Trading two draft choices for a single player. Nup. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trading two draft choices for a single player. Nup.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
You don't do it.

First rounders? For Treloar. ATM he's an exception.

High ones for a 23yo Fyfe would be in order.

Second rounders? Not two - for a fit Yarran. And certainly not for an absent one.

The problem in trading two years of second rounders for Yarran was not about Yarran. It was about the two year cost. Brutal. Brutal.

*Oh, but we traded many rationalisation - pick 19 etc*

Two years of second rounders is a very high price. The cost to the club is out of control.

Whoever concocted the price we paid for Yarran must be marched out of the joint. Or take a pay cut. ;)

We never pay two consecutive draft choices again unless it's for a champion.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Absolutely agree. This is the sort of *smile* thinking/decision-making that kills any coach!

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Fair call Jack.

I have no issue trading out draft picks to get quality players. We might have to do it again this year for Prestia.

Its making sure we do it with the right players.

I will put my hand up and say I was one of those who wanted Yarran. But looking back now that was a mistake.

The two grand finalists yesterday were made up on a specific type of player - bull at the gate, uncompromising footballers. Some were not necessarily quality players but they were relentless.

Therefore next time we decide to give up draft picks for a player if they don't possess these qualities then we should not even think about entertaining any sort of trade for them.

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
Its not the trading of picks for players that hurts, its the lack of trading out players for more picks that has cost us because it just doesn't happen
at this club.
The Yarran deal was a bad egg because somebody didn't do their homework and has been shown up as an unprofessional employee but we'll keep them on our books
because its all about stability, remember?
Trading 2 picks for a player is fine as long as you do the bloody homework and get an actual player that gets on the park, hows the saying go?

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Smoking Aces said:
Fair call Jack.

I have no issue trading out draft picks to get quality players. We might have to do it again this year for Prestia.

Its making sure we do it with the right players.

I will put my hand up and say I was one of those who wanted Yarran. But looking back now that was a mistake.

The two grand finalists yesterday were made up on a specific type of player - bull at the gate, uncompromising footballers. Some were not necessarily quality players but they were relentless.

Therefore next time we decide to give up draft picks for a player if they don't possess these qualities then we should not even think about entertaining any sort of trade for them.

I began opposed to the Prestia deal, just as I am still angry about the Yarran fiasco. Stopped arguing about DP out of respect for some astute football posters on here re his merits.
Now reverting to my original position. Not in favour ever because the selling club will often finish ahead on the deal. They want an advantageous return firstly. Secondly, they know a) why they're prepared to lose that player and b) his strengths and weaknesses holistically e.g Yarran off-field issues and c) detailed medical knowledge of the state of their body compiled over years, which influences their worth heavily.

The two teams that made the GF made up my mind. They've just drafted and selected much more suitable players for modern AFL than we have. Young players mostly, from drafting, even high picks and rookies especially. Sure, some high value top-ups to ice the cake such as Buddy or Tom Boyd, but the foundation is built via the former. We have failed therein mostly thus far, over years. Only hoping 2014 drafting might be a success.

Treloar is an excellent example. We identified him as a high quality player too. But have the Scum really come out ahead on him, compared to GWS, and what they had to give up, as good as he was in '16? Not going on Ladder finish, nor drafting picks going forward.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The Yarran deal is Jordy McMahon all over again. But we paid more, much more!

If you can’t get a pacey back flanker for less than two second round draft picks, cripes. Shut the joint down

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
When you look at the 2015 draft and see names like Bonner, Balic and Mathieson still on the board it's clear we overpaid. It will be doubly disappointing when we look at the players available this year.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Triply disappointing, if Yarran never plays top AFL footy for us. Are you confident he will?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
leon said:
Triply, if Yarran never plays top AFL footy for us. Are you confident he will?
I reckon he,ll play for us but he's a bust no doubt.

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008
The only consolation from this deal was that it was Gold Coast rather than Carlton who were the main beneficiaries. I just don't know why we didn't insist on another pick coming back (say GC's 3rd from this year). For this reason GC should play nicely over Prestia, perhaps work in their pick 4 for our pick 6 so we can leapfrog Carlton and get our player of choice.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Dyer'ere said:
You don't do it.

First rounders? For Treloar. ATM he's an exception.

High ones for a 23yo Fyfe would be in order.

Second rounders? Not two - for a fit Yarran. And certainly not for an absent one.

The problem in trading two years of second rounders for Yarran was not about Yarran. It was about the two year cost. Brutal. Brutal.

*Oh, but we traded many rationalisation - pick 19 etc*

Two years of second rounders is a very high price. The cost to the club is out of control.

Whoever concocted the price we paid for Yarran must be marched out of the joint. Or take a pay cut. ;)

We never pay two consecutive draft choices again unless it's for a champion.

Actually the two draft picks added together equal a pick between 11 and 12. One of the worst trades in recent times.

Tellitasitis

Tiger Rookie
Jul 13, 2016
Draft picks are free punt if you are any good at it. Trading isn't. Three options with trading, someone screws you over (ala Carlton who would have delisted Yarran as a last resort - he was never saying when you look at his history over the two previous seasons), or you break close to even in value, or you are lucky and screw another Club over (and look out the next time).

Go to the well with first and second picks!

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigertim said:
I reckon he,ll play for us but he's a bust no doubt.

? I don't get it. If he doesn't play he's a bust for sure obviously. But if he plays, whether or not he's a bust depends on his form doesn't it?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
tigersnake said:
? I don't get it. If he doesn't play he's a bust for sure obviously. But if he plays, whether or not he's a bust depends on his form doesn't it?
Sorry, I should've added the "IMO" or an "I reckon".

He's 1/3 into his contract and not played a game.

So IF he plays for us in 2017 I don't believe he,ll be Chris Yarran at his best because he comes into 2017 with a year off from football and as we are told its very hard to come back into full form after a year off.

So I reckon he,ll play footy for us but when we look back at the end ( whenever that may be) we,ll see he was a bust for the RFC.

Oct 20, 2006
MelBun
scottyturnerscurse said:
Yarran will be like a new recruit for us next year.

Let's hope so - and a good one at that.

To give up a 1st rounder (two seconds packaged) we rated him highly despite his lack of form.

We need more than just Yarran, Prestia and a fit Lids. We need the return to for of Ellis and Edwards. Houli and McIntosh. Consistency from griffiths. The emergence of the kids like Ellis. The continued development of Rioli and Marko. And of course the regular brigade of Jack, Dusty, Cotch, Rance etc.

We are at best a 16 win side - but similar to this year at worst.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
i would not give our two first away even for fyfe,6-7 years left compared to 15-28 odd years of two quality kids, i reckon west coast won the judd deal by quite a margin at this stage,just kennedy alone 10-12 years of a high quality key position who kicks tons of goals against 5-6 champion midfield years is way better without factoring masten etc .

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
jokershoppe said:
i would not give our two first away even for fyfe,6-7 years left compared to 15-28 odd years of two quality kids, i reckon west coast won the judd deal by quite a margin at this stage,just kennedy alone 10-12 years of a high quality key position who kicks tons of goals against 5-6 champion midfield years is way better without factoring masten etc .

You're right; fully agree. Keep and employ these picks, absolutely, for a strong future.

Also Wet Toast have got much closer to a flag than the Bloos, and still might snag one with Kennedy a key plank. Goals win matches.