Welcome Noah Cumberland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Noah Cumberland

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Cody Weightman tonight. 64 games

3 goals first quarter

Game - 9 disposals, 0 pressure acts, 4 tackles,

Team wins by 12 goals. Zero criticism would be my best guess

Anzac Day last year -

Noah Cumberland - about 15 games

3 goals first quarter

7 Disposals, 15 pressure acts, 3 tackles

And plenty of critics for going quiet later in game

Symbolises a certain thought process

Good bloke bonus v not good bloke tax

They even interviewed Weightman after the game
so...if we play Cumberland he does the same thing as weightman?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
A lot of comments on Noah from both sides of the fence. My views is Noah is not in the team for 2 reasons and both affect the team negatively.

1 - He goes down far too easily with life changing injuries and then bounces back up 1 minute later, but we have been exposed the other way
2 - He's in his head too much. Much has been made of Noah vs MRJ, why is 1 in the team and the other isn't. I'll go back to the Sydney game. MRJ's 1st half he'd won something like 8 or 9 disposals with only 3 being effective as he turned the ball over a few times in the corridor. He didn't let his head drop though, he kept doing that and from then on he had a similar number of touches but was at about 80%odd, whilst continue to play to instruction and take the game on through the corridor. I have zero confidence that Noah would have done the same, he dwells on mistakes way too often, we've seen it happen in the VFL and the AFL and he then either over tries to correct the mistake and makes further errors, or he goes into his shell.

People looking for more info as to why he's not in the team IMO are looking into it too deeply. I believe the above are the reasons.

Number 2 in particular will be fatal for him if he can't correct it. AFL more than many other sports, you make more mistakes due to the speed, intensity and endurance impacts of the game, but you cannot dwell on the errors, you simply have to move on to the next contest, but Noah doesn't seem to be able to leave those errors behind unfortunately.

I really hope he can as his skill level is very good, and he's exactly what we would love to have in our forward line.

Reactions: 12 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
2 - He's in his head too much. Much has been made of Noah vs MRJ, why is 1 in the team and the other isn't. I'll go back to the Sydney game. MRJ's 1st half he'd won something like 8 or 9 disposals with only 3 being effective as he turned the ball over a few times in the corridor. He didn't let his head drop though, he kept doing that and from then on he had a similar number of touches but was at about 80%odd, whilst continue to play to instruction and take the game on through the corridor. I have zero confidence that Noah would have done the same, he dwells on mistakes way too often, we've seen it happen in the VFL and the AFL and he then either over tries to correct the mistake and makes further errors, or he goes into his shell.
What you're basically saying is he's put Emma Murray in a straight jacket.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Watched a few of the highlights of the vfl game. It looked to me the Noah was doing a few more “Cumbo” like things. He was a bit scrappy but was involved more.

Hopefully this is the start back to some form because he needs performance to put his name back in the frame.

His point of difference is that he is a goal kicker and we need that but first he needs to be kicking goals.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
yep. The game last year against the suns was the watershed game for him imo. There were two guys in our team that day who dropped their heads because they were getting schooled, Cumbo and Sonsie. Sonsie actually got subbed out after being given a lesson in hardwork by BEllis. The positive for me is that he has come back this year super fit and is working hard and hopefully that will pay off for him.

Cumbo might have played the next week or so but I recall seeing him play against the Bulldogs later in the year and what I saw was that he was obviously trying really hard, clearly he had got the message, but that he was playing almost manic football, very anxious and making a lot of mistakes. I think he got injured and didn't play again in 2023. The reports were that he was training well in the preseason as well but from what I have seen this year in the vfl and the practice matches he is a guy who clearly wants to succeed but he seems to be trying too hard. By far his best footy has been instinct footy, playing with freedom.

Somehow the club needs to get him playing with freedom and instinct again but in the structures. It is a balance that neither the club or Noah himself seems to have found yet but I would love it if it happens because guys who can come in and make an impact on the scoreboard with limited disposals are not easy to find.

Reactions: 6 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
He reminds me of James Brown, the soul singing legend, how he starts limping around and gets helped from the stage then makes a miraculous recovery. Get uppa, get on up.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
He reminds me of James Brown, the soul singing legend, how he starts limping around and gets helped from the stage then makes a miraculous recovery. Get uppa, get on up.
Geez if only the Cummerbund could perform like that.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
We’re already winning games so there’s no place for Cumbo in the side
No need to unsettle and change a winning combination

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
A lot of comments on Noah from both sides of the fence. My views is Noah is not in the team for 2 reasons and both affect the team negatively.

1 - He goes down far too easily with life changing injuries and then bounces back up 1 minute later, but we have been exposed the other way

People looking for more info as to why he's not in the team IMO are looking into it too deeply. I believe the above are the reasons.

Number 2 in particular will be fatal for him if he can't correct it. AFL more than many other sports, you make more mistakes due to the speed, intensity and endurance impacts of the game, but you cannot dwell on the errors, you simply have to move on to the next contest, but Noah doesn't seem to be able to leave those errors behind unfortunately.

I really hope he can as his skill level is very good, and he's exactly what we would love to have in our forward line.
Fully agree with your assessment. Attitude goes a long way so players who play on instinct have flair and don't go into their shell when they screw up or something doesn't go their way. I am no big fan of MRJ probably because I seem to make too much of his mistakes but he sure plays on instinct and when it comes off it looks good and he does keep going all game. From what I have seen Noah is the opposite and his head drops. Reading the latest VFL report, Morris was not exactly happy with his game

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
You’re not allowed to do black face anymore.
Me and some friends found out the hard way when we did a skit on red faces.
You weren't one of that mob of Indians that did blackface Michael Jackson by any chance and totally pissed off Hairy Gonads jnr in the process???

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

you forgot reason 3- he has kicked just 2 goals in 3 games at VFL level.

Reactions: 1 user