Unlucky Talents who were ruined by injury. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Unlucky Talents who were ruined by injury.

Not an injury as such, but the following is an excerpt from Tigerland about a player killed during WWI, as related by dual premiership captain Dan Minogue:

"Minogue said the hero of the Victorian win was a young Richmond player who he knew only as Lee. He was unknown and unbeatable. He played in the ruck and dominated play.

Minogue said, 'I believe had he survived the war, Richmond would have had a magnificent player - another Jack Dyer - in young Lee. He was a giant in build, hard of muscle and wonderful of heart.'"

Would have been Les "Leggo" Lee. He was killed in Belgium.

Only played 2 games for us.

Yep, well he would have been what we termed a "Collingwood six-footer" - 5'11½".

Funny that Minogue would consider Lee a giant when he, himself, was 183 cm.

Bit different to another Lee who played for us at 199 cm.

Tony Free
Bruce Tempany
Brad Gwilliam (was looking good as a FB)
Mark Merenda
Justin Charles
Stuart Wigney
Neale Daniher
Jamie Lawson
Garth someone. Ruckman for Sydney who had his throat smashed in. May not have made it but it cut his career short before we could find out.

Tigerdog said:
Tony Free
Bruce Tempany
Brad Gwilliam (was looking good as a FB)
Mark Merenda
Justin Charles
Stuart Wigney
Neale Daniher
Jamie Lawson
Garth someone. Ruckman for Sydney who had his throat smashed in. May not have made it but it cut his career short before we could find out.

Gareth Johns? Cleaned up in a ruck duel by S. Madden? Maybe.....i remember Johns being very critical of Madden's attitude afterwards.

A lad from the northern suburbs named S. Truggletown.

Completely ruined his career by alcohol, drugs,all night parties and world travel.
No talent and plenty of rests by tribunals were additional reasons.

Tragic if he wasn't so happy ;)

That S.Truggletown fella also spreads happiness nowadays through his avatars.

Bless his heart. :clap

Tim Barling - going great guns in 1985 till he wrecked his knee.

Stephen Pirrie - same, but in 1982.

I think Ednie could have been a lot better than some people realise. He had a knack of getting his hands on the ball, and he was very apt at overcomming his lack of size by utilizing his low centre of gravity. He's one i wish we'd given a little more time.

Out club has been very unlucky since 1995 with career ending injuries to players no club could afford to lose!

Free, Turner, Daffy, Charles (chronic hip), Merenda (chronic back), Ottens (chronic wallet), Stuart Edwards (hammys), Wigney (broken ankle right when he had tremendous momentumn) Bulluss (delisted because of chronic knee) and the problem even extends into our coaching list - Frawley (Lobotomy)

Steve Pirrie looked like a real find at FB in 82 before doing his knee. He then ended up at Essendon, and i remember him playing against us in an Army Reserves Cup game. There was an incident after which Steve James decided to go up and remonstrate with Pirrie.

Pirrie hit him with a straight right right in the fangs and Bomber James staggered back and then shaped up to him - at a very safe 10 paces away, and that was the closest James went to him for the rest of the game!

frickenel said:
Steve Pirrie looked like a real find at FB in 82 before doing his knee. He then ended up at Essendon, and i remember him playing against us in an Army Reserves Cup game. There was an incident after which Steve James decided to go up and remonstrate with Pirrie.

Pirrie hit him with a straight right right in the fangs and Bomber James staggered back and then shaped up to him - at a very safe 10 paces away, and that was the closest James went to him for the rest of the game!

I think Pirrie also had a stint at St Kilda didn't he?