Welcome Sam Banks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Banks

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
Thanks, watched the game, great to see two other Richmond players playing; Mansell and Elliot. I believe Elliot (if not pinched by Essendon) could be a real smokey. Reminds me of Green from GWS, big inside mid (189/88) with great hands, gets the ball inside, tackles hard and is a bull size. Well regarded by coaches after 3 VFL games, should put a lot of development into him and we could have a winner.

Reactions: 1 user

Timmy99

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 7, 2006
Canberra
Nice long form interview with Sam from pre draft.

He mentions that his dad 550 games of footy so sounds like he comes from a real football family.

Reactions: 7 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Sam was at Club 80 last night and he's an impressive young man. He speaks like a captain already, yet doesn't have any tickets on himself, and cites leadership as a strength. At the end of the interview he took the mic to thank everyone for coming, and then worked the room. It wasn't just people queuing for selfies: in my case we simply made eye contact and he stepped across to chat.

Yesterday he had another cortisone injection to the wrist, and some sort of adjustment or 'rummage' around, so the wrist is still troubling him but he hopes to play a half of VFL for round 1.

Dimma seems to love ribbing him about missing training: plenty of jokes made throughout the night that Banks took well, so he's obviously developed a great rapport. In fact it feels like he's been at the club for several years already.

Now we have to make sure he doesn't end up captaining Tasmania.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 28 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Sam was asked who at the club had surprised him the most after joining the club, and he said K-Mac. He said that when watching games on TV in Tasmania he could not appreciate the off-ball work that role players do, and that K-Mac plays his role better than anybody at the club. Sam wants to get his running power up to K-Mac's level, which he said was extraordinary. He's already put on 5 kg.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26 users

Roksman

Tiger Rookie
Feb 12, 2020
He's already suffered a quad and hamstring injury since joining the club, cool your jets on him if you're expecting to see big strides this year - I think it's about him getting his body right and adjusting to the demands of AFL.

Looks a ripper though.

Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
He's already suffered a quad and hamstring injury since joining the club, cool your jets on him if you're expecting to see big strides this year - I think it's about him getting his body right and adjusting to the demands of AFL.

Looks a ripper though.
‘Rodney’ explained that due to his wrist injury last year, he went from almost no training for the entire year, to completing heavy training loads once he arrived at RFC. Had a few issues due to the step up but expects to play half a game of VFL in round 1.
He also mentioned that the surgeon in Tasmania stuffed up his wrist operation and had to get it reset when he finally arrived in Melbourne which obviously set him back a fair way.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Banksy said pretty much that himself; no expectations for games played, he just wants to set small goals like size, running power and a 1/2 of VFL in a few weeks.

He's enrolled in a business course but deferred that as this year is all about learning the ropes at Tigerland.

Banksy also dabbles in art. You've probably seen some of his work.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
God I hope he can get his body right.

I am genuinely excited about this kid.

Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up being the pick of our draft haul.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
‘Rodney’ explained that due to his wrist injury last year, he went from almost no training for the entire year, to completing heavy training loads once he arrived at RFC. Had a few issues due to the step up but expects to play half a game of VFL in round 1.
He also mentioned that the surgeon in Tasmania stuffed up his wrist operation and had to get it reset when he finally arrived in Melbourne which obviously set him back a fair way.
Rodney :LOL:

I thought it was Luke Hodge talking on stage

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Similar to Kmac who also took a while to get going in his 1st year due to injury

No Rush with Banks , Kid can play and is captain material and when he finishes his career he would have given it everything he has
very determined young fellow.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I can't wait to see this kid play. If his on field abilities is anything like his off field persona we'll have a beauty.
Can barely remember a more confident first year kid since Cotch.

Reactions: 3 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Banksy said pretty much that himself; no expectations for games played, he just wants to set small goals like size, running power and a 1/2 of VFL in a few weeks.

He's enrolled in a business course but deferred that as this year is all about learning the ropes at Tigerland.

Banksy also dabbles in art. You've probably seen some of his work.
You made up that last part didn’t you?

• Haha

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Fmd , he had one job

• Haha