U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

It's gonna be sweet on Inauguration Day. I wonder if Melania will bother to show up.

Reactions: 3 users
Last I heard the democrats were still a rough chance to win the senate, is it official that they have lost?

Why does Bernie need to be subtitled? Is he speaking a branch dialect?
There are countries in the world where English is not the first language. Who knows where that video came from (what channel)?
And even if it was in an English speaking country, consider this. Australia is a relatively unique country in the world in that it is geographically very large and the fact that is has had English-speaking settlement for only 230 odd years (i.e. lots of movement of people), so very few regional accents have developed in that time. People from Perth and Sydney live 4000 kms apart but have no discernible speech difference. That is a rare thing and it means Australian TV has very little need for subtitles.
I live in a country of 6 million people, geographically one-fifth the size of Victoria, with one official language (not English), and it's not uncommon to see people from one side of the country sub-titled on TV for the benefit of the people on the other side - 300 kms away. The language is the same. The accents are severe (I should know - what I've learned doesn't help me alot with my in-laws who live on the other side of the country). The language has developed over a much longer time than what Australia has had, time where people did not travel as much. As such the accents developed independently and are significantly more distinct from each other than what you experience in Australia. I would think that much of Europe and other older nations would be similar.

Reactions: 2 users
Last I heard the democrats were still a rough chance to win the senate, is it official that they have lost?

No. Runoff elections in Georgia the Dems have a shot at. I haven't looked at the other uncalled races.

1604660062255.png

Reactions: 1 user
A sitting president in a country that claims to be “the best democracy in the world” calling for voting to be stopped is undemocratic and completely inappropriate for a person in his position. People expect this because its Trump and many predicted this type of reaction. But it doesn’t mean he deserves to get away with it. He needs to be called out for it. Or at a minimum, allies of the USA should be calling for calm. There are a lot of people in this country nervous about this result.

And what about Hockey? I know he's not ambassador anymore, but it hasn't been that long. his comments were entirely inappropriate.
Too mch " calling out" going on in the world for anyone's good. Did the US call out us with our moronic turnover of PM s from 2011-2018?

Just checked the list of countries the US don't have extradition treaties with....
Plenty for Donald to choose from, especially some favourites of his..

Russia
North Korea
Saudi Arabia
Ukraine

My money's on North Korea.... imagine them 2 fat bastards cheating eachother at golf!
Might be the first recorded two holes in one stroke, after completing a round in 18 strokes.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Yep, also, Trump sent the good old boys to intimidate voters at polling stations. So people cast postal votes, and now when a lot of those votes come in supporting Biden he says that they're cheating. The postal chickens are coming home to roost Trump, and it's on your doing.
Evidence of good Ol boys? On the unrest, from eother side, is it happening in hundreds, thousands of cities and towns or are we making conclusions on a small number of pics we see on TV?

We have seen this from time to time over the last few years but what we are now seeing in full view is the real Donald Trump.
An unhinged person clearly with a Narcissistic personality disorder.
He is showing the world again why he was never fit to hold office.
The standing in the world of the US has diminished slowly over time but it has never been this low. Here is the “beacon of democracy” the country who lectures the world about democratic values being led by an unhinged lunatic who wants to trash the values that the country is supposed to hold.
I really feel for so many friends I have in the US right now

Thanks for the tip, a must watch.

If that was your son, you would be bursting with pride at having raised the sort of man that conducts himself in a manner of class, dignity and with the sense of the greater good before his own. It's absolutely inspirational.

The contrast to the sort of behaviour we see and have seen from Trump throughout the past 5 years is so stark that it more or less sums up everything that is broken in the world right now.
From what I have seen and read about McCain, he always seemed to do what he felt was best for his country, from his military service to his later political career. He put his country first.
With the overgrown oompah loompah, it has always been what has been best for himself ( and his family and cronies)

Reactions: 3 users
Evidence of good Ol boys? On the unrest, from eother side, is it happening in hundreds, thousands of cities and towns or are we making conclusions on a small number of pics we see on TV?
My comment was on Trump telling them to go to early polling stations, which is said to have intimidated people.

From what I have seen and read about McCain, he always seemed to do what he felt was best for his country, from his military service to his later political career. He put his country first.
Yes, from what I've read he was a good man. He had friends on both sides of politics, one being Joe Biden. Probably why Trump disliked him so much, Trump wouldn't even have a friend in the Republican Party.

That's not appearance to me, it's substance.

My dad used to say to me if you want to know what a man is really made of, watch him lose. Win with grace, lose with dignity. It's the absolute essence of being a good man in my eyes and I reckon those two blokes are at either end of the spectrum.
What I'm getting at is, Clarko punched holes in walls, potted umpires and abused journos on the way to four premierships. Do you think Hawthorn supporters gave a single sh!t?

It's fine not to approve of someone's style, but in the end it's far less important than results.

Trump has an abrasive style, but I bet he got plenty of votes from people who didn't approve of that style but valued what he could do.

Reactions: 1 user