Venezuela 1 drew Australia 1 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Venezuela 1 drew Australia 1

JPM

Will Richmond ever be the one?
Sep 3, 2003
East Melbourne
Socceroos concede last-gasp equaliser
Feb 19 12:18
AAP

A last-gasp goal from Venezuela's Juan Arango grabbed his side a 1-1 draw against an unlucky Socceroos side in their friendly international at the Stadio Olimpico today.

Paul Agostino's 17th minute goal looked for most of the game like it would be enough for the Socceroos to inflict only Venezuela's second home defeat in 14 internationals.

The 1860 Munich striker slotted home the rebound from close-range after a Craig Moore header hit the post.

But Arango, who had impressed throughout, scored two minutes into stoppage time when he snuck unmarked to the far post and banged home a close-range volley.

Despite being without seven first-choice players, Australia controlled the match throughout.

The Socceroos dominated the first half, then soaked up Venezuela's pressure in the second half as the home side pushed forward in search of an equaliser.

An assured Australian defensive performance, led by centre-backs Moore and Tony Popovic, ensured the South Americans were restricted to long-range shots and rarely troubled the Socceroos.

Any hopes of a Venezuela fightback looked dashed 20 minutes from time when Jose Manuel Rey was sent off for a second bookable offence - a cynical challenge on Australia's Mile Sterjovski.

Then Arango, who had looked Venezuela's only dangerous player, broke the Socceroos' hearts with his last-minute strike.

The Socceroos, who were without stars Mark Viduka and Harry Kewell, also lost Birmingham City midfielder Stan Lazaridis through injury midway through the first half.

Lazaridis appeared to injure his leg in a seemingly innocuous challenge and was immediately replaced.

The Socceroos' next match is against South Africa in London on March 30.

http://afr.com/articles/2004/02/19/1077072756078.html

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Hey FBF, so it's not easy being yellow and black, eh?

Well I reckon following Richmond or the Socceroos is on about a par - break your heart! :'(