Tim Livingstone | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tim Livingstone

B

Bill James

Drafted from Boxhill in 1992 , played 6 games in 1993 and seems to have given a good account of himself.

Rd   K M H  D
16 12 2 3 15
17 13 4 4 17
18 11 2 2 13
19 19 5 1 20
20 11 3 4 15
21   9 1 2 11

Went back to Boxhill in 1994 and made the VFL representative side in 94,95 and 97.

I can't remember him, anybody recall why he didn't stay around longer?

Originally from North Ringwood where he was a club favourite & hard at it player. I think a combination of injury & similar type players spelt the end of his AFL career

He'd spent time on the Melbourne supplementary list, and was a mature age recruit (25/26 yo), who was a very
good player at the next level down from the Top, and handy at AFL level. He finished up back at North Ringwood in the EDFL.

There are those who'd say he was the atypical Richmond recruit of the 90's, handy, but not quite up to it.

Nah! We got rid of him.
Claw being claw, he would probably say that Livingstone was the next Francis Bourke, and that the RFC (typically), got it wrong by letting him go. ;D

Tim was a result of the usual short sightedness of AFL clubs. Because he came from the VFA he didn't get the chances so many other players get. He was a tough ball getter and I quite liked him. It's the same shortsightedness that almost lost Greg Williams to AFL footy, that meant Josh Mahoney having to go to 4 clubs to get a decent chance. To a much lesser extent it's the same thing that happened to Ben Hollands and Craig Ednie. Even though they got heaps of the ball, if they didn't blitz every game they were dropped. It's something that really pisses me off especially when we saw/see blokes like Fiora/Zantuck/Pettifer getting games week after week when not performing.

zips said:
Originally from North Ringwood where he was a club favourite & hard at it player.  I think a combination of injury & similar type players spelt the end of his AFL career

As did an unfortunate lack of ability and skill.

Livo was stiff, played well in the 1s when given the opportunity and was shafted IMHO.
His age was no doubt a contributing factor with the likes of knights, free, campbell and other youngsters around the place at the time.

Played some cricket with Livo, good fella. He copped some good-natured ribbing about his footy prowess, but had the last laugh in reaching the top level.

His first game was very good on McDermott at Football Park considering we lost by 20+ goals. He probably missed the cut because there was nothing special about his game - average size, average pace, average skills. He didn't do anything wrong and was far from the worst of the 41 players we used in the seniors that year, so his axing raised a few eyebrows. James Thiessen was another who looked OK in 1993; we cleared him to Adelaide where he played 50-odd games.

Thought both Livingstone an Ian Herman were both stiff at the end of 93, getting the chop. Thought others could've made way. Hard to know without all the details. Later went on to captain the VFA against NSW, the curtain raiser for the famous EJ Whitten Vic v SA match in '95. Rhett and Sean Bowden both played in this side too, both with Port Melbourne.

Been a lot of ex-Richmond down at Box Hill, from the famous Bill Morris, Mark Trewella, Stephen James, Livingstone (he went back in '94, played in VFA GF loss to Sandy), Adam Slater, I know there's more, just can't think!