Water boy/girls? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Water boy/girls?

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
I'm just curious - been meaning to ask this for some time.....

Q. Where does RFC find the water boys/girls? Are they volunteers? Or paid?

Q. Why does it appear / seem that the players NEVER say thanks? Indeed it often seems like they are totally dismissive of the person? During our Premiership era there was so much discussion about 'culture' but I'm yet to understand why the players don't acknowledge the water person/service. Its simple common courtesy (isn't it?)

Reactions: 1 users
normally its training staff, the poeple who do the taping etc, small role fitness staff, etc etc

It's why have a partnership with Swinburne Uni. Swinburne Uni the biggest physio/sporting knowledge uni in Vic. Every year Uni students in those fields need to do practical experience/internships in some org. Guess who gets the pick of the crop and then can pick and chose who works game day.

Guess who gets "work experience" in an elite sporting environment. Win-win.

That partnership was superb decision by the people in charge at the RFC.

Reactions: 1 user
water carriers would be instructed not to engage in small talk
same as the players, it might be construed as a secret message tactic and/or player not being 100% focussed.

“Guess who gets the pick of the crop and then can pick and chose who works game day”

I didn’t know that we have this link with Swinburne albeit I respectfully contend that some of the water carriers are not in the ‘physical shape or condition” to suggest that they are 'pick of the crop'.

“water carriers would be instructed not to engage in small talk
same as the players, it might be construed as a secret message tactic and/or player not being 100% focussed”

I understand this – but – there is a difference between small talk and common courtesy. A nod of the head or a brief thank you is far more beneficial than indifference. No elite organisation would give this instruction (IMHO) as it’s culturally flawed.

PS – similarly its why players were instructed (as I understand) to hand the balls to persons in the crowd after the match – not kick them – as it’s the personal link that is important – not the free football.

"“Guess who gets the pick of the crop and then can pick and chose who works game day”

I didn’t know that we have this link with Swinburne albeit I respectfully contend that some of the water carriers are not in the ‘physical shape or condition” to suggest that they are 'pick of the crop'. " ......
They're sports science and physio students and graduates. They don't have to be in peak physical condition. The ones that understand the role and execute it best and fit in with the club and players and want to do the work get first dibs.

Is your doctor or physio in peak physical condition ?

They're sports science and physio students and graduates. They don't have to be in peak physical condition. The ones that understand the role and execute it best and fit in with the club and players and want to do the work get first dibs.
Is your doctor or physio in peak physical condition ?
Quickest and fittest hands in the Biz for writing out scripts!