Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

I’m convinced they just make this crap up on the run….. who is your reliable source Tom?

7NEWS Melbourne’s Tom Browne reported the AFL has ticked off the decision following a preliminary assessment of the review.

He also revealed review officials can take player reaction into account before proceeding to look at the evidence.

“The ARC reviewed all the camera angles and it’s viewed as a definitive behind, the correct call - in the AFL’s view - was made,” he said.

“I was told tonight from a reliable source that they do look at the player reaction as a guide and then look at the evidence.”
Another new secret rule just for us and just for this one game.

Reactions: 1 user
yeah he was, said it at the ground and confirmed on replay. Its only a small thing, still should have kicked it anyway, but with 5 more degrees that he should have had it would have been all but a sure thing.
At the time when they panned back I thought *smile* that’s a bulls hit angle from where he took the mark and if he misses we lose , gets it we win

Don't shoot
I heard today.
That a couple of years ago the umpires were invited to the club at the start of the year to go over the new rules l, interpretations etc
But with the umpires in the Room as senior person at the club, unleash he'll on them for close to 45 minutes.
Since that apprant day we have come last on free kicks

This is the image being used by the media to justify this decision

When you look at the umpire position, it's clear the ball is directly above him and possibly slightly past him at this stage.

At a minimum, there is nowhere near enough evidence to overturn this decision. But i guess, if an umpire is abotu t oaward a 50m penalty after the siren ala the Sydney game, and someon upstairs can just over rule, then it just seems it's one rule for us, and another for everyone else.
For mine, the costly aspect of this game was the lack of holding the ball decisions going our way in the first half while Eric Hipwood went literally untouchable at the other end.
Pretty amazing really. If there is other footage why would they not release it? Where is the transparency around the whole process the ARC umpire went through? What is the process that allows them to tick off the decision at 11.00pm last night?

Transparency and the AFL hey?

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users
Don't shoot
I heard today.
That a couple of years ago the umpires were invited to the club at the start of the year to go over the new rules l, interpretations etc
But with the umpires in the Room as senior person at the club, unleash he'll on them for close to 45 minutes.
Since that apprant day we have come last on free kicks
Who cares...it's supposed to be a professional sport.

Reactions: 2 users
There is no other footage, no super high resolution cameras we don't see. Whately debunked that a while ago. He's been anti-ARC for a long time now.

It is pretty funny, to me at least, that every time bewildering ARC incompetence happens an alleged expert commentator will say "maybe they are looking at footage we don't see?". Every time. It was Dunstall last night.

A) even the so-called experts don't know what the process is and how it works, and B) Why would they use secret footage? It flies in the face of everything the ARC is meant to do and why it exists.
Yeh, how is it possible we still have no answer to these questions?

Our own resident expert TBR also says there is other footage. But again, completely unsubstantiated.

They are not difficult questions, it's quite simple for the AFL to eliminate confusion in one simple press conference. The fact they don't only leads to questions about the whole proccess.

Reactions: 1 users

Our own resident expert TBR also says there is other footage. But again, completely unsubstanbtiated.

They are not difficult questions, it's quite simple for the AFL to eliminate confusion in one simple press conference. The fact they don't only leads to questions about the whole proccess.
Yeah it was deja vue all over again, Dunstall said 'maybe they have footage we don't see?' and Montanga responded 'I don't think so, and why would they do that?'

Montanga could get the chop after his performance, was scathing, incredulous at the ARC effort.

• Love
Ended up being a big square up in the free kick count, 18-22. Not sure what the discrepancy got to, but it was 6-14 at one stage.

The umps obviously got word that it was blatantly obvious to everyone that they were shafting us.

It's the free kicks that we don't get that annoys me.

Surely with ARC a simple computer model could be used to extend the posts up past the ball height in a replay.

If then any part of ball then passes through the extended post lines then it's a point.

ARC values speed of decision over accuracy. If they aren't going to go to the lengths needed to make sure they get it right then get rid of it.

Goal Umpire: "I called it a goal, but just want to check please"
Field Umpire: "Goal Umpire's call is a goal, just want to check if it went over the post"
ARC reviewer to umpires: "Video evidence is inconclusive, how did the players look?"
Goal Umpire: 'Well the full back looked angry but then again he always does. The player who kicked it looked pensive, almost wistful."
Field Umpire: "I disagree. I would describe his look as melancholic. He looked like he was thinking of his childhood. I thought I saw him sigh."
ARC reviewer: " Thanks for all that. Well, time's up, I guess I'll just overturn it then. Oh good, scones and tea are here!"
Field Umpire: "Ok then, all good"

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Goal Umpire: "I called it a goal, but just want to check please"
Field Umpire: "Goal Umpire's call is a goal, just want to check if it went over the post"
ARC reviewer to umpires: "Video evidence is inconclusive, how did the players look?"
Goal Umpire: 'Well the full back looked angry but then again he always does. The player who kicked it looked pensive, almost wistful."
Field Umpire: "I disagree. I would describe his look as melancholic. He looked like he was thinking of his childhood. I thought I saw him sigh."
ARC reviewer: " Thanks for all that. Well, time's up, I guess I'll just overturn it then. Oh good, scones and tea are here!"
Field Umpire: "Ok then, all good"
Ha ha, yeah I was joking with my bro, not that anyone laughed, [cue ARC deadpan voice] "from this footage we can clearly see that the Richmond player does not celebrate, decision on the scoreboard..."

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Our own resident expert TBR also says there is other footage. But again, completely unsubstantiated.

Oh yes, the AFL eliminates confusion by declaring they are never wrong.

We all believe them …right?

• Haha
Ha ha, yeah I was joking with my bro, not that anyone laughed, [cue ARC deadpan voice] "from this footage we can clearly see that the Richmond player does not celebrate, decision on the scoreboard..."
Amateur hour at its best. What a farce!!

I can't wait until there's a review to see whether a ball has been touched and the ARC operator says that it's inconclusive, but the player acted like he touched it.

And it's then emblazoned on the big screens, a behind, the player acted like he touched it.

• Haha