Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Just watching the Blues v Saints game. The umpiring is so diabolically skewed to favour Carlscum - it’s not funny. Now I’m no fan of the Saints, but they are being robbed. This AFL is turning to a crock of $hit, because the umpire discretion is such a big part of the game. Just my $0.05 worth.

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users
Could play that same video every week for the last 7 years. Worst throwing club in league. Get away with it. Good to see it called out. What will the bikie boss say?
Noticed Cripps get pinged a couple of times today, it was great. He didn’t like it.

Did the refuter have a comment on this? Has he ticked them off as ok?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Could play that same video every week for the last 7 years. Worst throwing club in league. Get away with it. Good to see it called out. What will the bikie boss say?
Noticed Cripps get pinged a couple of times today, it was great. He didn’t like it.

Great to see Cripps finally getting called for it majority of his handballs are throws

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

Absolutely damming.

An indictment on the AFL who purposely have been turning a blind eye to it.

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users
Get ready for the deafening silence.

Yep, exactly what I expect.

Gross incompetence from the umps and we've all seen it for years. The definition of a handball has not changed in decades but the umps can't see a throw. Now we have 4 of them and they are as incompetent as ever.

If they had cracked down on this years ago, and actually enforced the rules as written, we wouldn't have this problem.

If I want to watch people chucking in Australian Rules football then I would watch ancient VFA games, but it has never been a legal disposal in our game and needs to be called out and penalised.

DS

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users

The blokes on the show were very held back with what was happening.
It was as if Beveridge would punch them out

I'm surprised Kingy was so scared to call it out.
Treloar always throws the ball.
Libba & McCrae no better.
Cripps chucks the ball 5 times a game.
The umpires must stop it.
I fken hate it

Reactions: 11 users
Sad and pathetic thing about the throwing situation is that even when they highlight the blatant cheating, it's done as a joke. Match commentators aren't brave enough to call out what everyone can see during games.

Simple fix to the problem would be for the AFL to cancel the handball rule and just let everyone throw the ball, make the job a little bit easier for the four blind mice ( yeah I know it's supposed to be three, but we've got female umpires now n some idiot musta let them breed ).

Guaranteed fix to the problem, Gilligan will drill down on the umpires outraged over the issue and the umpires will rule of the week the Tigers to death tonight.

Reactions: 2 users

Yes good to see it called out. I agree Footscray are probably the worst, but its rife throughout the comp. Interesting Kings concluding comments suggesting Montanga could cop some heat for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Sad and pathetic thing about the throwing situation is that even when they highlight the blatant cheating, it's done as a joke. Match commentators aren't brave enough to call out what everyone can see during games.

Simple fix to the problem would be for the AFL to cancel the handball rule and just let everyone throw the ball, make the job a little bit easier for the four blind mice ( yeah I know it's supposed to be three, but we've got female umpires now n some idiot musta let them breed ).

Guaranteed fix to the problem, Gilligan will drill down on the umpires outraged over the issue and the umpires will rule of the week the Tigers to death tonight.

Agree with your first paragraph but certainly not the rest. We might as well start calling the game Grid Iron or Rugby if we allow throws. Handballing makes the game unique. The umps just need to start enforcing the rules properly.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Agree with your first paragraph but certainly not the rest. We might as well start calling the game Grid Iron or Rugby if we allow throws. Handballing makes the game unique. The umps just need to start enforcing the rules properly.
I agree with you, but I can also see TM’s point. They haven’t policed throwing properly for years. Why would they start doing it now? The AFL through their media mouthpieces will start to float this, they’ll do it under the guise of making things easier for the poor beleaguered umpires.

Yep it's amazing the difference in adjudication by umpires for certain clubs. The Bulldogs and Pies definitely get preferential treatment to other clubs. It's disgraceful. We get pinged by the umpires for everything we do and the commentators call out anything we do. Yet the commentators say nothing against Collingwood or the Bulldogs. Joey the first to break stride. Their throwing techniques give them a clear contested ball advantage which is just not right. If the AFL continues to ignore this situation it proves in my mind that they are complicent in the cheating.

Yes good to see it called out. I agree Footscray are probably the worst, but its rife throughout the comp. Interesting Kings concluding comments suggesting Montanga could cop some heat for it.
Bobble head and kingy Shat the bed when Montanga showed highlights.
"Can't be seen stepping on Footscary's toes'

Reactions: 1 user
Used to be called the Crow throw when Adelaide were first introduced to the competition. Slo mo cameras proved that the umpires couldn't adjudicate properly between a quick hand pass and a cheeky little throw, now things have now deteriorated so badly that most players regularly throw the ball and it's only the most blatantly obvious ones that sometimes get called.
As with so many things in regard to the way modern footy is played and worse, adjudicated it's now simply an irrelevant and pointless rule. Simplest thing is to get rid of it and make it easier on umpires, players, coaches and fans. Make it easier for all to understand and accept. This obviously won't happen and the AFLHQ in all it's wisdom and integrity will double down on the enforcement strategy for a week or three with Richmond being the chief recipient of the extra attention, then it will slowly fade into the grey miasma of cluttered obscurity once again., just as HQ prefers things to be.

Used to be called the Crow throw when Adelaide were first introduced to the competition. Slo mo cameras proved that the umpires couldn't adjudicate properly between a quick hand pass and a cheeky little throw, now things have now deteriorated so badly that most players regularly throw the ball and it's only the most blatantly obvious ones that sometimes get called.
As with so many things in regard to the way modern footy is played and worse, adjudicated it's now simply an irrelevant and pointless rule. Simplest thing is to get rid of it and make it easier on umpires, players, coaches and fans. Make it easier for all to understand and accept. This obviously won't happen and the AFLHQ in all it's wisdom and integrity will double down on the enforcement strategy for a week or three with Richmond being the chief recipient of the extra attention, then it will slowly fade into the grey miasma of cluttered obscurity once again., just as HQ prefers things to be.
When the crows first did it, there were only 2 umpires. Then a third one was introduced, with some of the reasonings was one of the umpires looked for behind the play incidents and to be on the opposite side of play, to look out for things like that..Didn’t work out that way. Solution? Introduce a fourth umpire to do that. How’s that working out decision makers?

• Haha