Umpire Abuse | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire Abuse

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Find this a bit confusing.
First, what constitutes umpire abuse?
Does that mean a player cannot question a decision?
If the umpire decides that is abuse then a 50 metre penalty.
What is to stop any Tiger hating umpire, and there seems to be one or two, deciding he has been"abused" and awarding a 50 metre penalty.
Can an umpire call a player anything he likes and then not expect a reply?
eg., umpire.."that was a stupid thing to do you idiot." reply..What did you call me?
Umpire... abuse, so 50 meter penalty.
It seems to me, as one of the great unwashed, that players should not anymore talk in any way to the umpires.
What do you reckon.
One player, Charlie Cameron, said today that this rule will have a huge impact on the game more than the holding the ball rule.
Or words to that effect.

Waiting for a player to mutter “FFS” under his breath after a questionable decision and seeing what happens

Reactions: 5 users
This will take some humour out of the game.
Nafan Brown was hilarious with some of his commentary when playing.

Reactions: 1 users
I remember many, many years ago when I moved to senior footy from U17s, in one of my 1st games the umpire paid a free against me for something, I can't remember what & I said quite loudly "Aaahh you white idiot". (Umpires only wore white in those days) He immediately paid a 15 yard (it was before metres came in :D ) One of my (far more experienced) team mates said to me "next time just say, aaahh you idiot & you'll be able to tell them that you were calling yourself an idiot for giving away a free"
From that day on that's what I did & it worked ok for me, frustration vented, me happy, umpy none the wiser :))

Reactions: 2 users
Rugby Union has this sorted. Question an Ref, even an exasperated "why?" or "what?" and it's 10m. Only the Captain is allowed to talk to the Ref and that's only after asking and receiving permission to do so.

It works because it's just a part of the game. If you're new to Rugby having come from say Soccer, and in your first match you happen to yell "What was that for?" towards the Ref, it'll be a race to see whether the Ref can blow his whistle before your Captain runs over, grabs you by the collar and shouts "shut your *smile* mouth and NEVER talk to the Ref again" right in your face. It's a lesson you learn pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hockey has always had zero tolerance for umpire abuse - it’s very easy actually. If you ask what was that paid for, they will tell you, if you ask what the f…k that was paid for, your in trouble.

Normally, a warning first, yellow second and second yellow take a rest.

I like it and it is better than any other rule change / interpretation they have done recently.

This will take some humour out of the game.
Nafan Brown was hilarious with some of his commentary when playing.
Imagine if Richo was still playing.
I'm sure that free kick V Essendon / Mal Michael still upsets him. I know it does me.

Reactions: 3 users
The players are the same as us footy fans, they don't like new rules that seem to happen every year, and like us get frustrated.

I've got an idea, we have to help the players out................every time a player gets pinged for a stand rule infringement, the crowd should roar, SHocking decision umpire !!!!

Last edited:
Imagine if Richo was still playing.
I'm sure that free kick V Essendon / Mal Michael still upsets him. I know it does me.
Me too, Skulls
Under this new interpretation, Richo would cop fifty-metre penalties stretching the length of Punt Road when that free kick was paid against him!

I think they shouldn't talk to the umpires if they can't do it in the right way.

Bachar Houli copped a really questionable decision in a huge game and had a perfectly polite and reasonable conversation with the umpire about it. No-one would have an issue with that.

I think the reaction to this in general sums up why the game has a serious issue with the treatment of umpires. It's been an issue for a long time, you look at footage of Brain Taylor or Mark Jackson and wonder how a game ever stood for that but it is a sign of a culture that is still prevalent in the game to some degree.

Other sports wouldn't stand for it. If you look too long at an umpire in a game of cricket you lose half your match fee yet Dustin can tell the umpire to *smile* off on the biggest stage in footy and all that happens is everyone has a giggle about it.

One thing everyone can agree wholeheartedly on is we want the best standard of umpiring possible. To do that you need the widest possible field of candidates for the role, at all levels of the game, not people quitting because they are subjected to abuse. Changing the idea that umpire's a fair game to be used as verbal punching bags is a good start to that.
Well put BR

Reactions: 1 user
Rugby Union has this sorted. Question an Ref, even an exasperated "why?" or "what?" and it's 10m. Only the Captain is allowed to talk to the Ref and that's only after asking and receiving permission to do so.

It works because it's just a part of the game. If you're new to Rugby having come from say Soccer, and in your first match you happen to yell "What was that for?" towards the Ref, it'll be a race to see whether the Ref can blow his whistle before your Captain runs over, grabs you by the collar and shouts "shut your *smile* mouth and NEVER talk to the Ref again" right in your face. It's a lesson you learn pretty quickly.
Agree with this.
I like the opposite urban myth about the Union player in his first game of footy. On his first free kick against, he said to the umpire "Can you please tell me why you paid that free kick against me, sir?". The ump thought he was taking the p!ss and gave a 50.

Also I always thought that in theory, only the captain is allowed to talk to the umpire in footy, too.

sd hidiously dumb as the stand on the mark rule..what bloody idiot thought of this and what mornon approved it..ffs, we all understand you shouldnt touch or abyse an ump but this is pathetic

What about the abuse we cop from the umpires? We get bent over and right royally abused by those maggots every week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

I like it.
Berating an umpire is not a good look. Leave that to the crowd.
Is there any instance in the history of footy where an umpire has changed his or her mind due to a player meltdown?
Soccer is disgusting with the way they get in the referees face.

Reactions: 1 users
Hockey has always had zero tolerance for umpire abuse - it’s very easy actually. If you ask what was that paid for, they will tell you, if you ask what the f…k that was paid for, your in trouble.

Normally, a warning first, yellow second and second yellow take a rest.

I like it and it is better than any other rule change / interpretation they have done recently.
I've umpired a few games of hockey over time.

I remember one game where I paid a penalty corner for a deliberate "clearance" over the back line. The defender, rowdy all game, questioned me with some very colourful, loud and angry language, as to how it was deliberate. I replied, "Because, in my opinion, it was". The player then smiled, said fair enough, and there was no more agitation or rowdiness for the rest of the game.

Good umpiring, in any sport, is about communication, understanding the rules, and leaving the ego at the door. I'm pretty sure a few AFL umpires can't do this.

Reactions: 1 user