Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

The 50m penalty for the player not going quickly enough back to the 9m mark is another penalty that is applied completely discretionaly. I watcehd a number of players pretend not to know the rule to hold up play a little. In none of the instances I saw was a 50m penalty applied. I reckon I've see Shai done twice for it.

No consistency.

Reactions: 6 users
The 50m penalty for the player not going quickly enough back to the 9m mark is another penalty that is applied completely discretionaly. I watcehd a number of players pretend not to know the rule to hold up play a little. In none of the instances I saw was a 50m penalty applied. I reckon I've see Shai done twice for it.

No consistency.
It happened twice in the Carlton stkilda game. No 50

Reactions: 1 users
Generally good last night but the HTB against Floss was complete BS. If that was Danger he’d have all night to get rid of it. No doubt the refuters will refute…

Reactions: 1 users
Saw a farcical incident in the pies game today. Early in the first quarter there was a marking contest involvng three players. First the pies player pushed the essendon player in the back and then a second essendon player pushed the pies player in the back and took an easy mark. They really need to revert to the previous 'hands in the back' rule.

Reactions: 2 users
Saw a farcical incident in the pies game today. Early in the first quarter there was a marking contest involvng three players. First the pies player pushed the essendon player in the back and then a second essendon player pushed the pies player in the back and took an easy mark. They really need to revert to the previous 'hands in the back' rule.

Either that or just pay the push in the back rule, it's only been around for about 130 years, they might learn one day if we give them enough time.

To be honest, push in the back and holding the man were both more consistently adjudicated when we had 1 field umpire.

DS

Didn't really notice them Monday, and noticed a couple of barely there ones in our favour, so a tick.

Across the round thought I did again notice a lot of throws. While Footscray were probably the worst, it was across all sides and games. I personally would hate for it to become a Footscray thing and for them to be scapegoated, because its rife across the comp. The level of clear professional throws when the ump was blindsided and the player knew it, yesterday really stood out. I don't blame the umps for this, they are clearly executing unofficial policy from above. It has been so consistent for so long, with the occasional rein-in or soft crackdown, that I can't come to any other conclusion.

I'm mostly just getting used to it, but in the sense that its just another factor in my general disappointment with the way footy is going rather than accepting it.

What did drive me nuts though was a couple of times when there was an obvious throw and the commentator said 'great hands from Player X'. There was one in our game in the last Q when Oliver did his best Andrew Johns impersonation at a centre bounce and Darcy said 'great hands by Oliver '. And there was a similar one in the Anzac game yesterday. Its one thing to ignore it or briefly question it like 'ump OK with the HB' of 'gives a little flick' etc, but its another thing altogether to praise and encourage it.

Reactions: 4 users
Watching 360, just saw Brad Scott calling for a re-think on tackling rules and adjudication. You cannot make this *smile* up. What was your last job Brad? You were in charge, in a posi to fix it and did FA. Unbelievable.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Watching 360, just saw Brad Scott calling for a re-think on tackling rules and adjudication. You cannot make this *smile* up. What was your last job Brad? You were in charge, in a posi to fix it and did FA. Unbelievable.
Smart oppointment by Essendon.
Get a bloke that was incharge of the football dept come and coach your side.
It was free kicks heaven for Essendon pity the white knobs couldn't kick any goals for them in the last qtr.

Amazingly, despite Montagna highlighting it on Fox Footy, the outright incompetent umpiring of the Western Throwdogs on Friday night has also been brought up on Footy Classified.

Must have shown at least half a dozen examples of blatant throwing by the Throwdogs and the umpires of course, doing nothing about it. McGuire, Lloyd and Barrett were pissing themselves.

Insinuation was that several clubs had got into Barrett’s ear about raising it because like a lot of fans, they’re sick of seeing the Throwdogs get away with it.

Will the AFL actually do anything about all this throwing though ? Heh heh heh…. more chance of the Washington Generals beating the Harlem Globetrotters.

Reactions: 3 users
The AFL will crack down on everyone throwing it this weekend.

There will be a heap of them in the Friday night game, nothing surer.

It won’t be just the dogs who are hunted.

Reactions: 1 user
The AFL will crack down on everyone throwing it this weekend.

There will be a heap of them in the Friday night game, nothing surer.

It won’t be just the dogs who are hunted.
Yeah and then it’ll be as dead as a door nail 2 weeks later and normal throwing transmission will resume. Just as all these “crack downs” always are.

Reactions: 8 users
I note the refuter has not had his say on this. He is an endorser of the way the current definition is interpreted by the umpires. Would like to know his thoughts on the recently highlighted “throws”.

• Haha
We will go ok with the umpires in the next 6 mths.
They are shitting themselves Benny might become there new boss.
Have a look at the Anzac day game and see the turds look after there xBoss.
Essendon got free kicks for sneezing

I note the refuter has not had his say on this. He is an endorser of the way the current definition is interpreted by the umpires. Would like to know his thoughts on the recently highlighted “throws”.
The big ego has said on another thread that he’s quit this forum. Again.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Why so many free kicks (i50m) & 50m penalties to us last week?
An anomaly or a change in directive given the massive disparities we've seen the past several seasons?
it's been soo long since we had a game like that it was almost bizarre to watch.

Why so many free kicks (i50m) & 50m penalties to us last week?
An anomaly or a change in directive given the massive disparities we've seen the past several seasons?
it's been soo long since we had a game like that it was almost bizarre to watch.

Yeah i had serious cognitive dissonance.

Seemed too drastic to be random.

The memo might have gone out

richmond stopped. Stop. Can take foot off throat. Stop. GH