Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

No. 1 TOO MANY RULES. STUPID RULES.
stand/deliberate 50/time wasting rubbish can all just EFF OFF. Contribute ZERO to the game.

2. TOO MANY UMPIRES. Standard has clearly dropped since 4th ump.

Start there.

Reactions: 8 users
And how often did Essendon hand over on mthe mark last night and not get penalised. Or stand for a second or two and then back off? What a shitshow this rule has become.
Players moving their feet all the time now every game.

Reactions: 1 users
Anything they do is ticked off by the AFL, and no one is allowed to criticise them, so why shouldn’t they mess everything up and make it up as they go along?

A 360 degree spin in a tackle should be ample time to get rid of it. Pay holding the ball.

"Knocked out in the tackle" is incorrect disposal. Pay it FFS.

Another one i hate seeing is the player lying on top of the ball (or standing up in a tackle) holding it in one arm and punching it while looking at the umpire "look I can't get rid of it". That's not a genuine attempt. Neither is flopping around like a fish out of water. Pay HTB.

Start rewarding some of these tackles and it will not only reduce the chances of dangerous tackles but will speed up the game and reduce congestion. I hate seeing every player on the ground sitting in one quarter of the field. It's a joke.

Reactions: 7 users
Actually knocked out in the tackle is remarkably easy to adjudicate. If there is no prior, did the player attempt to dispose legally - bearing in mind they may not have had time to do so - if not, HTB. If the player has had prior then knocked out in a tackle is clearly not a legal disposal so it is clearly HTB. Actually the situation is even more clear when the player with the ball has had prior opportunity - I remember the AFL saying a few years back that taking on a tackler or trying to get through congestion before disposing of the ball is automatically prior opportunity, which seems reasonable, but they don't interpret it this way.

Just adjudicate the rules as written and get away from all this elaborate interpretation malarkey.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
Actually knocked out in the tackle is remarkably easy to adjudicate. If there is no prior, did the player attempt to dispose legally - bearing in mind they may not have had time to do so - if not, HTB. If the player has had prior then knocked out in a tackle is clearly not a legal disposal so it is clearly HTB. Actually the situation is even more clear when the player with the ball has had prior opportunity - I remember the AFL saying a few years back that taking on a tackler or trying to get through congestion before disposing of the ball is automatically prior opportunity, which seems reasonable, but they don't interpret it this way.

Just adjudicate the rules as written and get away from all this elaborate interpretation malarkey.

DS
But if they do that they can’t use the ‘common sense’ argument.

• Haha
But if they do that they can’t use the ‘common sense’ argument.
Never ever heard of common sense being in the rules of AFL footy or anything else for that matter. Nothing more than drivel for those that want to pretend something nebulous is valid.
There's a whole book of rules that the game is played by and common sense should only become a valid factor when the following factors become reality.
1 / All the umpires adjudicated the game by the rule book, equally all the time.
2 / All the players actually knew and understood all the rules they play the game by.
3 / Coaches and administrators ensured that everyone involved in the game knew and understood the rules and were properly informed of notifications sent out regarding the enforcement of the rules.
4 / The meedjia and fans had at least a half baked understanding of the rules of the game and refrained from gibbering about the non existent common sense or feel for the game.

If those four factors were properly implanted in the game then common sense would inform you that no common sense was required at all because knowledge of and adherence to the rules of the game would make the fuzzy wuzzy feel good common sense irrelevant.

Reactions: 2 users
Watching Melb v Saints. There was a clear throw by Petracca, the commentators almost accept it as part of the game. Darcy makes a comment in passing, saying it was a rubgy league pass, it results in a Melb goal and they basically move on.

Until there is a real push by commentators to call out throws there is unl,ikely to be a change. There must be at least 20-30 throws a game that are just let go.

Reactions: 3 users
Watching Melb v Saints. There was a clear throw by Petracca, the commentators almost accept it as part of the game. Darcy makes a comment in passing, saying it was a rubgy league pass, it results in a Melb goal and they basically move on.

Until there is a real push by commentators to call out throws there is unl,ikely to be a change. There must be at least 20-30 throws a game that are just let go.
Watched a WAFL game yesterday. Commentator very old school. Went on a very matter-of-fact rant on the need to crack down on throws. said 'our game is not rugby'. I liked it.

Reactions: 7 users

Many years ago there was meedjia outrage n hysterics over the Crow throw that lasted for a couple of seasons. then eventually it simply became an accepted part of the game, because every other club in the comp learnt to do it.
Same thing is happening now. Shoveling the ball out, rugby passes, the backward hand pass over the head. All throws rarely called by the umpires n little more than mumbled and laughed about by the meedjia.
Just more n more of the same *smile* that has me less n less interested in the game every season. Apart from watching a Tigers game, I've nil interest in watching any other game beyond a score check to see who's having a win.

Reactions: 1 user
Its not so much the current rule book, of which the 2023 version is the latest version they have on the umps web site, but the way they adjudicate which is fluid.

If you read the rules they are not that complex. For example - if no prior opportunity when tackled you must attempt to dispose of the ball legally but you can get away with disposing not legally if you make the attempt; if you have had prior opportunity you must dispose of the ball legally, an attempt is not sufficient. Now there is some interpretation here in terms of what is prior opportunity and what is an attempt to dispose of the ball legally, but it is way less complicated than they make it out to be and the massive inconsistencies in adjudication cannot be explained by the rules.

Holding the man is even easier. You can bump, you can push as long as it is not in the back. You cannot hold - this is easy to see, if you grab or put your arms around an opponent then that is holding - simples!

DS
I take your point with this.Maybe another problem has arisen with the amount of field umpires leaving some to not adjudicate during play for fear of erring,leaving it to one of the others ?Certainly that is the case with the goal umpiring these days.Review,upon review.

This is actually the most infuriating thing. They spend years screwing up the game with bulldust that does nothing to help the actual way it's played, but throwing, so deeply not a part of our game since day dot is just let happen. All for the sake of.... speed? DO NOT TELL ME they don't see these throws no fkn way just don't belive that.

Reactions: 4 users
Stayed up late to watch Man U last night and everytime I watch pomball the simplicity of it is stunning. If anything VAR has stuffed it up cos they struggle to get that right amazingly. But the final last night was perfectly reffed.

This is actually the most infuriating thing. They spend years screwing up the game with bulldust that does nothing to help the actual way it's played, but throwing, so deeply not a part of our game since day dot is just let happen. All for the sake of.... speed? DO NOT TELL ME they don't see these throws no fkn way just don't belive that.
Yeh, it's simply accepted. Move the ball on out of congestion. More chance for those "dusty" moments.

I take your point with this.Maybe another problem has arisen with the amount of field umpires leaving some to not adjudicate during play for fear of erring,leaving it to one of the others ?Certainly that is the case with the goal umpiring these days.Review,upon review.
Was a few times during the game there's three maggots hovering around the contest n none of them can see anything so the other prick 70 metres off the ball is calling free kicks FMD talk about pathetic. Then of course there's the raffle free kick where no maggot can see obvious free kick after free but then one will crumble before the indignant crowd howls but pay a completely insignificant and irrelevant infringement in favour of the side that's not been crucified, n thereby incensing the crowd even more.

Reactions: 1 user
If you’re ever uncertain what umpires shafted us, here are their shirt numbers.

If you’re ever uncertain what umpires shafted us, here are their shirt numbers.

Number 30 was executed after benefiting Richmond in 1 game.

• Haha
It doesn't matter what rule they bring in, the umpiring fraternity have no idea of the concept behind the rule and ballz up the interpretation. For that reason the less rules the better.

As an example, look at the sliding rule which was brough in to stop players sliding in legs first and breaking the legs of other players ala Adam Goodes who was a serial offender.

How do umpires interpret this rule? Well a player can be on his knees trying to get possession of the ball, and a person like, lets say....hmmmm Steve May will run in and fall over the player on the ground as he throws his arms about gesticulating to the umpire, and you guessed it, that constitutes a sliding rule decision.

That's how DUMB the people with the whistles are. I don't mind 4 umpires, so long as only 2 have a pea in their whistle!

See in the Hun this morning that it's not the Umpy's fault they're no good, it's the coaches creating all this congestion according to Dilligan. And yes, the Xspurts in suits at HQ are monitoring the problem and trying to invent fancy new rulings to pretend that through some unforeseen miracle the congestion will somehow simply disappear ( just like a peak hour traffic jam amazingly disappears at around midnight ).
Maybe one day those suits will somehow learn to add 2 plus 2 n come up with 4 instead of gibberish n gobbledygook. Time to strip the game back from the old part time 1880's knickerbockers n caps structures and rejig / reinvent the game to incorporate the 2020's levels of fitness and coaching tactics. Forty years of *smile* farting around and fiddling with different rules and manipulations has devolved the game to nothing more than a rolling maul and that all stems from HQ incompetence and utter lack of understanding as to what each insidious rule fiddle accumulates.