Tommy Hafey | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tommy Hafey

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I've just read the interview in this weeks Jungle Beat, that Andrew Kuuse did with Tommy Hafey a couple of weeks ago on Tigers club corner.
What a great interview it was, I think it was more inspiring reading it, than what it was listening to it.
You're a great, great man Tommy.
No wonder the players would've run through a brick wall for him.

Here here I to have heard Hafey speak an inspiring person to say the least.....you compare that to Frawelys bumbling attempts....no wonder he couldn't motivate an extremist

He might be getting on, but t-shirt Tommy would get better results than the current mob.

Still, coaching's only for nutters and steer clear of it lest it puts him in an early grave - stick to your 200 push-ups and 600 sit-ups before breakfast instead!.

Surprisingly I've heard from two or three people (never witnessed it myself unfortunately) that Frawley is actually fantastic pre-match and the atmosphere in the rooms is electric.

I've heard David Parkin speak a couple of times, and he's brilliant too.

Dean3 said:
Surprisingly I've heard from two or three people (never witnessed it myself unfortunately) that Frawley is actually fantastic pre-match and the atmosphere in the rooms is electric.

Can say the atmosphere in the rooms before the game is electric.

As for Tommy Hafey - had the absolute pleasure of meeting him - I was in awe :eek:

Dean3 said:
What did someone turn the lights on or put their finger in the power socket . :'( :'( :'(

Tommy...outstanding individual and Football Legend.

The kind of person you meet once and never forget.

Considering the high esteem Jack Dyer is held in people might think it a bit sacrilegeous of me to say this but I'd vote for Tommy as my favourite Tiger ever.

I've only really read of Jack's exploits for the club, but I've seen the results of Tommy's efforts first hand.

His passion for the club and his ability to impart it into teams was amazing. Opposition might have hated Richmond in Tommy's era but they always respected them as honest and tough.

Tommy's legacy lives on in the number of Tiger players under him are involved in coaching etc.

After all these years Tommy's passion for the Tiges is till obvious. He has time to talk to everyone and really seems to genuinely care.

His patience with kids is amazing and his public speaking is captivating. He doesn't resort to the tired old cliches and stories like some on the circuit. He speaks from the heart.

I think we're under utilising one of the greatest assets the Richmond Football Club could have.

The young guys would get goosebumps if they heard Tommy talk about pride for the Yellow and Black. It wasn't all about the $$$ in Tommy's day.

I wish Tommy was around the club more often. He's a true legend of Tigerland.

rosy3 said:
I think we're under utilising one of the greatest assets the Richmond Football Club could have.

The young guys would get goosebumps if they heard Tommy talk about pride for the Yellow and Black. It wasn't all about the $$$ in Tommy's day.

I wish Tommy was around the club more often. He's a true legend of Tigerland.

Rosy - Tommy is around the Club quite a bit these days. Especially now the Tommy Hafey Club has been established. The THC functions are fantastic. It is great to hear Tommy speak at those as well as seeing all his former players speak about him. Goosebump stuff I must say. Those players would still run through brick walls for him no doubt about it

I am pretty sure he has spoken to the playing group in the past as well. He certainly was chatting to some of the younger blokes the week I was there. I agree though they should use him more.

I heard Tommy interviewed on the radio a couple of years ago about his involvement at the club and he sounded heartborken when he replied that they never asked him to be around for anything. It's good it's changing but what a waste it's been just the same.