Time for "backstop" Miller to stand up. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Time for "backstop" Miller to stand up.

nick the tiger

I'm a llama!
Aug 21, 2003
Greg Miller has been at the RFC for nearly a year now. His job role seems to be the backstop for all those people/areas that many of us consider have been performing poorly. For example, he's helping out Greg Beck, he's helping the match commitee, he's looking at the list, he's looking at this he's looking at that. He's the voice of the club when there's a fuss etc.
My point is what are the people that are responsible for these areas doing?? If they are not good enough get rid of them!! Don't appoint Santa's little helper. We have a CEO, a president, a coach, a match commitee, a director of football, Greg Hutchinson whatever his title is and a recruiting guy. Can someone tell me whose fault it is for the crap we have on the list and why today we are still paying Bourke and Daffy? Did we really need another chief costing us plenty to add to the confusion?
IF the coach is the problem, Miller has stifled us from being able to make a move this year by insisting on the contract change.
If Miller's role is to sort this mess out and then *smile* off, fine, but he needs to get cracking. If not , who is going to be responsible if the list doesn't improve dramatically?

P

PuntRoadRoar

nick the tiger your being a bit harsh, have to wait for the draft before we see who he recruits first and even then you wont see magical results that your hoping. Only time will tell whether having miller has helped us, but dont go jumping up and down before the ball is even bounced. If there is anyone you should be annoyed with its beck and frawley who have added nothing to our club in their time here.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Firstly welcome to PRE, Nick :)

As PRR said Miller's handywork won't be seen until at least the off-season trade and draft period.
As much as I wish Danny would resign, I have no problem with Miller removing that clause. Classic Richmond over the past 20+ years having that sort of clause in a coach's contract in the first place. A "get out of jail free card" for the admin if and - as we are all too familiar with - when things get tough. More worrying was the fact it showed the Club was not thinking about the long-term interests of the footy side at the time it negoitated the contract. Basically said give us short-term mediocre success (make the finals) or you're gone.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
mightytiges said:
Firstly welcome to PRE, Nick :)

As PRR said Miller's handywork won't be seen until at least the off-season trade and draft period.
As much as I wish Danny would resign, I have no problem with Miller removing that clause. Classic Richmond over the past 20+ years having that sort of clause in a coach's contract in the first place. A "get out of jail free card" for the admin if and - as we are all too familiar with - when things get tough. More worrying was the fact it showed the Club was not thinking about the long-term interests of the footy side at the time it negoitated the contract. Basically said give us short-term mediocre success (make the finals) or you're gone.

perfectly put MT. Could agree more.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
I dont think Greg Miller is the answer. can someone tell me what is claim to fame is ?
I will be waiting for a good answer to this as I can find one.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
jackstar said:
I dont think Greg Miller is the answer. can someone tell me what is claim to fame is ?

Well I think he has a eye for young talent Jackstar.

He did recruit Carey, Stevens, Archer, (to name a few) to the Kangaroos and I thinkthey may won a couple of premierships. ;)

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
mightytiges said:

Interesting MT that you've just highlighted one of the things I have been arguing regarding Danny Frawley and his position. The support that he has needed has not been there - that clause in a way proved it and you have just said it:

"More worrying was the fact it showed the Club was not thinking about the long-term interests of the footy side at the time it negoitated the contract. Basically said give us short-term mediocre success (make the finals) or you're gone."

I am not trying to put words into your mouth - I understand your opinion of Danny but the mess we find ourselves has been caused by a few more people than Danny Frawley.

M

Merv18

All valid points in my humble opinion.

Miller does have a reputation for spotting young talent, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so the jury is still out as far as his role at RFC is concerned.

Let's give him the chance to show his worth in what will be his second trade period at RFC.

Let him demonstrate the abilities we hired him for, but what I won't cop is him bagging members and supporters or questioning their loyalty.

Thankfully, he hasn't done it for a while - but his stupid comments about David Hookes and the leaked memo, don't fill me with confidence about his ability to engage the brain before the mouth.

Likewise, his "blind faith" comment about Frawley was just plain stupid. Support for the coach is one thing, but he is accountable like everyone else and blind faith just isn't an option.

The Board will determine Frawley's future - not Miller. And the Board is accountable to the members (we elect them and we can un-elect them).

So in summary, I say to Miller get on with the job we are paying you for and keep your mouth shut on matters that are not your business or responsibility.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
I will tell you something, there is no wrap in footy circles about him.
His performance so far has been very ordinary, slagging supporters at the start of the year and the email saga with David Hookes.How we all forget !

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Koalalill said:
I am not trying to put words into your mouth - I understand your opinion of Danny but the mess we find ourselves has been caused by a few more people than Danny Frawley.

Agree KL Danny is not solely to blame. If the coach was our only problem we wouldn't be in this 23 year old drought we find ourselves in.

I base my opinion of Danny on his negative coaching style and lack of modern day strategy/tactics. Add to that repeating past short-cut drafting/trading errors. That clause was removed at the end of last year as a condition for Miller accepting the director of football job. Even with it gone and the lack of a game plan in 2002, Danny hasn't changed his coaching style nor did he avoid drafting more fringe players after the failure with Hudson and Houlihan the year before. That's why I don't see him changing next year or anytime in the future even with a good strong Club structure around to support him.

IMO he should be honest with himself and resign after round 22. Let Miller clean out the list and give the new kids coming aboard a coach that they'll be certain will last longer than only one more year. They need someone who they know is going to around for a few years and so what he says gets done.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
As far as I understand it Millers job was to review all aspects of performance at RFC. COACHING - RECRUITING - PLAYER CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS- and just about anything else that rattles and bangs at the club,at seasons end he is then supposed to advise the board what needs to be implemented to fix any problem areas. Regardless to wether anyone likes him much or not his reputation as a football administrator during his time at the Kangas was second to no-one.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Koalalill said:
He did recruit Carey, Stevens, Archer, (to name a few) to the Kangaroos and I thinkthey may won a couple of premierships. ;)

I think having Denis Pagan rather than Danny Frawley coaching could have played a part in that too, ha. ;D

Agree with others here. I've posted my dislike of Greg's media comments before. The bagging supporters, the Collingwood don't respect Richmond episode. I heard Greg interviewed about Campbo not playing in the west and he virtually called them liars, then a few days later the club admitted what they'd been saying.

The biggest disgrace imo is not publicly apologising to the Vic Cricket Team after very public accusations against them. I think it's pretty low not to come out and retract the accusations, and is a slur on all Richmond members and the club.

I am also interested how people have such blind faith in Greg, and see him as the saviour of our club. I guess I prefer to see results rather than believe something because I'm told to.

Here's hoping the results are good.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
Just realise one thing, when he left North he applied for a job at the AFL, the application found its way striaght in the BIN, thats a fact.
He wasnt the reason the North were a power. he wasnt kicking the goals or taking the marks.
People at North hate his guts and were glad to see his arse, he has alot of enemies.
Lets face it, North had the BEST player in the last 10 years playing for them and a super coach who had everyone playing for him, his name is Denis Pagan, not GREG MILLER.
I will tell you ,he is no savoir, dont kid yourselves please.His performance so far at Tigerland has been poor, For the RFC sakes, lets hope he improves. I dont think he will

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
jackstar said:

Greg Miller turned North Melbourne / The Kangaroos from being shocking to being the side of the 90's.

He made excellent recruiting decisions and did what it took to win games.

Remember, Greg Miller has only been at the club for less than a year. Things take time. Give him 2-3 years before passing judgement. Go the guy a go, he has so much on his plate at the moment.

Greg Miller has already said he has gone thru the list and changes are going to happen. Lets sit back and see what changes are done.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
lets just see what happens. ;)
Thats just see what happens in the next crisis at Tigerland and who runs for cover.
I tell you the Major problem at Richmond is there isnt enough RICHMOND people at the club.
You will probably find the guys like Matty Knights and Craig Lambert will NEVER come back.
Everybody though that Mark Brayshaw was the in person 2 years ago, What a mess we are in now, players overpaid on rediculous contacts, wouldnt be too hard for anyone with half a brain to make some impact at a club thats underperforming and going no where.
Was it Greg Miller that turned North melbourne around ?
is that a fact or just something that he puts is hand up for. I think you will find that Ron Joseph had a big say in how north was run. Also they did have the best player in Wayne Carey destroy opposition teams all the time.
Greg Miller has made a fool of himself at his short time here, I suppose he cant get any worse.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
The media comments MILLER has made so far are storm in a tea cup stuff compared to the situation the club is in at the moment. We have gone from bad to worse and the decline started long before MILLER arrived.

I don't know whether is the saviour or not, I am just praying he is, because if he ain't then I don't see a single soul at the club who has a clue about turning it around if he can't.

I am reserving my judgement until the off season when we will see if he puts his money where his mouth is.

If Spud was astute and dedicated to the long term future of the club why the hell would you agree to a contract with that clause in it in the first place. Surely he would have argued that it was detrimental to the long term development of the list. The fact that the administrator and the Coach don't appear to have seen that then what hope do we have.

Unfortunatley if MILLER doesn't deliver in the off season then I fear we are in serious serious trouble.

I really don't know alot about MILLERS influence at North, but he has been around a successful culture which is more than I can say for half of the people at the club at the moment.

To say that he was hated by a lot of people at North does not phase me as people who are prepared to make hard decision usually make enemies pretty easily. I think we all agree their needs to be some hard decisions made at Tigerland at the moment. Whether he is the man to do it.......well only time will tell.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
gustiger12 said:
To say that he was hated by a lot of people at North does not phase me as people who are prepared to make hard decision usually make enemies pretty easily.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I ccommend him for making tough decisions even if it pisses a few people off.

Aaron NOT Fiora

I'm a llama!
Aug 22, 2003
Nick,
You are right on the money. Miller gets the credit for North's success, he had a bit to do with Carey being recruited and has lived on it for 10 years. That plus the fact he's a nice guy, hey we've already got the nice guy covered with Spud.
I hope he's not a cheque signatory, he nearly sent North broke!
Miller's got to be on $200,000 plus and what for? To basically help others with their job. I agree, if the others aren't capable, get rid of them.
Can anyone tell me when these guys called PASS are going to play. That's all we seemed to do at the last draft and internal draft.