much to be proved regardless of the club’s good start.

“Hawthorn’s our next step I suppose.”

“It’s good to get some runs on the board early but I mean, you can’t really get a gauge on the season until about round eight or nine.”

“It’s always good to play the top sides. It gives you a good gauge, and you rate Brisbane, Port, Adelaide and Collingwood as the top four, in my opinion. It’s always good to come up against them.”

Of great encouragement however, is the fact that injured key position players Ben Holland, Brad Ottens and Duncan Kellaway have watched their team from the sidelines so far this season.

“We’re just going along pretty nicely at the moment, so hopefully with players back in the next few weeks away we go from there,” Cameron said.