Training For 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training For 2023

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
whats the go with Brown? Didn't he have surgery a month ago? Whats the setback?

Thought the same thing on Brown , still wearing a shield on wrist but has been doing a lot of training with the main group despite sitting out the really contested drills but thought he would be close.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Ch 7 news just showed us standing and doing something spiritual. WTF.

Looked like the Cows power stance a bit.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Another victim of our *smile* rehab staff. Back in training too early and it's not healed.
Prestia must've injured himself walking down the race.
He has done nothing since the shoulder injury or Tarranto and Hopper have cancelled out his influence

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
Thought the same thing on Brown , still wearing a shield on wrist but has been doing a lot of training with the main group despite sitting out the really contested drills but thought he would be close.
Don’t think he had surgery originally. I think even up til last week the club was saying he was 1-2 weeks away?

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Don’t think he had surgery originally. I think even up til last week the club was saying he was 1-2 weeks away?
You are correct @checkside original report just had Brown as a minor fracture which I assume would be just time for the fracture to naturally heal? My question is he met the surgeon yesterday but today Tuesday was the strongest he has trained so what is the complication? (@The Big Richo any ideas?)

Tom Brown, wrist (ORIGINAL INJURY REPORT ON MARCH 8)

"Tom's got a minor fracture in his wrist. He's going to participate in non-contact football skills. He's probably four to six weeks away from being able to have some contact. We'll keep him nice and fit between now and then and he'll be ready to go then."

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
You are correct @checkside original report just had Brown as a minor fracture which I assume would be just time for the fracture to naturally heal? My question is he met the surgeon yesterday but today Tuesday was the strongest he has trained so what is the complication? (@The Big Richo any ideas?)

"Tom's got a minor fracture in his wrist. He's going to participate in non-contact football skills. He's probably four to six weeks away from being able to have some contact. We'll keep him nice and fit between now and then and he'll be ready to go then."
Interesting. So if you include Lynch and Graham with their respective foot issues at the end of last season, that’s the third player we’ve let take time to help heal their injury, it hasn’t worked, and they’ve ended up going in for surgery anyway. I have 0 medical knowledge and I’ve heard that surgery is the last resort, but still… Lynch and Graham could’ve had almost full pre seasons and Brown would probably be back playing now if they got them in for surgery straight away

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014

Anyone had a wrist fracture? Me too, a crack not a full break through, in plaster for 6 weeks then it feels so damn weak! Had to be in a sling and wrist support for another 2 weeks. Hard to play AFL in under 2 - 3 months imo.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

There's a lot of options with wrists but I'm guessing the most likely here is a scaphoid fracture, which is a little bone below the base of your thumb that connects to the wrist joint.

If it is not displaced then a cast is all that is required, the big clue would be if he has been wearing a guard that protects the thumb and limits the movement of it. Scaphoids are often presented as being a 'sore thumb'.

If it was not displaced and the cast has been effective then he was likely meeting the surgeon yesterday to monitor the success of the treatment.

He'd be in a cast for 4-6, and 6-8 weeks before really getting going normally in terms of strength and full function, but it could be as long as 12 before you can play a contact sport. Sounds like he is getting close to the 6-8 range so you should see him start to gradually ramp up contact if all is going well.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Anyone had a wrist fracture? Me too, a crack not a full break through, in plaster for 6 weeks then it feels so damn weak! Had to be in a sling and wrist support for another 2 weeks. Hard to play AFL in under 2 - 3 months imo.
Maybe a scaphoid?

I had one years ago and it took ages to heal.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Blood supply to bones in the wrist is very limited which accounts for the long healing time

Reactions: 1 users