Trade period 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade period 2021

Maybe we are happy with our draft hand? It is pretty good as it is. One trade tactic is not to trade.
Yes, but what do you do with all the picks you cannot use? Fire-sale at the end of the draft night so get screwed some more?

Reactions: 1 user
Tell me about it, pretty frustrating. Who’s in charge of this department for us?

Is it Hartley, Livingston Or Clarke? other clubs seem to be a lot more active, and have the ability to get deals done quickly

Melbourne clearly the benchmark in this area.
It was the same last year and I was critical. We sat on our hands and did nothing. Sure, coming off a another flag and obviously a strong list, but as I have often said, in any highly competitive sport (or business) - if you're not moving ahead, effectively you go backwards. So we even gave our 1st to Geelol who took Holmes, who put in a promising season, playing mid/wing. But no use to us?

I copped flak for my view, but looks like here we go again. Nothing happening despite a truckload of picks while other clubs are doing deals all over the place. Crows refuse a very good offer from us, and probably others too. Just wondering if it's hate, or fear, or worse - lack of endeavour/initiative/persuasive abilities?

I can handle it if its the first two - if other clubs fear us still being in the window so they want to bring us down, hold us back, OK fine. Don't mind at all. Can accept that - it's a tribute to our success. But it seems unusual - AFL clubs usually don't baulk at any deals they perceive as an opportunity for them; few ethical considerations at all MO.

But not the latter three.
Looks like we are hitting the draft.
Looks like left with no choice.

Yes, but what do you do with all the picks you cannot use? Fire-sale at the end of the draft night so get screwed some more?
We haven't done our delistings yet and the trade period is 3 days old. I think we should keep our powder dry for the moment

Reactions: 2 users
We seem to be very quiet. I'm just wondering if other clubs are playing hardball or don't want to deal with us as we try to reload for another flag tilt?

It was the same last year and I was critical. We sat on our hands and did nothing. Sure, coming off a another flag and obviously a strong list, but as I have often said, in any highly competitive sport (or business) - if you're not moving ahead, effectively you go backwards. So we even gave our 1st to Geelol who took Holmes, who put in a promising season, playing mid/wing. But no use to us?

I copped flak for my view, but looks like here we go again. Nothing happening despite a truckload of picks while other clubs are doing deals all over the place. Crows refuse a very good offer from us, and probably others too. Just wondering if it's hate, or fear, or worse - lack of endeavour/initiative/persuasive abilities?

I can handle it if its the first two - if other clubs fear us still being in the window so they want to bring us down, hold us back, OK fine. Don't mind at all. Can accept that - it's a tribute to our success. But it seems unusual - AFL clubs usually don't baulk at any deals they perceive as an opportunity for them; few ethical considerations at all MO.

But not the latter three.

Looks like left with no choice.
I know what you mean about other clubs NOT wanting to deal with us b/c of our success - for a split second, I thought that too.
But the truth is the Bulldogs traded Pick 17 to the Dees.

We seem to be very quiet. I'm just wondering if other clubs are playing hardball or don't want to deal with us as we try to reload for another flag tilt?
Mr T, I wonder that too.

But as just posted, the Bulldogs traded 17 to the Premiers who bet them in the GF. And others were haggling for that very valuable pick.

Mr T, I wonder that too.

But as just posted, the Bulldogs traded 17 to the Premiers who bet them in the GF. And others were haggling for that very valuable pick.
If Dees had won 2 or 3 flags in a short period of time would they have been treated/dealt in the same?

Knowing that the Tiges were decimated with injuries and IF in 2022 they are free from major absences and the addition of key player then the comp is weary of this?

Reactions: 1 users
If Dees had won 2 or 3 flags in a short period of time would they have been treated/dealt in the same?

Knowing that the Tiges were decimated with injuries and IF in 2022 they are free from major absences and the addition of key player then the comp is weary of this?
I guess we will know in a couple of years IF the Dees win another flag - will then be interesting to see how the trade period pans out for them.

That happened in 2001 or 2003
When we got Ezra Poyas and Melbourne were shattered.
Also happened when we took McBean and Dudodoro got real salty. The look on his face was like he’d just been served a *smile* sandwich without the bread.

Our team thought it was hilarious - no coincidence that we refuse to deal with that cant.

News coming out of Punt Rd
Hartley and Clarke have woken from there hibernation.
Big moves today.
We shouldve came into this draft with pick 7-54-77
Gc and Footscary would've rescued us and we would be going into this year's draft with pick 19, 26, 28 and 45.

Not dealing with us would be very poor form considering how we have been very accomodating even generous with out dealings in the last few years

Question for the students of the game - is it better to hang onto youngsters who have shown 'glimpses' for an extra year or so, or is there merit in the argument that the genuinely good players demand a senior position early in their careers, and that you're better off cutting average performers early and bringing more fresh talent through the door to improve your chances of unearthing a quality player?

Do we hold onto our youngsters too long?
I'll repeat something Leppa said on radio earlier this year. You draft a kid for when they're going to be 22.

I think the first year you should see a glimpse or two at VFL level, unless they've got mature bodies, when you should see a bit more.
Second year you should see them performing to a consistent level at VFL level most of the time.
Third year they should be knocking on the AFL door regularly.
Fourth year they should be an AFL calibre player who is either held out by someone performing better or in the 22.
I think they'd get three years by default, unless they just can't dedicate themselves to the professionalism to get their body right.
By fourth year, unless they get an unfortunate injury, they're in the AFL or dominating the level below but waiting for a spot to open.
If they can't do that without some extenuating circumstance, flick em.

Reactions: 4 users
Still a bit to go in this trade period but I wonder if our Mr nice guy approach when helping Butler Lloyd etc get to their club of choice by giving them away for peanuts will come back to bite us cause when we might want something ourselves now & no one wants to play with us in return.

Still a bit to go in this trade period but I wonder if our Mr nice guy approach when helping Butler Lloyd etc get to their club of choice by giving them away for peanuts will come back to bite us cause when we might want something ourselves now & no one wants to play with us in return.
Nah.
The other clubs hate us and don't respect us. Exactly like the media.
They like the old shiit Richmond. Not this premiership winning model of Richmond.
We have given away players in the last couple of years, that should've got gold in return.
But they all seem to think our team is full if duds and not worth it.
Compare Essendon or Collingwood when they lose a player.

Trading starts in round 1 of the year. Not sure they need this 10 day period, it's just a media driven program.
2 day drafts.
10 day trade periods
10 days unsigned players
Just have a finish date. And do what the NRL sign up players mid season.