What would we have to give? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What would we have to give?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Can't believe I'm actually doing a trade post, they're too speculative for me to cope with.

I was just wondering if Miller is going all out to get Nick Stevens or Luke Power what would we have to give in return?

There is the Otto going home to Adelaide option, but I'd hate to see that trade happen. Otto and Cogs would be my two top untouchables. They'd also our top couple of really desirables for other teams.

I wonder who Brisbane would fancy from our list? (Aside from Pettifer who'd be good up there, well strutting around on the beaches up there anyway.) If they are choc a block up the salary cap they might prefer picks to players. Do we want to give up picks.

Joel is the main name being put up as trade bait, but do either Port or Brisbane need him?

Maybe Joel and Pettifer to Dogs for Brown (and 1st round pick? ;) )

We don't have a lot of players who'd be that attractive to other clubs that they'd give up top players for.

I think Miller is determined to get one of the above type players, so can anyone see any likely trade scenarios, or would our early picks be likely to be given up in the deal.

Does anyone else think Otto is virtually an untouchable, assuming we won't get a gun midfielder and the top 2 picks from a club for him.

Maybe Spud and Pettifer (only cos Tom would look good in the #8 jumper ;D ) for Matthews and Power? Ahhhhhhh dream on.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
I have posted this before.

We will probably have pick 7 or 8 as our first pick

We need to try and do a deal with the Bulldogs to get
their 1st pick (pick 4 overall - not the priority one they aint gonna give that up). We give them Hall & Bowden for pick four.

We keep pick 4 and then try and do a deal with Port Adel for Stevens by offering Fiora (hey chuck in Pettifer if you want as long as he goes) and pick 7 or 8.

I think we are more likely to do a deal with Port over Brisbane simple as there is nothing we could offer thhen that would appeal - Bris would want Cogs and he isn't for trade. Today, tomorrow, next month, next year if ever

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Brisbane have a crack midfield they look like losing a player from due to the salary cap, I doubt they'd be able to afford Cogs.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
rosy3 said:
Do we want to give up picks.

I just wish the Club would come out and say whether we are rebuilding or think that we are close to being a good team. I think this draft period will determine which way we are going.

I would much rather we were rebuilding, in which case I would hate to think that we would give up draft picks.

I know it's mainly speculation, but some of the names that are being put up go above the age bracket of players we should be considering.

As you say Rosy, there's probably not too many players on our list that other Clubs would want to trade for, so it seems only logical that we may have to give up draft picks.

They can take their beady eyes off the players they would want. :mad:

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
Brisbane will be looking for draft picks as they are under a lot of salary cap pressure. This means they'll be looking to offload a player or two. How good would Jarryd Brennan look in yellow and black? I bet it doesn't happen but it gives me tingles. I think we'll end up trading players to clubs below us on the ladder in exchange for draft picks which will be onsold for quality players. This will only happen if Beck has absolutely no part in the equation and Frawley and Brittain keep their mouths shut. Let's all pray that Miller is as good as we think at the footy game. If, as we've been led to believe, the draft is a bit thin this year we should be chasing players no older than 24 to fill the gaping holes on our list.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
i,ve said it before we need to have 2 1st rnd picks one for a good cub [hopefully fergul watts] and the other as trade bait for the above players mentioned.

Ox

"Waitin' for 05."
Aug 19, 2003
Yeah Rosy3, I rekkon Otto is an untouchable, not to mention Cogs.You know the rest.....

GoldCoastTiger

Where do we go from here?
Aug 15, 2003
Gold Coast
Koalalill said:
I have posted this before.

We will probably have pick 7 or 8 as our first pick

We need to try and do a deal with the Bulldogs to get
their 1st pick (pick 4 overall - not the priority one they aint gonna give that up). We give them Hall & Bowden for pick four.

We keep pick 4 and then try and do a deal with Port Adel for Stevens by offering Fiora (hey chuck in Pettifer if you want as long as he goes) and pick 7 or 8.

I think we are more likely to do a deal with Port over Brisbane simple as there is nothing we could offer thhen that would appeal - Bris would want Cogs and he isn't for trade. Today, tomorrow, next month, next year if ever

I think thats an excellent trade, and one that is realistic.
Id like to think theyd never trade cogs and otto, i mean how could we possibly WIN in a trade letting go of those two. They are the future.
So many variables, but i think we will end up with quite a few draft picks as we will delist at least 8 players i think.
It may even turn out that Richmond has the major power and influence in the next trade, we are in the perfect position.
Remember last year, it wasnt a bad trade period for us.
I wonder how much input Miller had last year in our trading???

Bulluss

Go the Mighty Tigers
Aug 11, 2003
Melbourne
I think that you are all a bit quick to get rid of Ray Hall, he has been sorely missed this season with his ability to play all over the ground in various positions. People say that he isnt that smart, well i think that he has made significant progress over the last couple of years and this year was a right of for him.

i would be very surprised if they let someone with Razor's height and versatility go.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Agree with Bulluss. Razor is a pretty handy backstop to have, considering our lack of talls.

He's been used for all types of band aid jobs. I'd like to see how he goes with a regular spot in a settled, well coached team.

I'd hate to give up both Razor and Joel for a pick which, with our track record, could amount to nothing but another Pettifer.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Bulluss said:
I think that you are all a bit quick to get rid of Ray Hall, he has been sorely missed this season with his ability to play all over the ground in various positions.

i would be very surprised if they let someone with Razor's height and versatility go.
It's a pity they didn't look at setting him for CHB from last year onwards. hopefully they may work on it over the preseason.

Fireman_Sam

A 'non-sexual' example of the 69 position
Feb 26, 2003
Wales

You can now erase Fiora as potential trade bait .. Mr Squiggly has just re-signed for another two years.

GoldCoastTiger

Aug 15, 2003
Gold Coast
I think if they traded very smart, leaving Richo, cogs, johnno, krakour, ottens, rodan as the untouchables.. they may be able to manouver in getting both a stevens like player and nathan brown.
Denis Pagan came out last night and said they might have to look at trading there 1st pick(not sure what there 1st pick is bc of there fines etc..)
We could trade that and offer a player and 1st pick too Port Adelaide in exchange for stevens.
Bowden is somewhere in that misx too.
How to get Brown, im not sure, but theres other playes and draft picks to offer

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
If we began with a list of untouchables would that simplify matters?

Otto
Cogs
Kellaway
Chaffey...

and then who?

Rodan
Kraks
McGrath ?
Hall
Holland
Richo
Fiora ??

GoldCoastTiger

Aug 15, 2003
Gold Coast
No worries roar.. I think u also forgot about the Madcow..
Hes the heart of that club, and i think if they did trade him it would have enormeous negative impact in many areas. i think he should stay, foor good. Buts thats only my umble opinion.
Ive probably left out someone else who should be untouchable too, but just cant seem too.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
I would forget about chasing Nathan Brown.

As much as he is a quality player he would come with a very expensive price tag on his head and it is obvious from his antics this year that he is a player that plays for the money rather than for the jumper.

I don't think Richmond in their present status would want to chase a player like that. We want players who play their guts out for the Yellow and Black jumper on their back.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Can't get the old brainbox into gear today...who's "Madcow"?

I should have put Staff in there too, and Cambo.

And right on, YT!!!!

GoldCoastTiger

Aug 15, 2003
Gold Coast
Madcow is Richo, someone posted it on another thread, cant remember who. I just thought it was worthwhile, he has a huge heart but can be crazy..
As for finding players who would play there guts out for us, who would u suggest??

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
I would certainly find Nick Stevens as being more likely to play his guts out for the Tigers than Nathan Brown.

He wouldn't come cheap however.