Trade period 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade period 2021

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Maybe the club made mistake loading up on picks
It looks like no one is interested in dealing with us.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
Tell me about it, pretty frustrating. Who’s in charge of this department for us?

Is it Hartley, Livingston Or Clarke? other clubs seem to be a lot more active, and have the ability to get deals done quickly

Melbourne clearly the benchmark in this area.

Reactions: 1 users

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Why the hate with having draft picks? Just delist or trade more players and bring in some Youngblood.

Reactions: 5 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Question for the students of the game - is it better to hang onto youngsters who have shown 'glimpses' for an extra year or so, or is there merit in the argument that the genuinely good players demand a senior position early in their careers, and that you're better off cutting average performers early and bringing more fresh talent through the door to improve your chances of unearthing a quality player?

Obviously it's not going to be as simple as that - a 17/18 year old with an immature physique will always struggle to compete with someone who has spent more time in the system building strength, endurance, and skills. That being said, there are plenty of players who get stronger and build a tank, but don't go on to be anything special.

There's also the argument that KPPs take longer to develop, but again, when you take off the rose coloured glasses and look at it objectively, it's almost always pretty obvious who's going to make it and who isn't.

To put it another way, how many players are out there getting regular senior games in good sides, that didn't look the goods pretty much straight from being recruited? I reckon they're the exception rather than the rule.

Do we hold onto our youngsters too long?
I'm no student of the game but I still thinks it's a really good question.

I think we do hang on to players for too long. Big or small - if they haven't shown something in the first three years I reckon we let them go.

There's always the chance of re-drafting them in a mid season or even main draft if they turn out to be something special.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
The picks can be traded right up to draft night, and can be important during the actual draft. You risk trading picks now that might be sub-optimal relative to final movements by the end of the draft.

Although you can't expect gifts every year like Collingwood's pick 2 (*smile* GWS)

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
There could be an option with the Blues and Freo for us I agree.

The Blues clearly don't want to give 6 and 25 for Cerra without getting something back. Maybe we can help. If we get Pick 40 for CJ, that give us 4 3rd rounders. Thinking we give 2 of them plus 28 to the Dogs for 17 and then we have the remaining 2 we could give to Carlton plus maybe a future 4th back to us (we could also do a similar deal with the Saints but would be for a 2022 2nd as opposed to a 2021 one).

Carlton could then trade 6 and 1 of the 3rds to Freo for cerra and keep the other 3rd themselves.

Agree on Clark with Geelong also, if we can't get higher (2 or 3) then maybe we look at add Pick 6 or 8 and swap 15 and 17 (we would need something else back too). I'm not sure whether we do this or not, with the draft so even, it may simply to come down to list spots, if we have them we keep the 2 picks, if we don't then we trade up for 1st choice of those prospects.

Watch the 19 go to Geelong. Unbelievable how they get the best deals for some of their players.

The Gold Coast Suns are on the verge of a deal that will see them send Will Brodie and Pick 19 to Fremantle, reports AFL Media’s Callum Twomey.

The report states that it will also include a swap of future picks and could unlock the Dockers’ deals for Jordan Clark and Adam Cerra with Geelong and Carlton respectively.

The Suns had been talking to the Demons and Kangaroos about off-loading their Pick 19 due to having a tight list and adding stock for next years draft.

It comes as Fremantle football boss Peter Bell on Wednesday confirmed the club’s interest in Brodie, 23, with Cerra set to leave a void in its midfield.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Whilst we have had some wins over the journey, trading is clearly not our strength unfortunately.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
There goes 17. Dees gonna get it.

So the Dogs will get 23, 44 and 45 for 1,524 points a gain of nearly 500 points. Thats a good get and probably more than they would get from us (they probably gain a bit from a number of teams as opposed to just 1. If we had given 26, 42 and 47 it would have been 1,440 so they are getting a sweeter deal. We'd have needed to throw 38 in there instead of 47 (which we might not be allowed to yet being as the FA period isn't over yet).

Certainly limits our options going forward. I wonder if this dictates what we trade CCJ for now. Maybe it will be purely future picks and nothing in this draft. We already have 7 picks and need to trade up.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
They don't exactly want us increasing our chances of returning into flag calculations for as long as possible.

Only thing is we still are for next year anyway.

Deez might be in a Flag hangover and we've got pretty much everyone else covered still at our best with a fit list.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Whilst we have had some wins over the journey, trading is clearly not our strength unfortunately.
It’s meant to be Hartley’s strength. So far he has over paid for players, received unders for our trades and can’t get a pick upgrade to save himself. On track to be ranked up there with Terry Wallace

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Saints might be our best option for a trade of our 3rds. They need picks for their 2 academy kids but that mega trade just weakened their ability to do it.

If we estimate they go at 20 and 30 with the flat discount of 197 points, they would still need 1,147 points to match. They have 272 points after Pick 9, so are short by 875 points.

I'd trade 38 (when we can), 42 and 47 for their future 2nd, 3rd and we give a future 4th back. I might be asking too much.

We might need to take Norths future 3rd for CJ now.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
The club that keeps giving.
90% of that list is from other clubs.
No development.
Trade period started 15 minutes ago and they have already 3 players going there, Young Cerra & Hewitt.
They might break the world record and bring in 44 new players
I'm still peeing myself over Carlton trading for 4 GWS rejects in 2015.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
So the Dogs will get 23, 44 and 45 for 1,524 points a gain of nearly 500 points. Thats a good get and probably more than they would get from us (they probably gain a bit from a number of teams as opposed to just 1. If we had given 26, 42 and 47 it would have been 1,440 so they are getting a sweeter deal. We'd have needed to throw 38 in there instead of 47 (which we might not be allowed to yet being as the FA period isn't over yet).

Certainly limits our options going forward. I wonder if this dictates what we trade CCJ for now. Maybe it will be purely future picks and nothing in this draft. We already have 7 picks and need to trade up.
Its not a bad business
*smile* away draft picks away and then rely on clubs coming to your rescue.
I can't believe how Collingwood, Footscary and even GC have had the upper hand in gaining picks, while we sit there with 745 picks and doing Jack *smile*.
It will be devastating if we get to draft night and we only have 4 spots open and 8 picks available.