Tom Green | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tom Green

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Just a thought whether in 2020 we will look to trade our 1st round pick and a sweetener for a 2021 1st rounder.

Then, we will look to start bargaining for Green in 2021 for 2 x mid to late 1st round picks as a starting point depending how his career is going.

Hoping he will be wanting to come home in a couple years.

Unless young Rioli dominates next year, he won't be getting a 1st round bid I wouldn't have thought, but trading our 1st next year may just provide a security blanket for a potential early bid.

Thoughts?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
*smile* joke that he is a GWS academy pick

Reactions: 2 users

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Guarantee the AFL will introduce a grandfather/grandson rule when it suits one of their project clubs.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
It's also a joke how they can bundle up late junk picks like 67 78 84 etc to match a top ten bid. Its like trading 3 duds you are about to delist for Fyfe.
Farce.

Reactions: 4 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The academy's and NGA will have to cease in their current form as they although they were set up with good intentions, the AFL clubs have quickly learn to rort them. There are NGA qualified players who have, despite having one parent born overseas, played footy since Auskick. And there are more pale skinned red haired indigenous in a NGA then there is in the rest of Australia.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
It's also a joke how they can bundle up late junk picks like 67 78 84 etc to match a top ten bid. Its like trading 3 duds you are about to delist for Fyfe.
Farce.

they cant really, they need to use their highest pick to match a bid

Pick 10 is worth 1395, take away the 20% discount = 1116 points, pick 60 is worth 146 points and pick 70 is 39 points, so it it would take approx 20 picks in the 60s to match so basically impossible

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
LMFAO that he said in his interview that he was at the GF supporting the tiges, notwithstanding he's a GWS academy player and 99.999999% chance of lining up for them next year.

Don't think the GWS room was that impressed when he said that

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

Pick 10 is worth 1395, take away the 20% discount = 1116 points, pick 60 is worth 146 points and pick 70 is 39 points, so it it would take approx 20 picks in the 60s to match so basically impossible
Their next pick was 40. They traded 40 59 and 60 for pick 10.

How does this in deficit thing work? What if they only had later picks?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
The academy's and NGA will have to cease in their current form as they although they were set up with good intentions, the AFL clubs have quickly learn to rort them. There are NGA qualified players who have, despite having one parent born overseas, played footy since Auskick. And there are more pale skinned red haired indigenous in a NGA then there is in the rest of Australia.

Issac Quanyor. Born in Australia and played footy his whole life. So *smile* what that his dad was born in Ghana? If Isaac was also born in Ghana and emigrated to Australia when he was 10 or so then it's a different story. But he didn't.

The NGAs are a rort. They should be for genuinely disadvantaged players only; those whose background does not allow them to follow the regular pathways that lead to a potential AFL career.

Reactions: 5 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

But this is exactly what they did Taz. They used picks 41, 56, 59, 67 & 71 to match the bid. The problem is that these picks total 862 points which is well short (254) of what they need to match the bid; 1116 points. So they have to go into deficit. What the hell does that mean? Well there is some convaluted formula which means the balance of the points must be used in next years draft. What a load of *smile*. If you match a bid you should have to use picks from the current draft. They've been able to jag what many consider to be a top 5 draft pick by using absolute junk picks and even then they didn't match the points required. Plus they got another top 5 pick in Lachie Ash.

It is an absolute rort and a farce.

Reactions: 5 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
But this is exactly what they did Taz. They used picks 41, 56, 59, 67 & 71 to match the bid. The problem is that these picks total 862 points which is well short (254) of what they need to match the bid; 1116 points. So they have to go into deficit. What the hell does that mean? Well there is some convaluted formula which means the balance of the points must be used in next years draft. What a load of ****. If you match a bid you should have to use picks from the current draft. They've been able to jag what many consider to be a top 5 draft pick by using absolute junk picks and even then they didn't match the points required. Plus they got another top 5 pick in Lachie Ash.

It is an absolute rort and a farce.
going into deficit I think means their 1st pick next year gets pushed back by that amount, so if they have pick 14 (1161) next year , they would drop back to pick 21 (878).

The problem was , that no club bid a top 5 pick on him so his draft value was the earliest bid received so pick 10

I blame Melbourne, If they had bid pick 3, GWS would have had to use their pick 4, reckon they did some sort of deal myself

Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
going into deficit I think means their 1st pick next year gets pushed back by that amount, so if they have pick 14 (1161) next year , they would drop back to pick 21 (878).

The problem was , that no club bid a top 5 pick on him so his draft value was the earliest bid received so pick 10

I blame Melbourne, If they had bid pick 3, GWS would have had to use their pick 4, reckon they did some sort of deal myself
Agree with this. Call me a simpleton, but sticking a bid in to keep them honest was a no brainer. Either corrupt or dumb not to, take your pick I suppose, its Melbourne after all

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008

The worst thing about this is that they’ve already traded away their first, meaning the points don’t even come off that. Instead they come off their 2nd, which they won’t really care about. Twice in four years they’ve pulled this too, with Taranto and Setterfield giving them two top 5 picks in 2016 - it’s just lucky that latter turned out to not be much good.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
The worst thing about this is that they’ve already traded away their first, meaning the points don’t even come off that. Instead they come off their 2nd, which they won’t really care about. Twice in four years they’ve pulled this too, with Taranto and Setterfield giving them two top 5 picks in 2016 - it’s just lucky that latter turned out to not be much good.

As I said; it's a rort and a farce.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

Yes think you're right Taz but as posted by footballmonk below they don't even have a first rounder next year. They've rorted it beautifully.

And yes Melbourne is stupid for not making a bid. Unless there was a shady side deal.....................

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Do the Pies have an upcoming grandfather/grandson player in the works?

AFL will change the rules to suit them.

Instead, we will be forced to pay a premium for Green in a couple years when we should have had him with #19.