U18 players to watch - 2013 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U18 players to watch - 2013

Chris salem,does have a lot of afl attributes,but he is a outside type,and do you really want a hunter,l would rather have the hunted.
I am sure salem will go on and have a decent career,but l would rather get a player, who get's his hands on the ball first ,and not a player who is chasing.

Matt crouch and lewis taylor are far better player's ,maybe not by foot,but they aren't that bad.

bengal-tiger said:
Chris salem,does have a lot of afl attributes,but he is a outside type,and do you really want a hunter,l would rather have the hunted.
I am sure salem will go on and have a decent career,but l would rather get a player, who get's his hands on the ball first ,and not a player who is chasing.

Matt crouch and lewis taylor are far better player's ,maybe not by foot,but they aren't that bad.

Fair point. But IMO hard-running outside receivers are every bit as important to team structure as inside winners. What's the point of winning the ball inside if there's no one to give it to in space?

We probably need a bit of both... An Adams type and a more outside type

The thing I like about Salem is he's a very hard at it footballer, despite being outside ATM... I think he has the scope to develop a strong inside game and be a genuine hybrid mid ala Pendlebury

Stylo said:
Fair point. But IMO hard-running outside receivers are every bit as important to team structure as inside winners. What's the point of winning the ball inside if there's no one to give it to in space?

We probably need a bit of both... An Adams type and a more outside type

The thing I like about Salem is he's a very hard at it footballer, despite being outside ATM... I think he has the scope to develop a strong inside game and be a genuine hybrid mid ala Pendlebury

If salem ends up at a strong team,he will probably end up a hb/wing,l have seen this boy play many times,and if their is a player he reminds me of,it would be houli.
The other player's l mentioned ,crouch and taylor,are not just inside player's,they are also well up the top of the rankings ,for outside receives.

The Houli comparison is an interesting one. Hard to argue with that though I do see him playing more forward of centre than HB.

Taylor would be a great pick too, his attributes are pretty much exactly what we lack. I just don't think he'll be on the board at our pick. He'll be going to Collingwood IMO - especially if Daisy leaves.

Crouch is great inside and certainly accumulates but his kicking does worry me.

bengal-tiger said:
If salem ends up at a strong team,he will probably end up a hb/wing,l have seen this boy play many times,and if their is a player he reminds me of,it would be houli.
The other player's l mentioned ,crouch and taylor,are not just inside player's,they are also well up the top of the rankings ,for outside receives.

Not sure how much you've seen Salem, but he hasn't played on the back flank all year, played every game for Brighton in the middle or at full-forward and played mostly on the wing for Vic Metro. He is well worth our first round pick :clap ~ can't see a comparison to Houli at all and I've seen him play 50 games +

MTiger said:
Not sure how much you've seen Salem, but he hasn't played on the back flank all year, played every game for Brighton in the middle or at full-forward and played mostly on the wing for Vic Metro. He is well worth our first round pick :clap ~ can't see a comparison to Houli at all and I've seen him play 50 games +

Not to mention he's dominated in his 5 games for Sandi, three BOG's and an impressive 5 tackles a game. He's also kicked some clutch goals and is seen as the go-to guy when the heat is on. For all the talk that he isn't an inside player, I beg to differ. Yes, he has been playing more outside but he's powerfully built and can bustle his way out of trouble. Despite a subdued u/18 carnival, he did put on a clinic against NSW and showed a fair bit against Vic Country.

My only reservation is whether he has the stamina to keep up with the elite mids of the competition, hopefully the combine will put those issues to bed.

Does anyone have any vision of some of Lennon/Salem?

I have seen only a little of Lennon who looks good but most likely will be gone by our pick if we hold onto it.

SCOOP said:
What do you think of Salems pace Chicago Bully?

He isn't a gazelle but he's got a decent burst of speed, the other positive aspect is he's strong in the hips and has some decent agility. The Chad Wingard comparisons aren't too far off the mark, he just needs to show more of a four quarter effort - hence the concerns about his gut running ability. If he can at least get up to Flossy's endurance level, something approaching the top 30-40%, then I reckon we've got something to work with.

mad_doggy911 said:
Does anyone have any vision of some of Lennon/Salem?

I have seen only a little of Lennon who looks good but most likely will be gone by our pick if we hold onto it.

There's not much vision online that I've found, did find this though - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JsPu3vNnt0 - the AIS/AFL Academy's match against the European Legion earlier in the year. All 4 quarters are up. Salem (12), Lennon (21), Taylor (2), Sheed (13), Boyd (30), Kelly (7), Hartung (3), Billings (10), Dumont (14), Hourigan (28), Tsitas (6) and Wilson (1) all feature, amongst others. Vision isn't the best but it gives some idea of what these kids are capable of and their playing styles

Good reading, and needed as I have seen exactly none of these boys play!

Is Aish related to Michael Aish the gun Sth Aussie who we were linked to all those years ago?

This Is Anfield said:

Is Aish related to Michael Aish the gun Sth Aussie who we were linked to all those years ago?

Michael is his uncle :)

This Is Anfield said:
Thanks.

Be nice to finally get an Aish across, doesn't seem likely though from reading this thread. :(

Nope, Aish is certain to go top 3, probably top 2

This Is Anfield said:

His dad is Andrew (Michaels brother) who was a very good SANFL player.

WA do have a habit of hiding their junior talent.

Juniors such as Ballantyne & Mayne mysteriously had injuries to escape the scrutiny of full AFL exposure.

Some junior WA goal-kickers to look at might be:

Rhys McAlister (Subiaco) ***
http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4523

Tyler Keitel (East Perth) **
http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4904

Dylan Nelson (Swan Districts)
http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4815

Michael Wood (Subiaco)

Richard Bourne (East Fremantle) ***

Samuel Garstone (Perth)
http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4415

Phantom said:
WA do have a habit of hiding their junior talent.

Juniors such as Ballantyne & Mayne mysteriously had injuries to escape the scrutiny of full AFL exposure.

With all due respect, Ballantyne was visible for a full year in the WAFL where he kicked 70+ goals (ala Medhurst).

Chris Mayne was drafted in 07, and played in the same Perth colts team as David Meyer, as well as some senior WAFL games post U18 champs. There was certainly chat about Chop getting drafted and was broad surprise at PFC that he lastest to 3rd round.

What do the watchers think of Apeness and his likely position in the draft? Would he be there at our second rounder? Third?

spook said:
What do the watchers think of Apeness and his likely position in the draft? Would he be there at our second rounder? Third?

I like this Apeness. Reads like the perfect foil for Chimpness.