U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Tell me again why they didn't take the easy option of voting for Hilary, or the great white commo hope Crazy Bernie.
They did. Even as unpopular and divisive a figure as Hilary got three million more votes than your fascist hero.

Bernie's a commo. Righto. I think a more accurate description was the one putting him "just to the right of Malcolm Turnbull".

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I might not feel the struggle like some here do, but I understand it. I just totally disagree with the methods being used to deal with it (not that they are achieving anything except alienating about 50% of observers).

man (allegedly) passes counterfeit bill => man arrested and resists => man dies after rough treatment from cop => society goes apeshit

Do you not see how crime begets crime? Ask yourself again what initiated it. Then ask yourself whether the facts are clear. Then ask yourself if the reaction is justified. And if you answer yes, then you're right, we simply disagree.

I'm a Hendrix fan, he was singing "Why'd you burn your brother's house down?" in 1968...
Black man allegedly commits a crime, police try to arrest a black man, and over 8 minutes kill him despite his pleas, and the pleas of onlookers, who were probably scar the same thing would happen to them if they tried to intervene.
People protest that ANOTHER black American has been unjustly killed by a person in power. Protests turn violent. Many use the violence as an excuse to ignore the murder, to ignore the peaceful protests, and to somehow defend the terrible job Trump has done, picking the occasional decent statement while ignoring the rest that incite violence. Accusing those who think Trump is awful of being blinded by bias, while ignoring the fact that Trump turns every issue into a democrat bashing exercise. And they blame the media for peoples perception of Trump ignoring the trash that is Fox news, and the overwhelming evidence of his own words.

Reactions: 5 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
George Floyd happened a couple of week after Ahmaud Arbery was killed in a "citizens arrest", that was also caught on film. And these a couple of months after the police killed Breonna Taylor, who was shot 8 times by police after raiding the wrong apartment in an attempted drug bust.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
It's not as black and white as that. I'm just stating the WHO appears to have been compromised in its responsibilities due to its close relationship with China.

That Australia lost confidence in the WHO is abundantly clear. The government would regularly quote verbatim from the daily WHO announcements, but in the lead-up to the WHO belatedly declaring a pandemic, all of that ceased.
All I can say to you is that, at least to those who I know who work there, that the premise that the World Health Organisation is too close to China is almost laughable. The comment was given to me was that before all this they were told the WHO was too close to the US and under the influence of big Pharma.
A lot of people in the sector think they are too influenced by African countries. The Head of the WHO is an African.
Seems like they change allegiances like I change my socks

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Floyd died after a cop had his knee on his neck for 8 minutes. The other cop checked his pulse 6 minutes in - he had none. So the cop kept his brain starved of oxygen for another two minutes after being told he had no pulse.

But sure, he died of "pre-existing conditions"

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Floyd died after a cop had his knee on his neck for 8 minutes. The other cop checked his pulse 6 minutes in - he had none. So the cop kept his brain starved of oxygen for another two minutes after being told he had no pulse.

But sure, he died of "pre-existing conditions"

The autopsy said there was no evidence of asphyxiation. What else do you know?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I might not feel the struggle like some here do, but I understand it. I just totally disagree with the methods being used to deal with it (not that they are achieving anything except alienating about 50% of observers).

man (allegedly) passes counterfeit bill => man arrested and resists => man dies after rough treatment from cop => society goes apeshit

Do you not see how crime begets crime? Ask yourself again what initiated it. Then ask yourself whether the facts are clear. Then ask yourself if the reaction is justified. And if you answer yes, then you're right, we simply disagree.

I'm a Hendrix fan, he was singing "Why'd you burn your brother's house down?" in 1968...

I'll assume much like your knowledge of America, your understanding of techniques used by cops to subdue criminals is also probably from the same place, your warped mind rather than anywhere else.

I've done police training, when I lived in the UK I trained to be a voluntary police officer and there are plenty of options that do not include holding your knee on someones neck for 8 minutes. To say that this was "rough treatment" is naïve at best and complicit at worst. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Leaving cuffs unlocked is an easy way to subdue someone, the impact of pain and the way that it impacts can generally take the biggest of people down as they will continue to cut into wrists until subdued. I've had it done to me and I can tell you it hurts a lot and almost forcibly makes you go to your knees. Even if they are allowed to use knees (like they do in Minnesota) I highly doubt the training includes retaining that pressure for 8 minutes. The dangers of doing so can be fatal (and were in this instance). Hide behind the technicalities of what he finally died of, if you want to do that then cancer kills very few people and minor ailments kill a lot more as cancer patients technically die of many other things as the thing that finally killed them but it was the cancer that weakened them to that point much like the knee to the back of his neck. You are almost excusing the act by stating that he died because of other conditions regardless of what the cop did.

The other TV pictures (prior to George Floyd going to the cop car) suggest that he was not resisting, there isn't any TV images of when he was taking down so its hard to tell, but frankly this guy was not a murder suspect, he was being arrested for a petty crime. Even if he'd used a counterfeit note, how would they know if he was the counterfeiter or an unfortunate person using said currency that any of us could fall foul to.

I agree that looting is disgraceful but not all of this is looting, there are peaceful protests going on all around but you don't seem to realise what this is all about, its not even really about George Floyd anymore, that was the trigger moment, but ultimately years and years of inaction to try to bridge a racial divide is what it causing this, not only police treatment but economical and social divides.

Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
George Floyd happened a couple of week after Ahmaud Arbery was killed in a "citizens arrest", that was also caught on film. And these a couple of months after the police killed Breonna Taylor, who was shot 8 times by police after raiding the wrong apartment in an attempted drug bust.

It's a bit like hospitals, dozens of people die every year because they're given the wrong medication or the wrong dose or the doctor makes a mistake. The sheer numbers mean some cases don't go to script and there are errors and tragedies. You can only judge each case on its merits and try to eliminate patterns of process or behaviour that produce tragic results.

I haven't read anything about this case that points to racism on the part of the cop(s). Abuse of procedure - maybe. Cruel and inhuman treatment - looked like it. Manslaughter - maybe. Murder - perhaps. 18 years in the force... you'd think some red flags would've been raised before now if this guy was a problem. It will all come out in the wash.

Easy for us to say it shouldn't happen from the safety of a less violent society.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Black man allegedly commits a crime, police try to arrest a black man, and over 8 minutes kill him despite his pleas, and the pleas of onlookers, who were probably scar the same thing would happen to them if they tried to intervene.
People protest that ANOTHER black American has been unjustly killed by a person in power. Protests turn violent. Many use the violence as an excuse to ignore the murder, to ignore the peaceful protests, and to somehow defend the terrible job Trump has done, picking the occasional decent statement while ignoring the rest that incite violence. Accusing those who think Trump is awful of being blinded by bias, while ignoring the fact that Trump turns every issue into a democrat bashing exercise. And they blame the media for peoples perception of Trump ignoring the trash that is Fox news, and the overwhelming evidence of his own words.

YOU *smile* MADE IT ABOUT TRUMP!!!!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
What's the relevance? You are becoming a parody of the great leader himself - can't argue a point, throw a dead cat on the table.

You're the one claiming America was great until Trump. Stop planting bombs and running away.

Leftist policy isn't as universally popular as you lot appear to think.

Last edited:

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
18 years in the force... you'd think some red flags would've been raised before now if this guy was a problem.
Yeah, if only.

Bernie's policies were nothing even approaching communism.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
You're the one claiming America was great until Trump. Stop planting bombs and running away.

Leftist policy isn't as universally popular as you lot appear to think.

Planting bombs and running away? I have other things to do, unlike the guy who writes every second post on here and claims that Trump is a great leader.

America has been in decline for decades, as I've said before Trump is just accelerating the decay. The Declaration of Independence? Great. The constitution? Many problems, but a good first effort. Makes sense in its historical circumstances. The WH, the Congress, the Senate, an independent judicial system? Magnificent. Great conservative institutions.

But in truth American democracy has been a prisoner of Wall Street, lobbyists and the superpacs for thirty years. Its a failed experiment.

Your last line is nonsensical, but your grip on reality seems looser every post.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Yeah, if only.

- Warren Reyes was shot dead after he pointed a sawn-off shotgun at the police
- Ira Latrell Toles was shot in the abdomen during a struggle in which he tried to grab Chauvin’s gun
- Chauvin was placed on administrative leave after being one of several policemen present when another officer shot Leroy Martinez, who refused to drop his gun

Pardon me for siding with the officers on every count. Dangerous job.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Sorry, I said every second post is you but looking at this page its seven out of ten.

It's hard work defending Donald Trump

• Haha

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
If you lot have all the answers, why do you keep losing elections?

The proof is in the pudding, but you lot prefer to yell "Conspiracy!".

I haven't stood in any elections since I was vice-captain of Thor house in primary school

Good edit to remove that last line, it wasn't great.