Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Baker. Couldn’t get a free for not one, but two head highs on him with about 2 mins to go in the 3rd quarter. The second head high even caused Gary Lyon to say watching the replay “That’s quite unbelievable he didn’t get a free for that.”

Baker even had to get the doctor out after the second one. But of course it’s Richmond so it has to be “Play on !”

And the umpires were pretty quick to stop play when the doc came out for Bakes. I imagine they knew they'd be copping some heat for not doing so after the Prestia incident and didn't want a repeat of it.

Reactions: 4 users
And the umpires were pretty quick to stop play when the doc came out for Bakes. I imagine they knew they'd be copping some heat for not doing so after the Prestia incident and didn't want a repeat of it.
Oh the irony. No free kick for Bakes either after that head shot 25m out dead in front of goals.

We got royally *smile* dozens of ways last night. To nearly win was remarkable.

• Angry
Reactions: 10 users
Baker. Couldn’t get a free for not one, but two head highs on him with about 2 mins to go in the 3rd quarter. The second head high even caused Gary Lyon to say watching the replay “That’s quite unbelievable he didn’t get a free for that.”

Baker even had to get the doctor out after the second one. But of course it’s Richmond so it has to be “Play on !”

Yep, some criticise Richmond for being undisciplined or not having the correct tackling technique and cite that as a reason why we give away so many free kicks.

But when it is the other way around, undisciplined and bad technique in a tackle on one of our players who nearly gets their head ripped off . . . no free kick and no comment on that. Can't criticise the infallible umpires or the wonderful AFL, they're perfect!

This is why we have such a bad free kick differential, you can rip a Richmond player's head off, you can hold them out of a marking contest, you can grab them when the Richmond player doesn't have the ball, you can be tackled after prior opportunity and just hold the ball in or simply drop it - we don't get the free and apparently this is not worth commenting on.

DS

• Angry
Reactions: 13 users
There is something about losing games where you get reamed by umpires that turns me completely off footy media. I can barely read PRE after this one and Adelaide and Sydney just did my head in. Flags need some luck and so far this year we haven’t had much.

Imagine the deliberate oob against PA in the prelim didn’t get paid. We would just be talking about it like we are with these matches as maybe port played in a gf.
I hear and see media more because I want to hear and see justice to our club. Commentators probably have some clause to not criticise flogs but when they see the bleeding obvious and make comment you can see it's not us supporters being biased.

Reactions: 3 users
Yep. De Koening was no chance of stopping Lynch, so he blocked, scragged and held him all night.

And why wouldn't you? When you know the umpires won't penalise it

How many high hits did Lynch receive from De Koning that were not paid high. At least 2 from memory.

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users
The Sydney game was the worst by the umps in my memory.
Last night was pretty bad.
Last week was fair and should be the norm.
Free kicks do not need to even, but they should be consistently applied across all teams over a season.
TBR supported the umps decision to penalise D Rioli for the brush of elbows prior to a throw in vs Sydney which effectively signalled our defeat. That was indefensible then and has not been paid since.
The AFL is lost at the moment and anything less than 4 weeks for Stewart, 2 weeks for rough conduct with high contact tackle and an eye gouge for Cameron will just highlight the inconsistency applied across teams. Remember Marlion got done for a tackle and a bump which were lower grade that either of Cameron's actions.
Dimma smiled when discussing next time we meet. I can't wait.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Let's put the free kick situation to one side. There was a massive issue last night that can't be pushed under the carpet.

Not stopping the play when Prestia was seen to by trainers while he was clearly concussed is not excusable. Not so much that it gave them a numerical advantage which culminated in a goal. What about the safety of the *smile* player? The play was right in the vicinity and you have a player clearly concussed. What would have happened if the ball hit him or worse, players ran into him.

When we talk about player safety being paramount which club medical staff take seriously (except for Sydney). Umpires are also responsible for player safety on the field and what we saw last night is a disgrace of serious magnitude.

Reactions: 12 users
Reading above about Baker not getting a free for a high tackle - are we surprised? The fact that Graham got a free for being held has distracted away from there being NO free given for the Prestia hit. We coincidentally got a free kick at that time which was the just team outcome, so there’s that distraction. But when you dissect it, there was no free kick for the Prestia hit. Had the next bit of Graham/Selwood play unfolded differently we would not have had a free kick at all and Prestia would have been in the hands of the doctors with play going on.

No free.
No fifty.
No stop of play.

3 strikes = something smells rotten.

• Angry
Reactions: 8 users
Just did a quick exercise. Hardwick's Richmond has always given away free kicks - obviously his DNA. Even in 2010 and 2011 we gave away the most free kicks. However, what many of us agree- it's actually not about what is paid against us, it's the free kicks that are not paid to us.

Back before we won our recent flags, it didn't matter that we gave the most frees away - we got a lot of free kicks too.

For the 5 years leading up to the 2017 premiership - we average P5 in the 'Frees For' rankings. We got the most free kicks in two of those years. Remember when everyone felt sorry for us, missing finals, losing in the first round 3 years in a row? Well that included the umpires.

For the 5 years after the 2017, we have averaged P16 in the 'Frees For'. In 3 of those years the wooden spooners in P18. The only year that umpires felt a slither of empathy was after the devastating PF loss in 2018. i.e. They didn't completely hate us in 2019.

So for me its probably unconscious bias rather than corruption - but the umpires simply don't like us - and as a result they do not pay us the free kicks that they should.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
The absolutely vein exploding miss of an out of bounds ball in the Pord Adelayde v Suns game with a couple of minutes to go is another example of what is wrong with AFL umpiring. In a two point loss with less than two minutes to go this blaringly incorrect non-decision affected the outcome. The Pord player actually drop kicked the ball with his right foot while his left foot is clearly already over the boundary line. And look where the freaking maggot is! Play on!

There is no excuse for this. And yet it is the kind of rancid tripe that the AFL dishes up week after week without correction and expects the public to swallow with a smile.
An AFL umpire can measure the intent of a player kicking the ball out of the air and award a free for insufficient intent to keep the ball in play but cannot see a ball that clearly leaves the same field of play.

Let's not hold umpires to account. Let's introduce a penalty rule for dissent in case a player correctly calls us out for our ineptitude or corruption and it gets caught on the broadcast mics.

Screenshot 2022-06-26 203850.png

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 12 users
The absolutely vein exploding miss of an out of bounds ball in the Pord Adelayde v Suns game with a couple of minutes to go is another example of what is wrong with AFL umpiring. In a two point loss with less than two minutes to go this blaringly incorrect non-decision affected the outcome. The Pord player actually drop kicked the ball with his right foot while his left foot is clearly already over the boundary line. And look where the freaking maggot is! Play on!

There is no excuse for this. And yet it is the kind of rancid tripe that the AFL dishes up week after week without correction and expects the public to swallow with a smile.
An AFL umpire can measure the intent of a player kicking the ball out of the air and award a free for insufficient intent to keep the ball in play but cannot see a ball that clearly leaves the same field of play.

Let's not hold umpires to account. Let's introduce a penalty rule for dissent in case a player correctly calls us out for our ineptitude or corruption and it gets caught on the broadcast mics.

View attachment 15793
Boundary umpires not calling balls OOB when they're over the line is rampant.

Reactions: 2 users
A great many of the frees are against us are genuine ones so we shouldn't complain too much when other teams play to the umpires interpretations even though they change in every match. We have to learn to play that game if we want parity. The thing that boils my **ss is no team is adjudicated in the same way by the umps who at times, blatantly show their bias

View attachment 15793
Geezus *smile* me dead. Boundary maggot is in absolutely perfect position to adjudicate this one. There's a bloke who should never get another game if he hasn't called this as out of bounds n thrown it back in.

Reactions: 1 user
A great many of the frees are against us are genuine ones so we shouldn't complain too much when other teams play to the umpires interpretations even though they change in every match. We have to learn to play that game if we want parity. The thing that boils my **ss is no team is adjudicated in the same way by the umps who at times, blatantly show their bias
It's not the frees paid against us that drive us insane UK. It's the ones that aren't paid to us when we see exactly the same *smile* done to our players that we get penalised for that the opposition don't get paid against. Every team in the comp fudges n cheats the rules as much as they can get away with, seriously sucks that 17 teams can get away with twice as much fudging as we can. But in an 18 team competition I guess that 17 teams must be right a hell of a lot more than just the one outsider.

Geezus *smile* me dead. Boundary maggot is in absolutely perfect position to adjudicate this one. There's a bloke who should never get another game if he hasn't called this as out of bounds n thrown it back in.

So much for the excuse that the umpire was unsighted. The umpire is in perfect position and either did not see what is right in front of him, or did not call what he saw. Either way, incompetent, not good enough for a professional competition.

What a farce.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
I've witnessed some horrendous umpiring this year. The non free kick for the hit on Prestia was bad enough.....BUT the *smile* umpire who stood idly by watching from inches away as Cameron had his hands on Marlions neck & head and was pushing it into the turf, should immediately be sent packing, a disgrace to any umpire at any level.

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users

View attachment 15793
Parallax error :LOL:

Reactions: 1 user
Apparently (I haven't seen it) the AFL are running a survey of fans asking why they are not attending the footy. I believe that there is not an option to choose the rules or umpiring as a reason. Got me thinking, maybe we should show them!
What about a fan boycott of an upcoming game whereby it is made crystal clear that it is the rules and the umpiring that is the main reason.

Perhaps the North v Tigers game at Marvel or Tigers v Brisbane game at the "G" would have more obvious impact.
I realise that we all love going to the game but just maybe some action like this might get some traction.
Interested in PREnders thoughts on this.

Listening to mince to see if anyone mentions umpiring in our match. Mince obviously hasn't.

I've witnessed some horrendous umpiring this year. The non free kick for the hit on Prestia was bad enough.....BUT the *smile* umpire who stood idly by watching from inches away as Cameron had his hands on Marlions neck & head and was pushing it into the turf, should immediately be sent packing, a disgrace to any umpire at any level.
How was in not 50 when Cameron kept Shai in the headlock while he was got a bit of push and shove.......is that not delaying the game?

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users