Tyrone Vickery | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tyrone Vickery

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
What should we do with young Tyrone?
I tend too agree with Harry,s Comments that he does look to Timid in the Ruck and to be frank he was pretty dissapointing on Friday Night.
Should we reshape his development into a Fwd who can shotgun in the Ruck if needed or
Keep his Development on track as a Ruckman first and foremost?

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
What should we do with young Tyrone?
I tend too agree with Harry,s Comments that he does look to Timid in the Ruck and to be frank he was pretty dissapointing on Friday Night.
Should we reshape his development into a Fwd who can shotgun in the Ruck if needed or
Keep his Development on track as a Ruckman first and foremost?

Personally I think it is way too early to make the call on him as a ruckman. I feel certain we drafted him to play this role and that is where our aim should lie.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Should we reshape his development into a Fwd

Damien said in his interview on radio last week that Ty isn't being earmarked as a key forward but he shows some forward potential.  If he's not in the forward plans, and not ready to ruck, what are the other likely options?  Coburg to develop or a different role in the seniors?

I agree with Streak on it being too early to call Capitano.

I'd like to think that as his body develops, Plasma will feel more comfortable around contests and it won't be so much of an issue. I hope that he is developed in the rucking role as this is where he will be of most value to the team. Perhaps a discussion for the future...

Tigers of Old said:
Depends a lot on how Simmonds goes rosy. If Troy falls over (likely) then I think Ty will play plenty of senior football this year whether he's ready or not.

Not sure about that ToO. I think you might find that Gus and Browne get the run over Vickers if they don't think TV is ready. Hardwick stirkes me as the kind of coach who will be prepared to wait for longer term gain.

People the kid hasnt even started his second season of AFL. Whats the rush. I wouldnt care if he has to spend the entire season at Coburg. We wont see the full worth of TV for at least another 2 years.

And FWIW he will be a ruckmen first with some pinch hitting up forward.

TV has only had one season in the system. Graham has had the benefit of an additional three seasons. TV needs time, that's all. He will be OK.....just needs a little time and some experience.

I didn't see Friday, but last year TV at times rucked with cleverness and ablity beyond his years. He is a natural ruckman and just needs time to develop into the role. Most rucks don't start playing decent footy until year 4 in the afl, if not later

Get a grip guys. TV was a top junior ruck and wiped the floor wth Natanui when they met.

He is our long term ruckman and has great skills, smarts and mobility for a big fella.

There is always a chance he might turn out into a Josh Fraser but once he puts on some more kilos and grows up he should be a much more than handy ruck with his height and athleticisim.

As part of his development he might also be useful up forward as he is a very good grab!

Vickery in the seniors in a forward pocket changing in the ruck.

The more AFL games he plays, the better he'll get.

He won't learn anything about AFL at Coburg. In fact, his development may well be tainted playing VFL on wet, muddy sub-AFL standard grounds and getting knocked about by sub-AFL standard players.

All the decent talls, Kreuzer, Fraser, Ottens, et al, all started early in the AFL and grew into their roles.

This is all about long term development.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
I didn't see Friday, but last year TV at times rucked with cleverness and ablity beyond his years. He is a natural ruckman and just needs time to develop into the role. Most rucks don't start playing decent footy until year 4 in the afl, if not later

Agree, supporters need to show some patience with this guy

I like him forward. Still too light to play ruck imo.

Cant remember the game last year but he took about 2 or 3 big marks and kicked a couple.

So it begins...

He was drafted as a ruckman and we need him as a ruckman. He's only entering his 2nd year and he won't hit top gear for another 5-6 years. He needs time and patience, Lade will help him a lot. He has more potential than most of our list (didn't you watch him last year?). He's a natural footballer and I remember one specific play where he weaved through the midfield like a rover.

Smoking Aces said:
People the kid hasnt even started his second season of AFL. Whats the rush. I wouldnt care if he has to spend the entire season at Coburg. We wont see the full worth of TV for at least another 2 years.

The problem is he was touted at one stage as the No.1 draft pick (my RSE). Look at Krueser a ruckman chosen at No.1 and played Ruck from the outset.
I agree with others on here DUD. (I hope I eat my words but I doubt it).

1 junior season after a Knee reco, 10+ games at AFL level in 1st season, a run around in a scratch match and we are wrighting of a 200 cm 19 year old ::)

Personally not sure what will be his best position, however he shows good talent in both areas so like all big 19 year olds give the kid time

Simmo and Gus will get the first stint as the teams ruckmen, barring injury.
No problem at all with High Def and the Big Ranga spending most of the year developing their bodies and their game at Coburg. If High Def strikes a patch of form or the two mature ruckmen run into injury or form probs then he'll get some senior game time. Plenty of time to get some match experience into him.

Smoking Aces said:

:fing32

Vickery will get his chances in 2010 because he is more versatile than Gus and Browne. If Polak is to play more as a KP forward then Tyrone can be used the way Polak, Pattison and Razor used to be......... across halfback line, relief ruckman and resting up forward.

Way too early to be writing him off. This time next year we will have a much better idea of his potential.