Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Mince - not questioning the grading as careless? Basically saying its been graded as careless so it is careless? Why not question the grading you nonce? Stewart said he made the choice to run past the ball and bump. Surely that indicates intention?

Reactions: 5 users
This

This times a million.

Happens every week. Our forwards seem to be particularly targetted in being kept out of the marking contest illegally by their opponents, but it happens in all games, it happens to all teams and it is an absolute travesty. I saw a classic when we were playing Melbourne. May was holding Lynch back from getting to a marking contest in front of goal, this was literally a couple of metres in front of me. Not only that, but May was holding Lynch clear of the pack, at least a metre or two away so it was in clear sight. Plus, it was very obvious what May was doing, he wasn't facing the pack about to go for the mark, he was facing away from the pack, towards Lynch, and literally pushing and holding Lynch away from the marking contest. But, nothing from the umps. Unless you grab the jumper you get away with this and it is a blight on the game. It probably explains why Hawkins constantly pushes other players in the back, after so many years he would be just sick of being held without possession. The other rule here would be shepherding when the ball is not within 5m, that is an illegal shepherd but it happens all the time.

Yet again we played against angels this week, angels who only conceded 13 free kicks in a whole game, a hard fought game with 2 teams performing at a high level. Geelong should get a medal for being so scrupulous in abiding by the rules, it is an astounding performance they could be proud of. In spite of the fact they ironed out one player and gouged the eyes of another they still only conceded 13 free kicks, what bunch of angels.

DS
I totally agree freekick don't need to/shouldn't be even. However in an absolute scrap, fast paced, pressure packed game like that, that discrepancy can't be right!

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe they are screening callers? Surely someone is going to question the grading?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Mince - not questioning the grading as careless? Basically saying its been graded as careless so it is careless? Why not question the grading you nonce? Stewart said he made the choice to run past the ball and bump. Surely that indicates intention?
He always goes on about incorrect gradings but clearly in this case being Tom Stewart, good bloke, Geelong, Mince is a Geelong fan ….yadda yadda yadda…..he’s not quite so interested.

This is one of many things that *smile* me about Mince Whateley: he’s a sanctimonious, virtue signalling soccer dad - but only when it suits him.

Reactions: 10 users
Whoever these umpires are they all need to be sacked.

Where is the duty of care. Where is the free, 50, and report, for a clear cut case of a player sniping an unprotected player.

Which one has money on the game?
I thought that’s one of the reasons we have three umpires - so they can pick up behind the scene incidents. Doing a great job umpires. And the farce continues.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Anybody asked Dion Prestia, does he think Tom Stewart is a good bloke?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I felt sorry for the umps on the weekend. They just generally look bereft of confidence. Its not their fault they are poorly resourced, have no leadership, and have to adjudicate half-baked rules everyone hates and create more problems than they solve.

I was watching the adjudication of the stand and the protected area rules on the weekend, the umps are on a hiding to nothing. Its just not possible to adjudicate them clearly and consistently and keep the game flowing at the same time. Which means they are inevitably a dogs breakfast and cause frustration.

The absolutely vein exploding miss of an out of bounds ball in the Pord Adelayde v Suns game with a couple of minutes to go is another example of what is wrong with AFL umpiring. In a two point loss with less than two minutes to go this blaringly incorrect non-decision affected the outcome. The Pord player actually drop kicked the ball with his right foot while his left foot is clearly already over the boundary line. And look where the freaking maggot is! Play on!

There is no excuse for this. And yet it is the kind of rancid tripe that the AFL dishes up week after week without correction and expects the public to swallow with a smile.
An AFL umpire can measure the intent of a player kicking the ball out of the air and award a free for insufficient intent to keep the ball in play but cannot see a ball that clearly leaves the same field of play.

Let's not hold umpires to account. Let's introduce a penalty rule for dissent in case a player correctly calls us out for our ineptitude or corruption and it gets caught on the broadcast mics.

View attachment 15793
“Common sense”, play on

So no word why the game continued on for 3 minutes when Prestia was down , and game stopped from kick out when Baker went down those 3 umpires had no duty of care.

• Angry
Sue the pricks
Afl doesn't wants umpires under scrutiny there a protected species not made accountable you see in world football soccer referees don't escape criticism and coaches have free speech not like under this dictatorship.

He always goes on about incorrect gradings but clearly in this case being Tom Stewart, good bloke, Geelong, Mince is a Geelong fan ….yadda yadda yadda…..he’s not quite so interested.

This is one of many things that *smile* me about Mince Whateley: he’s a sanctimonious, virtue signalling soccer dad - but only when it suits him.
This Cartoon love of his is making me vomit.

What about the Clarke goal in the last quarter?
Marking contest - Lynch get clothes lined too high by de konning - play on
Kolojazni picks up ball, takes on Jack, Jack tackles, Kolojazni drops the ball - play on
Clarke picks up the ball and snaps the goal
The ump standing 10 meters away - see's nothing. I saw both from the other end of the ground.
It's either pure incompetence or pure cheating.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
What about the Clarke goal in the last quarter?
Marking contest - Lynch get clothes lined too high by de konning - play on
Kolojazni picks up ball, takes on Jack, Jack tackles, Kolojazni drops the ball - play on
Clarke picks up the ball and snaps the goal
The ump standing 10 meters away - see's nothing. I saw both from the other end of the ground.
It's either pure incompetence or pure cheating.
That was unbelievable!!! Two clear free kicks to us in the space of 10 seconds not paid. Staggering.

Thankfully Clarke was still able to kick the goal.

As many have mentioned it's not only the free kicks the opposition get above what we get; it is moreso the obvious ones that don't get paid to us. Two in 10 seconds right there in tha example.

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users
Apparently (I haven't seen it) the AFL are running a survey of fans asking why they are not attending the footy. I believe that there is not an option to choose the rules or umpiring as a reason. Got me thinking, maybe we should show them!
What about a fan boycott of an upcoming game whereby it is made crystal clear that it is the rules and the umpiring that is the main reason.

Perhaps the North v Tigers game at Marvel or Tigers v Brisbane game at the "G" would have more obvious impact.
I realise that we all love going to the game but just maybe some action like this might get some traction.
Interested in PREnders thoughts on this.
Incorrect. I got the AFL survey and was blunt about my lack of viewing was due to the changes in rules and umpiring.

• Love
Yeah they were doozies Harry. There were a few brilliant tackles in big moments we did that were HTB and not paid. Drives me mad. The HTB raffle is another blight on the game. Too many rules with too much subjectivity, and poorly adjudicated even allowing for that.

Reactions: 1 user
Apparently (I haven't seen it) the AFL are running a survey of fans asking why they are not attending the footy. I believe that there is not an option to choose the rules or umpiring as a reason. Got me thinking, maybe we should show them!
What about a fan boycott of an upcoming game whereby it is made crystal clear that it is the rules and the umpiring that is the main reason.

Perhaps the North v Tigers game at Marvel or Tigers v Brisbane game at the "G" would have more obvious impact.
I realise that we all love going to the game but just maybe some action like this might get some traction.
Interested in PREnders thoughts on this.
I'll definitely boycott the St Kilda - Freo game in round 17.
I suspect a few might.