Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The umpires set the scene in the 1st 15 seconds of the game when Dusty got pushed in the back.........play on.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We were bad, I reckon the umps were worse. The swans were red hot, that was the game. Seriously the umps were beyond bad. The Nank mark not paid, the Parker dropped mark paid, emblematic. Free paid against Kamdyn for being knocked out, emblematic. Thats just a couple of emblematic examples in a relentless cavalcade. The umpiring has been generally bad this year, regardless of who benefits or if anyone benefits.

They were appalling, and they continue to be appalling week after week. It really is not good enough.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
what game were you watching? Last Q sure, got a few junk time charity frees. But they brutalised us in the third. Horrendous. We were having a decent crack but ump snuffed out every little bit of momentum. To be clear, we were convincingly outplayed, but geez they were bad.

The more I think about it, K-mac free against when he was knocked out just highlights the incompetence. That would be headlines in any other code of football. Head is sacrosanct? Yeah right. Free against apparently. hopeless.
I commented on round 2. Check the date. That was the game I was watching and commented on.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
anyone see the GC-Adelaide game? Ump payed a free to Adelaide for unrealistic attempt against Rankine. . Rankines leap was timed to absolute perfection, it was a thing of beauty, just that a big player in front of him in the queue got a fist on it. He actually went through the motion of marking the ball even though it never arrived. Bit like the old saying, 'the operation was a success, but the patient died'. Seriously the AFL need to have a serious look at this, it should only be paid if it is obvious the player never had a hope. Otherwise to discourage gun players going for marks is a travesty. Why does this have to be so hard?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
anyone see the GC-Adelaide game? Ump payed a free to Adelaide for unrealistic attempt against Rankine. . Rankines leap was timed to absolute perfection, it was a thing of beauty, just that a big player in front of him in the queue got a fist on it. He actually went through the motion of marking the ball even though it never arrived. Bit like the old saying, 'the operation was a success, but the patient died'. Seriously the AFL need to have a serious look at this, it should only be paid if it is obvious the player never had a hope. Otherwise to discourage gun players going for marks is a travesty. Why does this have to be so hard?
because they have NFI

Reactions: 1 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Was it Heeney who got tackled by Cotch from behind and he dropped the ball like a hot spud, free kick Sydney, didn’t have the ball (apparently). City end 2nd quarter. He kicked a goal from the non-free kick. They got another free kick like that in the last, southern stand PRE I reckon. Free kick on half time siren, did not see what it was for? Nank non-mark.

Whilst we were *smile* today and made to look very second rate by what looks like a good team that all their fruity tutties came up with the rule changes it was very hard to watch when the maggots were piling on as well. You were expecting the whistle to blow in their favour at every damn contest as Sintiger said elsewhere.
Sorta close - Lambert on Papley

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
They still have that mental glitch of calling a tackle from behind a push in the back. Umpiring will never improve.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
No excuses today we were miles off our best and comprehensively outplayed by the Swans.

That said the umpiring was diabolical. Nank took a clear mark in 3rd quarter ball knocked out of his hands green cheat calls play on Swans goal. 2nd quarter Heeney clearly drops a mark yet green cheat pays it and Heeney goals.

Just two examples and can’t give it anymore thought or I will deadset SPEW UP!!!

Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
They still have that mental glitch of calling a tackle from behind a push in the back. Umpiring will never improve.

Apart from when we are tackled from behind. The whole point of in the back, is if you force them forward (ie. puts excessive pressure on the back / ribs etc) then it should be paid. Heeney did that to a tee today but no free, accidentally fall across someones arse and its in the back. So inconsistent

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
No excuses today we were miles off our best and comprehensively outplayed by the Swans.

That said the umpiring was diabolical. Nank took a clear mark in 3rd quarter ball knocked out of his hands green cheat calls play on Swans goal. 2nd quarter Heeney clearly drops a mark yet green cheat pays it and Heeney goals.

Just two examples and can’t give it anymore thought or I will deadset SPEW UP!!!
We might've not played well, but some free kicks Sydney got under 12's comps don't pay.
I lost count how many Times they scored from the influence from the umpires.
I had really *smile* seats in the bottom level, but every time Sydney were kicking to the ponsfold stand end, they just kept on getting free kicks.
The free kick right on half time bent us over,
The mark not paid to Nakas was horrific and the worse one was Flappers gets hitting in the face and the umpire right there, called play on for Sydney to go inside 50.
The centre bouncing was absolute garbage.
But Sydney did play well.
We are a rich club, we should really consider building a real Richmond academy.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Apart from when we are tackled from behind. The whole point of in the back, is if you force them forward (ie. puts excessive pressure on the back / ribs etc) then it should be paid. Heeney did that to a tee today but no free, accidentally fall across someones arse and its in the back. So inconsistent
How about McCartin coming in late on lynch and then falling straight into his back.
No 50, lynch misses the shot.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
You always know when the free was a joke when they refuse to play it on the screen at the game like the one at half time and the Kmac one.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

Would love to know the result of the review of the umpires performance today. As you said, the Swans were too good, but the umpires were too bad.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Watch for the Richmond bloke at the end.... seems to be enjoying himself amongst the great unwashed:)

I am not one to condone such behaviour . . . but . . . maybe the AFL should stop rewarding the teams which have feral supporters.

Yep, Collingwood supporters can be pretty feral about the umpiring, but given the way they get away with throwing the ball and seem to be about +100 free kicks every year, why would the supporters stop being feral?

West Coast supporters can be pretty willing at times and look at their free kick advantage in Perth.

For all the criticism of supporters bagging the umpires it doesn't seem to do their teams any harm, quite the opposite.

DS

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
I am not one to condone such behaviour . . . but . . . maybe the AFL should stop rewarding the teams which have feral supporters.

Yep, Collingwood supporters can be pretty feral about the umpiring, but given the way they get away with throwing the ball and seem to be about +100 free kicks every year, why would the supporters stop being feral?

West Coast supporters can be pretty willing at times and look at their free kick advantage in Perth.

For all the criticism of supporters bagging the umpires it doesn't seem to do their teams any harm, quite the opposite.

DS
the security guard practising social distancing lol