Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Ginnavan got a head high free, for the most obvious lower the body, raise the arm move he's ever done.

Reactions: 2 users
See in the Hun this morning that it's not the Umpy's fault they're no good, it's the coaches creating all this congestion according to Dilligan. And yes, the Xspurts in suits at HQ are monitoring the problem and trying to invent fancy new rulings to pretend that through some unforeseen miracle the congestion will somehow simply disappear ( just like a peak hour traffic jam amazingly disappears at around midnight ).
Maybe one day those suits will somehow learn to add 2 plus 2 n come up with 4 instead of gibberish n gobbledygook. Time to strip the game back from the old part time 1880's knickerbockers n caps structures and rejig / reinvent the game to incorporate the 2020's levels of fitness and coaching tactics. Forty years of *smile* farting around and fiddling with different rules and manipulations has devolved the game to nothing more than a rolling maul and that all stems from HQ incompetence and utter lack of understanding as to what each insidious rule fiddle accumulates.
Damn those coaches for *checks notes* trying to win games.

Have said this multiple times before, but every rule change brought in since 2008 has only made the situation worse.

Reactions: 4 users
The only way to fix this now is to introduce zones for live play and have an off-side rule. Could you imagine these morons trying to adjudicate that?

And how often did Essendon hand over on mthe mark last night and not get penalised. Or stand for a second or two and then back off? What a shitshow this rule has become.
Yeah, it was noticeable they often put their hands up as if they were on the mark then moved a couple of steps backwards.- the rule hasnt become a shitshow, it has been one from the start,

Can anyone actually clarify what line a player who takes a mark in their defensive half should take before they have moved off their line? Is it straight back towards the goal they are defending or lining up with their goal? or just straight? players with the ball seem to have a 10mt (or wider) span they can use before play on is called, and the player on the mark has to stand straight away so they have no idea where the player with the ball will end up.

Reactions: 1 users
The 9m rule. They called Essendon players back. But Cumberland was penalised immediately.
And then the *smile* stand rule.
Martin 55 out STAND STAND STAND STAND STAND but NO 50.
Once again we lose a close game where a 50 has contributed to the loss.
Carlton rnd 1 the Viking
And last night to Ridley.
It wasn't STAND STAND it was GET BACK GET BACK.

Reactions: 1 user
Ginnavan got a head high free, for the most obvious lower the body, raise the arm move he's ever done.
Yeh, he lifted his arm which lifted Zorko's arm up to his neck. One that he should not have got at all. And I cannot stand Zorko but that was crap.

They barely get anything right these clowns.

Yeah, it was noticeable they often put their hands up as if they were on the mark then moved a couple of steps backwards.- the rule hasnt become a shitshow, it has been one from the start,

Can anyone actually clarify what line a player who takes a mark in their defensive half should take before they have moved off their line? Is it straight back towards the goal they are defending or lining up with their goal? or just straight? players with the ball seem to have a 10mt (or wider) span they can use before play on is called, and the player on the mark has to stand straight away so they have no idea where the player with the ball will end up.
Nobody can clarify it. So 1. we are unclear on what the line actually is, it seems to a mix of the above. and 2. I disagree with you 10m span call, sometimes that happens for sure, but sometimes the ump seems to call play on if the makes a slight adjustment to their grip on the ball.

But in a new policy statement from the AFL, the grey areas in the rules are a fantastic part of our game, really make you want to go to the footy, so it is literally 'all good'.

From the weekend of Footy just gone that I watched:

• Dimma teed-off on the adjudication of the HTB rule in his presser with barely contained rage.
  • Voss concurred, and stated Carlton would be seeking clarification on some umpiring calls.
  • Brad Johnson did a presentation on a national broadcaster clearly showing that 50m penalties, which were often for a minimal and technical infringement (ie the stand rule), were often being given as 55, 60 and 65m penalties which was the difference between a shot at goal or an easier shot, and therefore influencing games, which was unacceptable and easy to fix. (he included the Ridley one)
  • The commentator for the WAFL East Perth v Subiaco game went on a long but measured and convincing rant for a crackdown on throws, in the WAFL and AFL, which was adversely impacting the game.

Reactions: 5 users
Why are other clubs and coaches questioning and criticising the umps while we stay silent? We're like some domestic violence victim not wanting to anger the abuser. *smile* the fines or any other ramifications. Grow some balls.

Reactions: 7 users
Why are other clubs and coaches questioning and criticising the umps while we stay silent? We're like some domestic violence victim not wanting to anger the abuser. *smile* the fines or any other ramifications. Grow some balls.

I have no doubt we are communicating behind the scenes.

Perversely, I think the Sullivan not giving the ball to the ump free call was good umpiring. Number 8 made the point on another thread, Sidebottom had done a very blatant time-wasting one previously, and I've noticed slow ball returns while team mates get into posi at a stoppage creeping in to the game.

This illustrates a big part of the problem. there is no objective, systematic analysis. Just half-cocked, headline-grabbing reactions. Outrage at what is a reasonable, defensible decision, but no discussion on horrendous rules like the stand rule, or throws.

To me thats good officiating. It can and does get used as a time wasting tactic, pure gamesmanship, and all players should know you give the ball to the ump. The only thing I will say is that the ump should give a warning on something technical like that. Thats what they do in NRL and RU, ref will say 'keep it up and you'll be penalised'. (Interestingly, you could see Daicos knew it was a free straight away).

Reactions: 3 users
I have no doubt we are communicating behind the scenes.
We have to do this behind the scenes, because if we say anything publicly we’ll be fined and have all and sundry say ‘look at that pack of whingers! The AFL gave them 3 flags and they’re still moaning!’

We have to do this behind the scenes, because if we say anything publicly we’ll be fined and have all and sundry say ‘look at that pack of whingers! The AFL gave them 3 flags and they’re still moaning!’
All and sundry can get *smile*

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Because Benny is going to an AFL paid job. No chance he is going to ruffle the feathers of his new employer.

Dimma must be pinching himself….from bottom of AFL Free kick ladder to top in 12 months, can criticise umpires with no consequences and unlimited academy picks! no wonder they call it the Gold Coast

Yep Dimmas Sun's sit on top with 115 free kick better diferential than us.