Training | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
All this talk up on Buddy training the house down and returning to 2020 as the superhero messiah mega-star and then....oops.....

Time to retire Buddy boy.
It's a long way back from 10 weeks off with knee surgery.
Can't see him fulfilling the last year (or maybe 2) of his contract.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
It's a long way back from 10 weeks off with knee surgery.
Can't see him fulfilling the last year (or maybe 2) of his contract.

I'm surprised he's made it this far given he relies on athleticism as his star quality. Is the sole remaining player from his draft year (following retirements of Lids, Roughie, Lewis) and was never going to see out his ridiculous 10 year contract.

Reactions: 1 users

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
I'm surprised he's made it this far given he relies on athleticism as his star quality. Is the sole remaining player from his draft year (following retirements of Lids, Roughie, Lewis) and was never going to see out his ridiculous 10 year contract.
... and his 'lifestyle' is reputed to be far more interesting than that of Lids or Roughie.

So, good on him. He has obviously looked after his body extremely well to date.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Three seasons to go. Poor old Sydaknee will be bleeding to death with Buddy gimping around all this time. Perhaps with all their old geezers retiring out n a bunch of young snot noses not getting paid much just yet, they might just need Bud's mill a year to keep them legal on the cap minimum.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
I know its common now and a lot of players call it work, they are also covered by legal labor laws etc.

In saying that I know that's how professional athletes gain their income but I don't consider it work to play professionally a sport 99.9% of the players have loved since being a little one to now be at such a level they get paid above average wages for. I consider it a privilege their life long dream is a reality.

I understand their time in footy is different to Golf etc as their footy careers are much shorter, in saying that when they get to retirement age their are many players that go on to have successful careers afterwards.

Maybe im being pedantic but every time i hear them refer to it as work (Cotch does it all the time) i cringe.
Interesting issue this one. So your definition of 'work' is something that needs to be a grind, that you have to force yourself to go to every day and not be too enjoyable? Hmm for some it may be but not for everyone. Certainly some may be thrilled to go to work every day early in their career and then it may become a chore after 20+ years but if someone finds it a grind right from the start then they may be in the wrong job! Heard the saying "Find your passion and you'll never have to work a day in your life". I did and if footballers can do that then great. After all they are entertainers earning a living showing their skills like professional musicians, comedians, etc. I'm sure they will tell you they are working pretty hard also. And how many jobs require you to put your personal safety at risk to be able to keep earning your living? Police, Army, etc. and AFL. I'm glad the culture at RFC allows them to enjoy coming to work and training hard to be the best they can be.

Last edited:

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Interesting issue this one. So your definition of 'work' is something that needs to be a grind, that you have to force yourself to go to every day and not be too enjoyable? Hmm for some it may be but not for everyone. Certainly some may be thrilled to go to work every day early in their career and then it may become a chore after 20+ years but if someone finds it a grind right from the start then they may be in the wrong job! Heard the saying "Find your passion and you'll never have to work a day in your life". I did and if footballers can do that then great. After all they are entertainers earning a living showing their skills like professional musicians, comedians, etc. I'm sure they will tell you they are working pretty hard also. And how many jobs require you to put your personal safety at risk to be able to keep earning your living? Police, Army, etc. and AFL. I'm glad the culture at RFC allows them to enjoy coming to work and training hard to be the best they can be.
Agreed if any whinger Carps about working , he’s in the wrong job

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
This might be the first time Buddy goes under the knife due to a sustained 6 week injury.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
All this talk up on Buddy training the house down and returning to 2020 as the superhero messiah mega-star and then....oops.....

Time to retire Buddy boy.

How many players from the 2004 draft still running around now?

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Can also be at the wrong company/Club also. I did a sheetmetal apprenticeship which was basically 4 & a half yrs of sweeping floors & cleaning up after everyone else twice a day (which the other blokes would just trash the joint kowing they were never going to held to account over such lazyness) & spending the rest of the day cutting insulation which overall was about as boring as it gets, add to that the company had a very poor culture. i was there far too long & only getting minimum wage once qualified anyway so i left, i now have a job where no qualifications are req'd & earn a much higher wage (which wouldn't be hard).
Equate that to a player at a Club with a poor culture & no amount of $ will make them be able to enjoy going to work every day so i can understand where they are coming from.

Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
None. Just the Budwa
Thats an unbelievable achievement to be not only still playing 15 years later but to be the only player left from his draft and then at the size of the bloke. Amazing
196cm 105kgs 300 games 944 goals

He will most likely play another 40-50 games and kick another 100 goals

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Can also be at the wrong company/Club also. I did a sheetmetal apprenticeship which was basically 4 & a half yrs of sweeping floors & cleaning up after everyone else twice a day (which the other blokes would just trash the joint kowing they were never going to held to account over such lazyness) & spending the rest of the day cutting insulation which overall was about as boring as it gets, add to that the company had a very poor culture. i was there far too long & only getting minimum wage once qualified anyway so i left, i now have a job where no qualifications are req'd & earn a much higher wage (which wouldn't be hard).
Equate that to a player at a Club with a poor culture & no amount of $ will make them be able to enjoy going to work every day so i can understand where they are coming from.

On that basis it could be that young Gryan might be apprenticed to Clangerfield

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
was never going to see out his ridiculous 10 year contract.

And I think Sydney knew that. Has played 118 games now for Sydney. Huge cost but credit to Frankiln, he's played with stuffed shoulders for a lot of his time at Sydney. He's just an awesome talent. Anyone lesser couldn't have continued on their raw talent as Franklin has.