Umpires tonight | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpires tonight

BrettC

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 27, 2004
I would say the umpires were terrible even if we won the game.  We copped some schocking decisions, so did the pies.

The first 50 against Tuck was VERY technical. A player does the right thing by checking the player with the ball and he gets penalised.

The frees against Josh Fraser were laughable, a slight foot on the line and 'beep'. This new ruck rule is a joke if they are going be using Tennis-like line calling for an inch outside the circle.

The free against Richo for holding a ball he didnt have was appauling... but enough said already about that one.

Most 50's were given due to some kind of 'verbal violation'. Gees... get some tough skin umps, you shouldn't be in this job if you cant take criticism.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Umpiring

I couldnt go to the game as i worked and hate the wiz cup as well but i did watch the replay. I thought umpiring was terrible for both teams. All those 50m penaltys for swearing/ Geez thats crap. Over umpiring again - they had no idea, one umpire would blow his whistle for a mark when kicked backwards where the other would say play on. One umpire gave a 9pt goal to pies when it shouldnt have been. Disgracefull

afl season should 24 rnds, no wiz cup

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
I agree the umpiring was poor but theyre still just interpreting the rules arent they, if theres a whistle there they have to give the penalty.

better off putting your energies into what we should of done to NOT get the penalty rather than blame the ump ALL THE TIME.

it'll happen all year and theres nothin you can do about it but moan groan mumble sttutter swear whatever but youre still wasting your breath in the end.

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
Anyone tell me why a free was paid against Gas (Ithink) in the 2nd Q when he was tackled front on around the neck? Looked very bad up our end, thought he had the free.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
blx said:
I agree the umpiring was poor but theyre still just interpreting the rules arent they, if theres a whistle there they have to give the penalty.

better off putting your energies into what we should of done to NOT get the penalty rather than blame the ump ALL THE TIME.

it'll happen all year and theres nothin you can do about it but moan groan mumble sttutter swear whatever but youre still wasting your breath in the end.

You are right blx...nothing we can do about it. Funny thing though. I have watched two other Wizz games on Fox and there was nowhere the number of holding the ball decisions as in our game....seemed to be mainly against us BTW, or am I biased here?

QPR_Richmond

Da da da da da Hoops!
Jun 17, 2004
Spot on graystar. I was watching a few other games in the wizard cup and the level was far better. Just use some common sense, especially with the holding the ball decisions.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
What a disgrace the umpiring in the AFL is !! Every year they try to become the central figures in the game with ridiculous "grandstanding". The rules don't need changing....the interpretations just need to be consistent with a thread of common sense applied in-between.

Sam Newman proved umpiring isn't as hard as these clowns are making it out to be.

Sack Geischen and get the AFL to keep their de-sensitising and interfering noses out of the way the game is to be interpreted. That means YOU Anderson you wanker !!!

feisty tige

Tiger Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Dandenong
In the Wiz Cup booklet it has the umpires and umpires to be trialled in the wizard cup.

No. 34 was a trial umpire (From recollection) and obviously liked his face on the telly (IMO)

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Paul Roos hit the nail on the head in the paper today. If you want to speed up the game and/or avoid packs, simply get the umpires to throw it up straight away, thus avoiding the 30 second mini drama of each bounce allowing all players to converge around the ball up.

tigertrue

! tiger time
Dec 17, 2002
it was so poor/laughable but it's become part of the furniture over the last 4-5 seasons.

it's probably not the umpires directly - no - but those that give them umm.. (isn't there a more appropriate word) "direction".

the AFL must take ultimate responsibility, it's a blight on the game and the number one issue today!

OVERUMPIRING - they are only there to stop the players illegally killing each other (ie. not in the act of retrieving the ball)

the rest is theatre of a kind i'm just not interested in paying to see.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
They've gone overboard with the holding the ball rule. It appears you merely need to grab the jumper these days to be awarded the free kick. On a few occasions the player wasn't even impeded and managed to get the handball off, but the umpire blew the whistle immediatly. It's a disgrace!!

And the 50m rule for swearing. Are they serious? This will cause all sorts of controversies if it becomes a rule in the home and away season.

QPR_Richmond

Da da da da da Hoops!
Jun 17, 2004
Spot on harry- It seems you dont even have to retard the player at any level to get a holding the ball decision. For example when richo got pinged in the first half. Deplorable.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Harry said:
They've gone overboard with the holding the ball rule. It appears you merely need to grab the jumper these days to be awarded the free kick. On a few occasions the player wasn't even impeded and managed to get the handball off, but the umpire blew the whistle immediatly. It's a disgrace!!

And the 50m rule for swearing. Are they serious? This will cause all sorts of controversies if it becomes a rule in the home and away season.

I wouldn't be worried harold. Every year they crack down on some 'interpretation' but by round 3 everything is back to normal. Remember I said this that by round 6, the media will be asking what happened to the new interpretations that we saw earlier in the year.

BTW Apparently they are going to crack down on backmen whacking forwards' arms to stop them marking. KB pointed out to the Geish that this has been around since the game started. The Geish acknowledged this but said it was outside the spirit and they would crack down on it. LMAO at the Geish.

zips

The NEW Tigers of SAME OLD, SAME OLD!
Apr 19, 2004
Harry said:
And the 50m rule for swearing.  Are they serious?  This will cause all sorts of controversies if it becomes a rule in the home and away season.
Typical umpires who are weak as *smile*. Get a life & get into the spirit of the game to understand the player's emotions. If you take a close look at the replay for the first 50m against Richo, you will find that all he said was..."Have a f*cking look!" This is not a direct personal remark at the umpire. FFS, they need to snap out of it.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
You all realise of course that the game is only played for the benefit of the umpires, they need somewhere to be able to prance around and carry on like a technicolour gestapo.
Not satisfied with being allowed to remain involved in a game they have no ability to play, they have insidiously crept into total domination of our beloved footy.
First they started with the over theatrical gestures so that the crowd would understand what the free was being paid for.
They also moved into having numbers for the umps, so the fans would know who was who and perhaps some poor innocent child would be tempted to have the umpies number on his back just like the players have.
Of course we had to have the umpires miked so every one at home could hear the m instructing the players on how to actualy play the game, just in case the coaches hadn't done the job properly in the first place.
And of course the bright flouro outfits, only because the players out on the field couldn't see the umpires on the paddock but have you noticed how well they come up on t.v.
Sam Newman may be a serious *smile* in a lot of the things he does but he is absolutely on the money in what he has been saying about the maggots for years.

feisty tige

Tiger Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Dandenong
I wish the umpires were back in white! How long had Eddie9 have the footy and then they change the umpires uniforms? So what if Wizard are the sponsor, surely they could just have their logo on orange on the front or something.

And bring back the white coats and hats too, then the goalies can't mince around too much. Nothing irks me more than seeing them crane their necks to see where the ball is going to go, when it is on the wing being kicked in the opposite direction, just in case it comes back for a goal!

Calm Blue Ocean.... Calm Blue Ocean..... :help

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
From now on I refuse to call these cheating *smile* little cheats umpires.
I will be referring to them by what they are.

Cheating *smile* on field game controllers.

Up to their usual deplorable standard they save for Richmond games.
The amount of soft frees awarded to carlton, the same that weren’t paid to Richmond is doing my head in again.

I’ve had a guts full.
If Richmond don’t start to call these *smile* cheats out for what they are, I’m keeping my membership money. I’m sick of the contrived game that is contrived sports entertainment instead of a competitive game played on its own merits. Without the cheating influence of 4 cheats appointed by the most corrupt “sporting”organisation” in Australia.
The afl can go and get *smile*
The on field game controllers can go and get *smile*

Especially that slicked backed on field controller #2. Running his finger's through his product laden hair, looking at himself on the screen and getting a stiffy looking at himself. I’m calling this cheating *smile* *smile* out. He can go and get *smile* 10 ways.
And if poofters is PC incorrect, I don’t give a *smile* *smile*. I don’t follow that *smile*. He is what he is. Gays are ok. But he is a cheating *smile* *smile*.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
They have way too much influence on the outcome of games, it just should not be the case that umpires can influence the outcome but we see it all the time and not just in Richmond games.

Total farce.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
That non-advantage where Lynch ended up with a free kick 70 metres out with no one to kick to was absolutely ridiculous. If advantage was paid we had players free throughout the forward 50.

Reactions: 2 users