Time to make the tough decisions over the next few years!!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Time to make the tough decisions over the next few years!!!

P

PuntRoadRoar

Stayers:

1. Justin Blumfield- haven’t seen enough of him to judge, maybe make the bench of a decent 22
2. Joel Bowden- with our current crop is one of our best players but disappears when it matters the most
3. Wayne Campbell- worthy of our jumper, a priveledge to watch
4. Mark Chaffey – hard nut who needs more support, definite inclusion.
5. Mark Coughlan- good kid with plenty to offer and support our midfield
6. Darren Gaspar – our best backman, but overpaid
7. Ben Holland – another injury prone player, liked what I saw a few seasons ago as a backman but over paid.
8. Kane Johnson – I like him, needs support atm, offers hope.
9. Andrew Kellaway – I like him as a backman, gives 100%
10. Andrew Krakouer – finally someone who will offer us hope. Shown enough to keep me happy and will only get better.
11. Chris Newman – definite stayer, this kid has a lot to offer.
12. Brad Ottens – love him but needs support, someone to build a team around him
13. Matthew Richardson – one of our best players but when it counts doesn’t deliver. Too inconsistent, frustrating, would keep him but borderline.
14. David Rodan – stayer, he would be in my team, like his agility and is a possible match winner
15. Jay Schulz – don’t know never seen him play, good raps, would keep him from what I hear, maybe a future replacement for richo?
16. Greg Stafford – staying, provides Richmond with options with a fit ottens
17. Greg Tivendale – stay, last year very disappointing but has shown a lot more consistency this year.
18. Ty Zantuck – to stay, need some players who have a dip but can dispose of the ball under pressure, still a lot to learn.

Border line

1.Duncan Kellaway – I think he was great, but injury prone, I think he needs to call it a day.
2.Martin McGrath – haven’t seen him, sounded impressive early but lacks discipline from what I hear, but can he play? If not then shouldn’t on the list.
3.Marc Dragicevic – been too long out of it, 2 recon’s will he worth it? Personally I think he has to go

Time to go:

Craig Biddiscombe – time to go, is a bit player not good enough to make the 22
Leon Cameron – would have to be his last season, very good at rebounding but that’s about it.
Aaron Fiora – very disappointing, for so much expectations, has to be given the boot
Tim Fleming – likes to go in hard once, but doubt very much if theres quality, I know why he never got a game with the blues
Ray Hall – just not good enough, lacks consistency
Rory Hilton – lost a bit of heart since he lost a bit of his shoulder, not good enough these days, never had any skill.
Adam Houlihan – time to go, try’s to do the special thing instead of the right thing, too fancy. Chris Hyde – never paid him enough attention, does he play? Or not good enough perhaps?
Clinton King – never liked him never will, should be the first to go, for a possession onballer doesn’t get the ball often and when he gets it is a crap kick, not big enough to be a in and under player with heart like dunc, chaffy etc.
Andrew Mills – another who I haven’t paid much attention 2, is it because he hasn’t been given a go or maybe just not good enough
Bill Nicholls – been injured and in reserves most of the year, haven’t seen enough, same old story as the others
Kane Pettifer – not good enough, need players who can get the pill and deliver when it counts most
Matthew Rogers – time to go matty, was good service but is now becoming too slow and being exposed too often
Daniel Sipthorp – don’t know never seen him play.
Royce Vardy – I don’t think he would be in most 22’s on that theory its time to go

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Agree with most of the PRR

Think you may have been a bit harsh on the following:

Fiora - looked a bit better today, we need to let him settle into a position.

Hall - again, better today, and we are light on for talls as it is, he stays unless a great trade offer comes up

Pettifer - this kid has talent, just needs an oppurtunity to show it. Not 5 minutes on the ground, 3-4 weeks on full game time, so we can really see what he can offer.

Sipthorp - he is 18, still doing his VCE, so i think we can cut him some slack for now.

Vardy - not a star, but very handy to have on the list as a back up tall. probably never a starting 18 player, but can go forward or back, and offers more than most

P

PuntRoadRoar

fair enough DF,

but we both agree something needs to be done. that performance today was the last straw for all of us.

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
Agree dump all them hacks and then some D Kellaway needs to head the list its a blight on the club and the AFL itself that this man ever played league football at all.

GhostofJimmyJess

Tiger Cub
Dec 19, 2002
PuntRoadRoar said:
Time to go:

Craig Biddiscombe – time to go, is a bit player not good enough to make the 22
Leon Cameron – would have to be his last season, very good at rebounding but that’s about it.
Aaron Fiora – very disappointing, for so much expectations, has to be given the boot
Tim Fleming – likes to go in hard once, but doubt very much if theres quality, I know why he never got a game with the blues
Ray Hall – just not good enough, lacks consistency
Rory Hilton – lost a bit of heart since he lost a bit of his shoulder, not good enough these days, never had any skill.
Adam Houlihan – time to go, try’s to do the special thing instead of the right thing, too fancy. Chris Hyde – never paid him enough attention, does he play? Or not good enough perhaps?
Clinton King – never liked him never will, should be the first to go, for a possession onballer doesn’t get the ball often and when he gets it is a crap kick, not big enough to be a in and under player with heart like dunc, chaffy etc.
Andrew Mills – another who I haven’t paid much attention 2, is it because he hasn’t been given a go or maybe just not good enough
Bill Nicholls – been injured and in reserves most of the year, haven’t seen enough, same old story as the others
Kane Pettifer – not good enough, need players who can get the pill and deliver when it counts most
Matthew Rogers – time to go matty, was good service but is now becoming too slow and being exposed too often
Daniel Sipthorp – don’t know never seen him play.
Royce Vardy – I don’t think he would be in most 22’s on that theory its time to go

Many of the same names coming up yet again, as they did this time last year, and even two years ago ... substitute Fleming in for Sziller, and Nicholls for Daffy maybe.

Hall, Hilton, Fiora and Houlihan also seem to have found their way into the not-so-prestigious recycle bin.

Bit tough on Sipthorpe, however. He was chosen at 62 after all ... he is not yet a recruiting mistake.

Fortunately the contracts of many of the above expire at seasons end ... we shall no longer owe them anything. This SHOULD free up our list somewhat, ensuring an injection of young talent come October.

Add to this the end of our commitment to such yokes around our necks as the Daffy and Bourke payouts, Cambo and Duncan (if he survives!?) on the vets list, and all of a sudden there's room in the cap.

We MUST use these positives to access TOP TEN draft picks ... one of which we look like 'earning' on our own merits, another - a Top 5 - that we NEED to trade for.

The draft picks we used/wasted on getting Johnson, Nicholls and Fleming could have had four 18 year-olds, including Daniel Wells and another Top 20er, inside the Top 50 picks. Blumfield appeared at the time to be worthwhile at 29 ... we'll see about that one.

Surely the second or third best Calder Cannon or Western Jet was/is a better option than Billy Nicholls!?

Maybe we may also be served well by looking at the St Kilda model (not Michael Roberts, either).

Trade of Tony Lockett = Grand Final appearance 2 years later.

Trade of Barry Hall = High draft pick and contributes to having the best young group in the league.

Trade of Peter Everett = High draft pick and contributes to having the best young group in the league.

Now, let's apply this to Tigerland.

Trade of Matthew Richardson (a lesser player than the above three, by the way, no matter what his biggest fans may tell you) = No.1 Draft Pick + nearly 10% of our salary cap.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Carlton played two 18 year olds yeasterday - one picked at 72 (Fisher) and one at 79 (Norman). Schulz was picked at 12 yet according to Frawely he is not ready. Fisher for Carlton shows alot of promise - yet we picked Fleming 31 picks ahead of him and Nicholls 25 picks ahead - 2 proven hacks.

Judd has just torn Brisbane apart in brisbane.