Umpires tonight | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpires tonight

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
If they had a ladder those 3 would be 14th,15th and 16th.Both coaches would be asking some questions.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
REd hot on holding the ball and 50's. Very odd display but we did get some good 'uns too.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
mb64 said:
Ordinary umpiring but both sides were affected.

Agreed mb.

Very ordinary umpiring and the same from both sides as far as discipline and adjustment to the different rules.

Having said that many of the holding the ball interpretations were nonsensical. :spin

QPR_Richmond

Da da da da da Hoops!
Jun 17, 2004
SkiddyMcGhee said:
Umpires were fine

You are YOKIN! if i wanted to hear the whistle blown 100 times i would have went to a game of netball.  Maybe it was some wizard cup rules that i dont know but gee whiz...

Some 50 meter penalties were laughable. If you cant tell the umpire he is doing his job like a prick whats the point? its an emotianal game and sonethign which most umpires will never know. Because in most instances these poeple have brought up as umpires from a young age ( i.e umpiring u/12 instead of playing u/16). They simply dont understand the spirit of the game.

But i do agree with a post earlier, they effected both sides.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Umps were just frustrating tonight......good hit out I thought, could even take to mid year before we click with new game plan....went back in their shells late in the game when they were trying to save the game, rather than have the confidence and belief to win the thing....

Curtiger

Tiger Champion
Oct 26, 2004
Moreland, Melbourne
It was a disgusting display of umpiring. It made me want to hit my head against the nearby window until either the window or I break.
I liked the initial 50m called against us. It was the right call, made at the very start of the season. Good timing, but they'd already forgotten the standards by the next quarter.

Curtis :-X

QPR_Richmond

Da da da da da Hoops!
Jun 17, 2004
Look im not one for picking minor instances but here goes. First 1/4 the pies got a 50 meter penalty in which was later converted into a super goal. The thing was there was no body on the mark and there player played on and was still awarded a 9 point goal?!?. nit picking, sorry.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
mb64 said:
Ordinary umpiring but both sides were affected.

Agreed mb64. Did not think the decisions had any impact on the final result though. Even the Collingwood guy sitting next to me was as perplexed as we were. Maybe they have been instructed to pay more holding the ball penalties??

AZZORP

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 20, 2004
Were the 50's and holding the balls Wizz cup rules or were they just shocking decisions?

The 50 m rule in our game is a blot on the game. You belt and scrag a bloke and its play on .... yet have your socks down or look sideways at an umpire and it costs u a 50 and often a goal.... absolute *smile* i'm afraid. It costs u 9 points coz u back chat an umpire, it's crazy!!!!

And before anyone says, but thems the rules u just shouldnt do it, i dont buy that one.

Change the rule to remove the 50 except for major breaches which prevent an opposition player from playing on, scoring etc. 50's are paid for such minor infringements and often have a significant impact on a game. When did running across the mark when a player is bending down and pulling up his socks ever retard a player ?? Crap!!

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Actually AZZ I think the free you are referring to (or the 50) was paid against our runner for running through the mark. ::)

Technical but.... ::)

Mikee

Will we ever get there?
Feb 21, 2003
Melbourne
Maggots tonight were probably the worst I've ever seen.......absolutely disgraceful. If that is the trend for the season, I feel sorry for the 16 clubs in the AFL........

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
I couldnt understand the frees awarded to Knoble in the ruck.

Thought the holding the ball rule was alittle inconsistant.

JR8

Tiger Legend
Apr 23, 2003
Melbourne - Eastern Subs
SkiddyMcGhee said:
Umpires were fine................poor skills under pressure killed us, again

Were you watching the game Skiddy. They were an absolute disgrace!!

What do you expect when Gieschen is in charge (he is still in charge of the umps isn't he???).

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
what umpire aint frustrating to watch?

toffs on the rules commitee have a cuppa sit down and go, gee we better look like were doin something huh, lets make some new rules up blah blah blah and then guess what..... they all come to the game and sit and watch their new monster in action and who cops all the blame... yep you guessed it...

THE UMPIRES! its always the umpires fault. not the Rules Committee, not the AFL, not even the game its the umpires fault :(

I follow every code of football and i find aussie rules has the largest room for error because of the width of interpretation given to the umpires by the rules which you have to admit are fairly grey and far from black and white like a knock on in rugby etc. this tends to make the game at times get very fruastrating to watch and overall very confusing.

but to keep harping on about umpires, you'll be doin it till then end of time. i can garuntee you the same will happen next week, and then the next and so on so why waste the energy?

if we'd of kicked straight and played better it wouldnt bother you so much.... funny that.

SkiddyMcGhee said:
Umpires were fine................poor skills under pressure killed us, again

I Agree Skidz.