Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Jack goes alright compared to some other tall forwards below.
At least he's around the zero mark for 'frees for/frees against' with -9 the difference.
Buddy o_O Walker, Hawkins, Cameron, Daniher, Lynch will all end up, most with massive negative free kick splits.
Jack could get 9 more than against this year and get to a career 'frees for/ frees against' at a 0 plus/minus :)

View attachment 18322
It's unbelievable the frees Ben Brown gets. I wonder what it is that the umps see...

No, the umpire was right. Clearly you, and many on here, do not understand the rules. TBR will come along to explain why it was a free shortly.

I'm lucky, I don't have to read the slavish adulation of head office and the incompetent umpires they trot out each week.

DS

Jack goes alright compared to some other tall forwards below.
At least he's around the zero mark for 'frees for/frees against' with -9 the difference.
Buddy o_O Walker, Hawkins, Cameron, Daniher, Lynch will all end up, most with massive negative free kick splits.
Jack could get 9 more than against this year and get to a career 'frees for/ frees against' at a 0 plus/minus :)

View attachment 18322
Jack is not a beast like most of those other blokes, he doesn’t muscle and heave and isn’t as clumsy. He relies a lot on his leading and smarts, and in the old days his aerial work.
He should be well in the positive for ‘frees for’, as defenders have scragged and grabbed him his whole career.
That’s my belief and I’m sticking…

Reactions: 3 users
To a very small degree, they might miss one occasionally and Riewoldt much more than Lynch.

But if you do stuff like this you can't really complain if the umpire is reluctant to give you the benefit of the doubt when it comes to a push in the back.

Jack didnt say he was pushed in the back, he said he was pushed. He would have felt he was tunnelled, Carlisle didnt go for the ball and basically took his legs out from under him,.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with your second sentence. Balta, in particular gave away a shocking 50 before half time in a hissy fit which should have had him dragged for a very big please explain.

Disagree with your first. To me it’s the same argument that all those execs at Aussie post got big bonuses because you must incentivise by paying bonuses. We won’t worry about the financial performance of Aussie post. A bonus is a bonus.

There are now 4 umpires out there. Not one or 2 but 4. AFL umpires salaries ranged from $120k to $130k supposedly in 2022. So, we could be spending $big bucks just to umpire a single match. Across the competition that is, As we are paying 36 field umpires every week. And. They have other jobs as well. I think the pay is quite tasty for a part time job, albeit with the public scrutiny that comes with being an AFL umpire.

Pay should be considered relative to performance. If an umpire is a beauty, then pay the man/lady involved. If h/she is good enough maybe they can become full time. But we don’t dumb it down and pay everyone enough to be full time when the actual performance doesn’t justify it.
I see your point but if we agree that the majority of the 36 are not A Grade decision makers then we need to cull them which requires a bigger pool. My contention is that a professional pathway (both Admin and on field) may/will increase the pool with a better output. Current AFL thinking seems to be if it aint broken it does not need fixing. I think it is broken needs fixing and submit a strategy. Does it need fixing if so what are other strategies?

Reactions: 1 user
36 umpires over 23 rounds at $130,000 each is a total spend of $107,640,000 over the season. Add goal umpires plus reserve umpires plus boundary umps plus the VFL umps plus finals, it is a lot of dollars to budget for

• Wow
36 umpires over 23 rounds at $130,000 each is a total spend of $107,640,000 over the season. Add goal umpires plus reserve umpires plus boundary umps plus the VFL umps plus finals, it is a lot of dollars to budget for
There is something wrong with that maths.

That says they each earn $3 million a season !!!

4 umpires scares the living daylights out of me. You just know we're gonna cop it even worse.

I know of one umpire who’s officiated a lot of games. On between $250k and $300k a season depending on how many finals ect.
Same bloke also works full time in another job and earns $250k doing that.

There is something wrong with that maths.

That says they each earn $3 million a season !!!

DOH :bash

As TBR guessed I have given them the yearly pay each round.

I suppose we could start with that then deduct $10,000 for every incorrect decision. Some would have a carry over deficit to the next round :p

• Haha
DOH :bash

As TBR guessed I have given them the yearly pay each round.

I suppose we could start with that then deduct $10,000 for every incorrect decision. Some would have a carry over deficit to the next round :p

I will back you to be our new payroll manager at work please $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Haha
It's unbelievable the frees Ben Brown gets. I wonder what it is that the umps see...
My guess is on his 'game' - a slow lumbering big bloke who doesn't get too defenders taking marks or intercepting the play in front of him to cause interference.
He doesn't tackle so less likely to get frees against him for incorrect tackles like in the back or a too high tackle, and doesn't take part in the game as much as some of the others other than marking and taking shots at goal.

Franklin - 860 tackles, avg 15 disposals, 223 goal assists. Jack - 698 tackles, avg 12 disposals, 243 goal assists. Hawkins - 615 tackles, avg 12 disposals, 273 goal assists.
Ben Brown - 185 tackles, avg 10 disposals, 61 goal assists.

Jack is not a beast like most of those other blokes, he doesn’t muscle and heave and isn’t as clumsy. He relies a lot on his leading and smarts, and in the old days his aerial work.
He should be well in the positive for ‘frees for’, as defenders have scragged and grabbed him his whole career.
That’s my belief and I’m sticking…
I don't disagree, I think he should have a few more for scragging as well(y)