Weak Links | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Weak Links

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
While we have taken some steps forward this season, we still have anumber of weak links in our side.

I can think of 4 players from last night who I dont think should be in our best team. Along with 2 more who need to improve or spend some time with Coburg.

I think our depth has been found wanting again, and surely this needs to come back to the recruiters.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
The test will be this week. Greg Miller after the Collingwood match wanted to see how as a club we react to "a" loss. I'm sure he'll be interested in how we as a club we react and respond to this loss after 4 straight wins. Good sides back up after a poor performances (which last night was) with renewed hunger and a win. We can't be satisfied with a "respectable" loss. We were ordinary in our disposal and decision making last night even given our weakened structure without Richo, Otto and Dutchy. Turnovers across half-back especially hurt us as they resulted in easy goals to Port.

I agree DF that a few players out there last night wouldn't be in our best 22 but we also had too many passengers from those who are in our best 22 as well. Port had about 40 more possessions than us. You ain't gunna win many games doing that.

Our biggest mistake in recruitment was not picking up another tall or two in the rookie draft that could of been promoted when Otto went down.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
WHO NEEDS TO BE SHOT:

1. Spud. For leaving Zantuck on Shaun Burgoyne all night. Surprised he didn't put Houlihack on Nick Stevens and watch them sprint it out. Probably would have if he didn't get injured. No use doing your top every five seconds Danny. Take a deep breath, calm down, and who knows, maybe you can make a positive move out there.

2. Bowden. Yes he is doing ok, but with his potential he should be getting 30 touches every week. Just doesn't do enough when the chips are down. When we lose Bowden never is in our best.

3. Pettifer. Never seen anybody whinge after EVERY SINGLE contest except this guy. Must have had an uncle or two umpiring when he he won those medals before he came to Richmond. I've given him some lee way in the past, but I now sentence him to 6 weeks hard labour at Coburg (pentridge if it was still running).

4. Rogers. Another awesome display by the artless roger. Knows how to find the footy but doesn't know what to do with it. Coburg and a delisting beckons.

5. Hall. The brain signals get short circuited at his knees. Making Richo's kicking look like Darren Jarman's.

6. Just about the whole team. We will always struggle against the top sides because we haven't got the skills to match it with them. Sure we have the endeavour, but that doesn't mean much when you go up agaisnt a team that doesn't make mistakes. When you have players like Hall, Rogers, Bowden, Gaspar, Kellaway, Fleming, Richo in your side its a recipe for disaster. Too many uncos, too many turn overs.

The only uncos at Essendon are Jason Johnson and sometimes Scott Lucas, but even he's got better disposal than the bunch mentioned above.

Sorry for the negative post, but i have to vent.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
As i've always said - you are only as good as your weakest link. If the Campbells and the Coughlans bust their backside to get the ball and get it going forward, and you've got eggs like peticoat and hand grenade etc. turning it over again and again, then you might aswell be hitting your head against a brick wall.

I didn't see the game, but I expected this result. No doubt our ball winning ability in the middle has improved on last year, but we are still very rough around the edges.

We need to be introducing more polished players such as McGrath into the team, and soon.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
JohnF said:
WHO NEEDS TO BE SHOT:

3. Pettifer. Never seen anybody whinge after EVERY SINGLE contest except this guy. Must have had an uncle or two umpiring when he he won those medals before he came to Richmond.

What medals did Kayne win?
P.S. His brother is an umpire in the Goulburn Valley League.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
I wasn't aware of it myself, but apparently he won the Larke Medal for the best player in the National u/18's competition.

For the low-down on Kayne, here's your old mate Warpig spinning it about how good he is in the link below.

http://richmondtigers.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=1495&p=2&stid=8206013

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Haha Warpig......Time to pay up young fella.
While you're at it John, feel free to put a link to my Duncan report I did in that series. ;D

I thought Kayne won an award in the under 18 carnival, not the TAC competition.

Was the Larke medal what Rodan won a couple of times too?

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Ah, just realised now that you were "that" Rosy. I always wondered about that site; why would you start with player reviews of Dunc and Punk (Pettifer). There is only one man there worthy of a review.. and we all know who it is... Clinton King.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
By the way I have to change my avatar again, feel like throwing up everytime I see Brereton's head. :-X

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Whilst I am disappointed to lose, I was happy that we didn't capitulate and get blown away.

The last quarter was pretty crap with our disposal, but we hung in there which has been a rare thing at Richmond.

As far as our depth goes, we have some many good players out injured of course our depth will be exposed.

Name me a team that has out injured at one time their CHF, FF, CHB, Ruck Rover, main tagger plus numerous other starting 22 players.

Injuries have been ultra cruel to us again this year, so if we can remain in the positive win / loss ratio until we get some or most of these players back I will be happy.

But weak links like Pettifer and Rogers have to go back to Coburg. Poor old "hand grenade" Rogers is a complete liability up the ground. Leave him in the goal square. As for Kayne. Are we the only people that witness his carry on. Danny, Britts, Miller, Flea..anybody, grab this kid by the scruff of the neck and tell him with force that he is a joke of a footy player who needs to put his head over the ball and stop whinging.
Then put a video comparison between a real champion like Andrew McLeod and himself on how they deal with umpiring decisions not going their way. McLeod barely even bothers to shake his head. He gets up and get back to the job at hand. Kayne carries on like a 3 yr old at the supermarket being told he can't have a kinder surprise.
Somebody please save this kid before he wastes his career and the club wastes a valuable pick 8.

Out: Campbo, Houla,

In: Vardy, Nicholls

With the bummers short on height, we should bring in Shultz as well, but they won't.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
weak links:
hilton-sems to have gone back to his old habit and playing lazy football with a lazy attitude to go with it.last chance this season.
zantuck-granted he had a interupted pre-season however like hilton his attitude is very much misguided for someone who has only had ONE good season.
fiora-im not sure what is wrong with aaron however atm he is dissapointing.he hasnt come on as expected.you would think by now he would be up there with the likes of coughlan etc.trade bait perhaps.
hall-to be fair to the guy he is our 5th best tall.however he,s been in the system long enough now to be able to at least take a mark and not do the goofy things that he continue,s to do.trade bait for another tall maybe.
bowden-some people have a go at rogers etc because of his lack of skill.well hell here,s a bloke who has all the skill i nthe world but dosent bother to put it to good use.time is running out joel!

Hungry

Bring back the Tiger mongrel
Mar 18, 2003
I saw most of the game and, really, it wasn't all that bad. Still infuriating, though. I have a special hatred of Port Adelaide (maybe it's the colours), and it's annoying no end to see atrocious umpiring decisions going their way.

With our full line up we might have had a chance, we were crying out for a Richo to give their backline a bit of anxiety. Don't forget their structure was there (with the exception of Primus), while ours was not.

As for Richmond, injuries were really starting to show - losing Campbell & Houla didn't help - but we're missing quality talls and some handy runners, too (I hope it's not going to be another season determined by injury).

Rogers: People are right, he was shocking. Matty to me looks like age is catching up with him - some of his handballs to Port had to be seen to be believed and I'm afraid many AFL footballers get that similar look when their just a bit old - how old is he?

Pettifer: Yes, must be dropped. Wonder if he has what it takes mentally for the AFL. Really, Krakouer puts him to shame - completely different approaches.

Hilton: I thought he was one of our better players - good to see him find form.

Hall: Will only ever be a fourth or fifth tall - suffers when the focus is on him.

At least we've got this - They're bloody hopeless in the finals!

By the way, when are we going to play them on our home ground? I don't think we've played them here since 98 - I love to give them a good old thumping on the 'g.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Hungry said:
By the way, when are we going to play them on our home ground? I don't think we've played them here since 98 - I love to give them a good old thumping on the 'g.

We are playing them in Melb. this year - round 21, Sunday 24/8/03 at Telstra Dumb (er I mean Dome ;D)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I agree with Hungry, it's about time we met Port at the G.
Oh well, come September clubs that never get to see the G must be at a disadvantage.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
johnson2richo2003 said:
bowden-some people have a go at rogers etc because of his lack of skill.well hell here,s a bloke who has all the skill i nthe world but dosent bother to put it to good use.time is running out joel!

Joel was caught out bigtime being one sided. He ran a long way around the boundary with someone chasing close behind and was pinged for either running too far or holding the ball cos he couldn't get it onto his preferred foot to kick it.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
rosy3 said:
johnson2richo2003 said:

Joel was caught out bigtime being one sided. He ran a long way around the boundary with someone chasing close behind and was pinged for either running too far or holding the ball cos he couldn't get it onto his preferred foot to kick it.

Wasn't Joel expecting Pettifer to shepard for him but Kayne just kept running waiting for the easy handpass?