V8 Supercars Bathurst 1000 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

V8 Supercars Bathurst 1000

clown

Tiger Superstar
Mar 16, 2004
Im a big Tigers fan but also love my V8 super cars (Holden man thru and thru). Now with Ford pulling it's sponsorship from all but a couple of teams there is talk of other manufacturers becoming involved. I know many V8 fans are opposed to this but i think it can only be a positive to the sport as long as they stick with the V8 format. Team Vodafone is in talks with Toyota but i think Dodge/Chrysler would be a better fit for the series maybe a car based on the 300c ,i cant see what car Toyota would use because the only car they sell with a V8 here is a Land Cruiser. I would like to hear other fans opinion on this or any other V8 supercar subject.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
Re: V8 Supercars

Here wo go. I'll pass comment and wait for the flames to be thrown. LOL

The problem with the V8 Supercar Series is they will not countenance any non V8's competing because they may be embarrassed by the result.
This is what happened years ago when the 6 cylinder Nissan GodZilla wiped the V8's off the track at Bathurst. Result? Ban them and restrict the format to ancient technology American V8's.
Over time, many young people continue to hold the V8's in awe because they have never had the opportunity to witness superior cars on the track.

The most recent Motor magazine was raving about the latest FPV and HSV vehicles. They even did tests at Winton and both managed a 1:45 lap time. WOW! OTH, I regularly compete at Winton (Fiat X1/9) and I've seen a 1500cc 4 cylinder Alfa Sprint do a 1:44 and an Austin Healey Sprite go under 1:40. A stock 2 litre naturally aspirated Renault Clio Sport does a 1:43. My own X1/9 driven by my 17y.o son does a 1:48.

V8's? Great in a straight line. Hopeless around corners. Should stick to NASCAR.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne

poppa x said:

The problem with the V8 Supercar Series is they will not countenance any non V8's competing because they may be embarrassed by the result.
This is what happened years ago when the 6 cylinder Nissan GodZilla wiped the V8's off the track at Bathurst. Result? Ban them and restrict the format to ancient technology American V8's.
Over time, many young people continue to hold the V8's in awe because they have never had the opportunity to witness superior cars on the track.

The most recent Motor magazine was raving about the latest FPV and HSV vehicles. They even did tests at Winton and both managed a 1:45 lap time. WOW! OTH, I regularly compete at Winton (Fiat X1/9) and I've seen a 1500cc 4 cylinder Alfa Sprint do a 1:44 and an Austin Healey Sprite go under 1:40. A stock 2 litre naturally aspirated Renault Clio Sport does a 1:43. My own X1/9 driven by my 17y.o son does a 1:48.

V8's? Great in a straight line. Hopeless around corners. Should stick to NASCAR.

It will be interesting to see if this holds true though in the next 10-20 years with the oil situation changing car buying habits.

One of the reasons for the success of the V8's is that your bloke from Narre Warren can watch a V8 go round the rack, and then look out onto the drive way and see a very similar (relatively similar :)) car. With 99% of this country driving a falcon or a commodore, it made sense.

With the oil price rise here to stay though, men's car buying habits are beginning to shift again. As the V8 becomes less and less relevant on Australian roads, I would not be surprised is a similar thing happens on the race track, and (hopefully) we open it up again to other similar classes of car.

clown

Tiger Superstar
Mar 16, 2004

poppa x said:

Yeah and im shure there are many OLD holden and ford that people have spent money on that could beat the hsv and fpv times as well. As for the v8's being embaressed thats just rubbish because they are restricted and controlled to keep the cost down and make it competitive. If they want to bring in boring 4's and 6's then let then turbocharge the v8's as well. Things have changed since the late 80's and early 90's im shure todays cars handle much better than the vl and vp commodores.

WJP

Tiger Rookie
Jul 28, 2003
VIC

I love all sorts of motor sport from go carts to F1 . My work just happens to sponsor a major team in the V8's and they will most likely be also pulling their sponsorship next year because of the way things are with the economy.
Do i think that it would be good if other manufactuer's joined the championship? Of course I do it is starting to get a bit boring and predictable I used to love the old days of seeing cars like Capri's,Mini's,Datsuns and Jags also going around.
The reason they made it V8's and just Holden v Ford because the crowd's and money wasn't coming in and it saved the championship.
Maybe it will be time again to move with the times.

clown

Tiger Superstar
Mar 16, 2004

WJP said:
I love all sorts of motor sport from go carts to F1 . My work just happens to sponsor a major team in the V8's and they will most likely be also pulling their sponsorship next year because of the way things are with the economy.
Do i think that it would be good if other manufactuer's joined the championship? Of course I do it is starting to get a bit boring and predictable I used to love the old days of seeing cars like Capri's,Mini's,Datsuns and Jags also going around.
The reason they made it V8's and just Holden v Ford because the crowd's and money wasn't coming in and it saved the championship.
Maybe it will be time again to move with the times.
Yeah i used to like it when they had the different classes running at the same time and no safety car,there was always a good stack or 3

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Im a V8 fan.Sadly though just like F1 its turning into a pit stratergy race rather than car vs car because the closeness of both ford and holden due to the parity rules.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
Agreed Jonno.
Which is why my preferred motor sport is the British Touring Car Championship where the cars are significantly different and the races shorter so it discounts pit strategies. The drivers include Jason Plato (5th gear fame) and are totally certifiable.
I also enjoy the Improved Production Series and Historics here in 'oz. But it's not televised.

clown

Tiger Superstar
Mar 16, 2004
poppa x said:
Agreed Jonno.
Which is why my preferred motor sport is the British Touring Car Championship where the cars are significantly different and the races shorter so it discounts pit strategies. The drivers include Jason Plato (5th gear fame) and are totally certifiable.
I also enjoy the Improved Production Series and Historics here in 'oz. But it's not televised.
Jason plato teamed up with brocky , the last time he raced at bathurst he got a huge shunt from behind at the start of the race and so brocky never got a start in his last race. Yeah hopefully the new changes next year will make it more competitive. I'm not a big fan of short races though

tannerztigers

He will Conca the world
Jul 4, 2006
Jan Juc
The big one is this weekend!

Lownes/Windcup are favourites last time I checked.

Should be a great race.

Hopefully it is as action packed as the last few years. Last years Ambrose V Murphy incident & the emotions of 2006 were special.

GO FORD!

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Pretty funny they get a bloke (Ian Moss) to perform the anthem and he needs the words on a bit of paper!:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Lucky for the rest of the field Mostert got a puncture coz otherwise him and Holdsworth were gonna make this very boring.

Quickest car by far all week long, right into race day.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
How many **** safety cars in the last 30 laps does Mostert have to incur !!!

Ffs can any of these other guys get around without a **** truck having to pick them up ?? Mostert and Holdsworth must be thinking “WTF ?? Again ???”